Carry on football!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
YTT
----------
----------
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by YTT »

Participation tomorrow seriously undermines a fundamental part of our rational for ending the season. I get it's a difficult position the club finds themselves in but we had taken the morale high ground in terms of right from wrong. It's simply wrong to play.

We therefore should have refused to play as some clubs have in our league and regrettably it adds credence to Fylde's thinly vailed dig at us.

Granted testing has been undertaken by both sides (Torquay have done their own) but for me the clubs stance should have been all or nothing.

I can't find Lateral Flow Test Kits at anywhere near £5.25 Fylde quoted. About £15 is best i can find online and you have to purchase in bulk. We may or may not have a use for test kits moving forward it's one of the many current unknowns. It's all additional cost.

The streaming is a separate issue and is a U Turn on the clubs part and needs probably must but could have been handled differently. James has been quiet is he still in situ?

Really worrying times and all i would say to those fans contemplating cancelling their DD on their memberships is the club needs you more than ever right now and i think you can trust the Club to do the right thing by the supporters in the longer term and we all want a club in the longer term!
Paulisi
----------
----------
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Paulisi »

As PR9 is a SA variant hotspot, there are plenty of free walk in centres for non symptomatic cases. I assume we have used these.
So should not be a financial cost to the club.
YTT
----------
----------
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by YTT »

Don’t you have to register your personal details for testing? I’m guessing most of our staff and players don’t live in PR9 postcode area?

I suspect the club have footed the costs of the tests x2 from what I’ve read but happy to stand corrected.
yellowfever
----------
----------
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by yellowfever »

I still can't come to terms with the FA allowing the match to take place..especially with the well publicised news of PR9 issues and Covid? It really is a case of football winning out over all the health/safety and well being issues.Totally wrong.

Emotions are running high more than ever amongst fans on this subject when they see their football club threatend and I think most of the reaction on here is very understandable.

It could easily be argued that the AFC Fylde statement is inflammatory and loading a potential gun? Who are they to offer advise to the National League?

Our football club has had a difficult week and I just hope the day goes off well for Managers, players, officials and volunteers regardless of any result either way.
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Ste_B »

YTT wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 pm Participation tomorrow seriously undermines a fundamental part of our rational for ending the season. I get it's a difficult position the club finds themselves in but we had taken the morale high ground in terms of right from wrong. It's simply wrong to play.

We therefore should have refused to play as some clubs have in our league and regrettably it adds credence to Fylde's thinly vailed dig at us.

Granted testing has been undertaken by both sides (Torquay have done their own) but for me the clubs stance should have been all or nothing.
Thanks YTT. Saved me ten minutes of writing exactly this.
Paulisi
----------
----------
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Paulisi »

YTT wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:02 pm Don’t you have to register your personal details for testing? I’m guessing most of our staff and players don’t live in PR9 postcode area?

I suspect the club have footed the costs of the tests x2 from what I’ve read but happy to stand corrected.
Yes you do, but as they work in the PR9 area, it would not be an issue.
When the Liverpool testing first started you could live outside the area and still get tested.
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Ste_B »

The football clubs postcode is PR8 6JZ. Would that matter?
becbee
----------
----------
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by becbee »

My daughter works in EN10 but doesn't live there. She's tried but is unable to get a test in EN10 because they are only available to those with proof of an EN10 address. So the same will presumably apply to Southport players, only if they actually live in PR9 will they be able to get a test.
In any case Haig Ave is in PR8 so the players don't even work in PR9.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ste_B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:00 pm
YTT wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 pm Participation tomorrow seriously undermines a fundamental part of our rational for ending the season. I get it's a difficult position the club finds themselves in but we had taken the morale high ground in terms of right from wrong. It's simply wrong to play.

We therefore should have refused to play as some clubs have in our league and regrettably it adds credence to Fylde's thinly vailed dig at us.

Granted testing has been undertaken by both sides (Torquay have done their own) but for me the clubs stance should have been all or nothing.
Thanks YTT. Saved me ten minutes of writing exactly this.
I disagree, for all we know we may be told we have to finish the league season, so why should we not play. If anything it highlights the madness of a team travelling from a relatively safe area to a relatively high risk area for a game of football.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

becbee wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:44 pm My daughter works in EN10 but doesn't live there. She's tried but is unable to get a test in EN10 because they are only available to those with proof of an EN10 address. So the same will presumably apply to Southport players, only if they actually live in PR9 will they be able to get a test.
In any case Haig Ave is in PR8 so the players don't even work in PR9.
The current testing for the SA strain is for Norwood ward residents only. It's not the whole of PR9 who are being required to test.
YTT
----------
----------
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by YTT »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:07 pm
Ste_B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:00 pm
YTT wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 pm Participation tomorrow seriously undermines a fundamental part of our rational for ending the season. I get it's a difficult position the club finds themselves in but we had taken the morale high ground in terms of right from wrong. It's simply wrong to play.

We therefore should have refused to play as some clubs have in our league and regrettably it adds credence to Fylde's thinly vailed dig at us.

Granted testing has been undertaken by both sides (Torquay have done their own) but for me the clubs stance should have been all or nothing.
Thanks YTT. Saved me ten minutes of writing exactly this.
I disagree, for all we know we may be told we have to finish the league season, so why should we not play. If anything it highlights the madness of a team travelling from a relatively safe area to a relatively high risk area for a game of football.
Are seriously asking why we should not be playing this game?

Put it another way then it’s a league fixture against whoever in NLN do you think we would or should play that fixture tomorrow?
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:13 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by John Glendenning »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ce-testing

Lateral flow testing does NOT provide a definitive answer. This is because in general a relatively high viral load is required to enable detection. There are invariably a proportion of false negatives as well as false positives in any batch of tests. Scientific advice (for nursing homes) states that they should be used in conjunction with PPE and should not be relied upon in isolation to ensure safety.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:13 pm

Re: Carry on football!

Post by John Glendenning »

Regarding the South African variant - the list given included Blowick (mostly PR8). I believe that the case detected was on Norwood Avenue.
Locked