Carry on football!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Re: Carry on football!

Post by TrickyDicky »

ferrarilover wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:35 pm There's absolutely nothing in that interview to support the view that Torquay are 'happy to let a smaller club pay for their testing'.

The chairman has made the offer. We don't know whether it has been accepted, whether that has prompted Torquay to do their own testing, or if it has changed nothing.

The risk is extremely low anyway. Torquay and the surrounding area has very low rates of the disease, and asymptomatic outdoor transmission is not thought to be a significant risk (especially compared with indoor transmission).

I really wouldn't get yourselves so wound up about it.
Are you stupid try listening to the interview again, you bunch of church mice , you’ve had the lions share of the grant already , our chairman has only offered it up because your club wasn’t interested in stepping up and doing the right thing for the welfare of all-dohhh for a killer pandemic. Use your Ferrari service money to fund them yourself humbugs
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

AFC Fylde:

"Teams are prepared to play in their FA Trophy fixtures but have the hypocrisy to declare themselves unavailable to fulfil their league fixtures".

"We sincerely hope that the National League take a tough line on those taking this stance".

👉afcfylde.co.uk/club-statement…
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Well, Port has not declared itself unavailable. I don’t know about other clubs.
IK has said he thinks it unwise, and thinks the season should be terminated but thats as far as he has gone.

Fylde’s statement was written by a merchant banker.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

They’ve covered all bases as we are one of the 16 that have signed the joint statement. As to whether are still playing on Saturday in the Trophy......it appears so.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I get the impression that SFC feel pressurised to playing this trophy game? By choice I don't think they would go anywhere near the fixture.
These clubs comments are selfish and self centered and you could criticise the lot of them if you wanted.
Haythornthwaite messed up big time in sacking Dave Challoner who was a whisker away of taking them into the EFL and Jim Bentley got them demoted (the posh word for relegated) They only started winning games towards the end of the 2019/20 season when other clubs didn't want to play and were winding down for the lockdown.
Haythornthwaite is still peed off about this and thinks he's above this level now.
No doubt if the season does continue, they will win the league-and so they should with the best players,the biggest squad and the biggest budget.
No achievement there.
ferrarilover

Post by ferrarilover »

yellowfever wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:48 pm
ferrarilover wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:35 pm There's absolutely nothing in that interview to support the view that Torquay are 'happy to let a smaller club pay for their testing'.

The chairman has made the offer. We don't know whether it has been accepted, whether that has prompted Torquay to do their own testing, or if it has changed nothing.

The risk is extremely low anyway. Torquay and the surrounding area has very low rates of the disease, and asymptomatic outdoor transmission is not thought to be a significant risk (especially compared with indoor transmission).

I really wouldn't get yourselves so wound up about it.
Have you seen the news this week or have you been out of the Country?
Southport PR9? Ring any bells?
As a team who think they belong in the EFL I would have thought testing would be a regular thing?
Southport FC are taking player/staff welfare seriously-I along with most fans agree with that.
The game shouldn't be going ahead in this pandemic-fact...
As it happens, I think Torquay do test the players and staff regularly. Indeed, I have a memory of an interview with Gary Johnson where he mentioned regular testing. I looked for it, but without being able to recall exactly when it was, it's more time than I'm willing to invest to find it. Because I can't recall the exact details and I couldn't find the video, I didn't mention it in my previous post.

As I said previously, the issue of Torquay's players and staff getting tested specifically in preparation for Saturday really shouldn't cause you too much stress; we've all enough to worry about.
merse

Post by merse »

I see comments on this thread that are at best inaccurate and mis-informed and at worst libellous...

"those cheap skates Torquay who are not bothered about testing but happy for a less well off club to pay for it instead"
~ has that actually been stated anywhere? I've listened to the Southport director saying that SFC have offered to pay for testing at their end; he hasn't said that Torquay United were 'happy for a less well off club to pay for it' and Torquay United (who never make any public statements about anything) have not said that either. All their dealings with other clubs, leagues and associations are carried out in confidence and with due respect for professionalism.

"Perhaps we should pay for their overnight hotel stay in Southport too?"
~ the person who posted that is obviously unaware that when distance and time meets the FA criteria; the travelling and overnight expenses of the away club are deductible from the gate money AFTER the match fees and similar expenses of the match officials have been similarly deducted. Of course with no gate money; that will have to be taken from the livestreaming money of which a considerable proportion will most likely come from Torquay United fans anyway.

"It's farcical that they are being ALLOWED to travel and stay overnight. Absolutely crazy"
~ how are the visitors supposed to fulfill this fixture then? Is that poster expecting them to default and become excluded from the competition and lose out on the prize money available? I shouldn't think Torquay United are particularly enamoured at having to fulfil this fixture anyway; should they then expect Southport to withdraw from the competition and suffer the same consequences?

"It’s absolutely outrageous that Torquay are refusing to test their players and staff"
~ where HAS that been stated with any authenticity?

As has already been pointed out in an earlier post on this thread; there's absolutely nothing in that interview to support the view that Torquay United are 'happy to let a smaller club pay for their testing' so I suggest those people posting their inaccurate and scandalous comments wind their necks in and respect the FACT that Torquay United are a professional club, with a professional ethos and have gone to a great deal of tme, expense and trouble to ensure the health and safety of all their players, management and staff and that of any other club they have played this season during what has been a very trying and testing time.

This forum is the first such place I have seen such disrespectful and untruthful views posted about Torquay United throughout this whole pandemic. There is simply no need for it and suggests to me a small group of people with a chip on their shoulder about their opponents being a full-time professional club.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

merse wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 am This forum is the first such place I have seen such disrespectful and untruthful views posted about Torquay United throughout this whole pandemic. There is simply no need for it and suggests to me a small group of people with a chip on their shoulder about their opponents being a full-time professional club.
If you think that’s bad, you see what some of our fans say about our own club.

It may be an unpopular opinion but I personally think we should withdraw. It’s easy for a club on the edges of relegation to say we should cancel the season, and playing this game only weakens our argument.
Sand74
----------
----------

Post by Sand74 »

The Trophy, and this season particularly, should be regionalised possibly even up to and including the Semi Finals.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sand74 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:05 am The Trophy, and this season particularly, should be regionalised possibly even up to and including the Semi Finals.
I disagree. In normal times a national competition should be nationwide as early as practically possible.

And there are far more southern than northern clubs entering the competition so to have regions of equal numbers would mean having perhaps several southern regions and one northern region. You'd almost end up like the Champions League where each region's strongest teams get to the later rounds every year rather than the randomness of a nationwide draw.

The chance to play new and unfamiliar opponents makes the competition more appealing than if you were playing opponents you already face in league and county cups.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:48 am
merse wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 am This forum is the first such place I have seen such disrespectful and untruthful views posted about Torquay United throughout this whole pandemic. There is simply no need for it and suggests to me a small group of people with a chip on their shoulder about their opponents being a full-time professional club.

It may be an unpopular opinion but I personally think we should withdraw. It’s easy for a club on the edges of relegation to say we should cancel the season, and playing this game only weakens our argument.
I agree.
However if we withdraw from the Trophy but then find ourselves forced to continue in the league we'll be at a bigger financial disadvantage having lost any income from this game.
At the end of the day it's a decision that shouldn't be down to individual clubs.
Non League football should not be continuing.This isn't elite sport by any stretch of the imagination and that badge has no worth.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Ste_B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:48 am

Agree with the withdrawal statement Ste B....

Like I said somewhere, I think SFC feel obliged and probably pressurised to play this game (FA linked) plus there is no overall decision yet from National North/South teams on what happens next.That may be made clearer this next few days.
Also, there will be more teams than you think not happy with this situation in the National League too.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

merse wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 am I see comments on this thread that are at best inaccurate and mis-informed and at worst libellous...

"those cheap skates Torquay who are not bothered about testing but happy for a less well off club to pay for it instead"
~ has that actually been stated anywhere? I've listened to the Southport director saying that SFC have offered to pay for testing at their end; he hasn't said that Torquay United were 'happy for a less well off club to pay for it' and Torquay United (who never make any public statements about anything) have not said that either. All their dealings with other clubs, leagues and associations are carried out in confidence and with due respect for professionalism.

"Perhaps we should pay for their overnight hotel stay in Southport too?"
~ the person who posted that is obviously unaware that when distance and time meets the FA criteria; the travelling and overnight expenses of the away club are deductible from the gate money AFTER the match fees and similar expenses of the match officials have been similarly deducted. Of course with no gate money; that will have to be taken from the livestreaming money of which a considerable proportion will most likely come from Torquay United fans anyway.

"It's farcical that they are being ALLOWED to travel and stay overnight. Absolutely crazy"
~ how are the visitors supposed to fulfill this fixture then? Is that poster expecting them to default and become excluded from the competition and lose out on the prize money available? I shouldn't think Torquay United are particularly enamoured at having to fulfil this fixture anyway; should they then expect Southport to withdraw from the competition and suffer the same consequences?

"It’s absolutely outrageous that Torquay are refusing to test their players and staff"
~ where HAS that been stated with any authenticity?

As has already been pointed out in an earlier post on this thread; there's absolutely nothing in that interview to support the view that Torquay United are 'happy to let a smaller club pay for their testing' so I suggest those people posting their inaccurate and scandalous comments wind their necks in and respect the FACT that Torquay United are a professional club, with a professional ethos and have gone to a great deal of tme, expense and trouble to ensure the health and safety of all their players, management and staff and that of any other club they have played this season during what has been a very trying and testing time.

This forum is the first such place I have seen such disrespectful and untruthful views posted about Torquay United throughout this whole pandemic. There is simply no need for it and suggests to me a small group of people with a chip on their shoulder about their opponents being a full-time professional club.
READ THE STANDING ORDERS.

READ THEM AND UNDERSTAND THEM.
merse

Post by merse »

Never mind Standing Orders...
Your club's statement on their OS this morning underlines the nonsense and rubbish that was posted on this forum about Torquay United and their ethics.

I have nothing more to say on the subject. Enjoy the livestream tomorrow; I will ~ having not either been in your town or on your ground since we were both last in the Football League together. Not the Club's main priority this season, but nevertheless Gary Johnson is a manager who loves and has lifted the FA Trophy with Yeovil; so he will select a team with the main job in hand for this season in mind but in no way will want to get beaten.

For YOUR club it is your only opportunity of achieving anything this season looking at your league position and lack of action since Christmas. As I said, enjoy the experience!

Best wishes
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE MERSE - NO AUTHORITY AT ALL.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Like I said earlier in this thread-you could have a real "pop" at these so called "big" clubs lauding it, and I don't for one second class Torquay as even one of those...
As for Torquay going up this season-iv'e got more chance of having a Covid jab this afternoon...
Cheers.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

Merse,

You are top of NL and unless the NL stops ( which I doubt) then after this season you'll probably be in L2 and not have to concern yourself with the opinions of a few NLN fans about a tournament you'll be hoping to never participate in again.

Until then, just accept that there are far worse things currently happening in the world than a message board thread which offends your sensibilities.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

He’s right though. People shouldn’t make unsubstantiated statements which are potentially libellous. Surprised that mods haven’t intervened.
If there was hard evidence that Torquay had behaved in the way alleged, certainly go for them.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

merse wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:09 am Never mind Standing Orders...
Your club's statement on their OS this morning underlines the nonsense and rubbish that was posted on this forum about Torquay United and their ethics.

I have nothing more to say on the subject. Enjoy the livestream tomorrow; I will ~ having not either been in your town or on your ground since we were both last in the Football League together. Not the Club's main priority this season, but nevertheless Gary Johnson is a manager who loves and has lifted the FA Trophy with Yeovil; so he will select a team with the main job in hand for this season in mind but in no way will want to get beaten.

For YOUR club it is your only opportunity of achieving anything this season looking at your league position and lack of action since Christmas. As I said, enjoy the experience!

Best wishes
What experience?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:56 am He’s right though. People shouldn’t make unsubstantiated statements which are potentially libellous. Surprised that mods haven’t intervened.
If there was hard evidence that Torquay had behaved in the way alleged, certainly go for them.
I must admit that I thought the same, but didn’t question the post as I assumed the author must have some inside information.

But after all, it’s a football forum, not a refereed journal, and you expect to read a lot of bollocks.