Main subforum for all things Southport FC
superbike999

Re: Carry on football!

Post by superbike999 »

YTT wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:10 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm
PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:23 pm
>snip<
The Chester statement seems to be saying clubs haven't received the first wave of funding yet.
Ralphy, The first raft of funding covered up to the 31st of Dec. The concern now is that whilst £11m has been allocated by Sport England over 50 days ago the what happens next news in terms of distribution and make up has been promised and expected for sometime but hasn't arrived and talk of loans not grants etc.
There was something mentioned on the radio yesterday which gave the impression that the National League have kept the money in their pockets and there is uproar about it from the Clubs, not surisingly
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

superbike999 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:15 pm
YTT wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:10 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm
The Chester statement seems to be saying clubs haven't received the first wave of funding yet.
Ralphy, The first raft of funding covered up to the 31st of Dec. The concern now is that whilst £11m has been allocated by Sport England over 50 days ago the what happens next news in terms of distribution and make up has been promised and expected for sometime but hasn't arrived and talk of loans not grants etc.
There was something mentioned on the radio yesterday which gave the impression that the National League have kept the money in their pockets and there is uproar about it from the Clubs, not surisingly
Just to clarify here, nobody is suggesting the National League have kept the National Lottery funding cash “in their pockets” as stated above. The issues raised by the clubs are around the distribution of the funds to each club and how the figures the league arrived for the individual clubs at were reached. An independent panel has looked into this with their report due to be circulated to clubs this week I believe.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

I may well be totally wrong, but didn't someone on here say that our former Chairman was on this National League independent panel?

If so we should be quids in knowing how much he loved this football club....
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Yes the independent review panel was Chaired by David Bernstein and did include Charlie Clapham.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

If true, it's utterly disgraceful that clubs still havn't received any cash and the accusation that the National league have been sitting on this issue shouldn't be ignored? It's weeks since this Govt bailout was announced? This at a time when unless you're lucky enough to be a Chorley of this World-then clubs at this level will be desperate for cash.Poor.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

They are probably waiting for the panel's report before distributing the cash. Which seems valid, though they might have made interim payments and kept people better informed.
YTT

Post by YTT »

That being the report they’ve had for weeks but are refusing to disclose to their members??
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Back on topic... can anyone else see a slight resemblance between Arsene Wenger and Kenneth Williams? Carry On Up The Arsenal would be a surefire hit, and a bit of healthy competition for that Spurs documentary - Bernard Bresslaw as Tony Adams, Jim Dale as Patrick Vieira, and possibly Barbara Windsor as Ray Parlour.

"Emirates" is an anagram of "Arse Time". There must be some mileage in that.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 am
Formula Port wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:09 pmCorruption
This is all getting a bit heavy. I preferred the nonsense myself.

Back on topic... can anyone else see a slight resemblance between Arsene Wenger and Kenneth Williams? Carry On Up The Arsenal would be a surefire hit, and a bit of healthy competition for that Spurs documentary - Bernard Bresslaw as Tony Adams, Jim Dale as Patrick Vieira, and possibly Barbara Windsor as Ray Parlour.

Lee Mac is looking for a new script writer, worth a look Ronnie..... :lol:
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Excellent post! It literally brought tears to my eyes.
cobby7

Post by cobby7 »

:D :lol: Had to laugh at that.
YTT

Post by YTT »

From Ollie Bayliss Twitter feed:

I understand the National League Independent Review Panel recommended adjusting the December payments in order to adopt their preferred model.

It would’ve resulted in:

🔸Increased funding for 24 clubs

🔸Reduced funding for 30 clubs

🔸10 clubs would’ve fallen from £84k to £12k

The League received that recommendation on the 14th December - shortly before the final payments were expected from clubs.

It felt that making changes to the allocations at that late stage would not be fair, practical or legally possible.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:59 pm
SteH90 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:10 pm

I would watch Carry On Football. Roy Hodgson has a naturally put-upon kind of demeanour, I could definitely see him in a hospital trolley rolling down some stairs. You could also have Allardyce in as some kind of Sid James figure, possibly running a suggestive hot dog concession.

Plenty of scope for poor-quality innuendo as well:

Scoring
Coming from behind
Two up front
Long balls
Arsenal

I am happy to work up a first draft over lockdown, even though merely writing the above list has cost me yet another monocle.
First objection - Allardyce wouldn’t have a hot dog concession as it’s ‘foreign muck’ (American by way of Germany) - he would however man a stall called Meat & Two Veg which passes the criteria of it being something he actually would do, it sells British food and is an unbelievably childish and puerile smutty innuendo.
Excellent. I reckon the man himself would do it provided we allowed a bit of product placement for his new isotonic sports gravy.
Definitely. I could see him mirroring John Barnes Lucozade ad from the 80’s
“After 90 minutes of sheer hell (like losing 5-0 at home to Leeds) you’re gonna get thirsty”
Selects gravy granules from vending machine. Adds water from kettle. Stirs.
“This is Big Sam’s Isotonic Gravy. It gets to your thirst. Fast. Isotonic means it’s in balance with your body fluid. Gravy means it’s meat juices”
Sam drinks gravy. Kicks granule bottle into a bin.
cavjj

Post by cavjj »

Mods note: Deleted a post and reference to corruption. No evidence was offered and if the statement was libellous, the publisher (Port Chat) would be liable.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

SteH90 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:27 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:59 pm
SteH90 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 pm

First objection - Allardyce wouldn’t have a hot dog concession as it’s ‘foreign muck’ (American by way of Germany) - he would however man a stall called Meat & Two Veg which passes the criteria of it being something he actually would do, it sells British food and is an unbelievably childish and puerile smutty innuendo.
Excellent. I reckon the man himself would do it provided we allowed a bit of product placement for his new isotonic sports gravy.
Definitely. I could see him mirroring John Barnes Lucozade ad from the 80’s
“After 90 minutes of sheer hell (like losing 5-0 at home to Leeds) you’re gonna get thirsty”
Selects gravy granules from vending machine. Adds water from kettle. Stirs.
“This is Big Sam’s Isotonic Gravy. It gets to your thirst. Fast. Isotonic means it’s in balance with your body fluid. Gravy means it’s meat juices”
Sam drinks gravy. Kicks granule bottle into a bin.
I'm imagining something like the Henry Cooper/Kevin Keegan Brut adverts, with a lot of betowelled manly back-slapping and an indefinable tension in the air. Craig Shakespeare, Sammy Lee or any of the other members of the Carvery Cabinet would suffice.

"A pint of Sam's on a Saturday morning means you can give your all for 90 minutes, rust-proof your Cortina, and still have enough in the tank to tear the face off a dozen pigs.

Drink Sam's Isotonic Sports Gravy, and GET STUCK IN."
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

FWIW
From The Kent Messenger:

National League board slammed by independent panel over distribution of National Lottery funding

An independent committee set up to review the National League’s distribution of lottery funding have reached a damning verdict.
The league finally agreed to the review after pressure from clubs, including Maidstone United, who were unhappy with the allocation of a £10 million bail-out.
Funding was set to be based on lost gate revenue but the board adopted a different model.
With the review complete, aggrieved clubs were dealt a further blow with the board resisting requests to publish the findings.
The chairman of the committee, former FA chief David Bernstein, has subsequently written an open letter criticising the actions of the board.
Bernstein says they are profoundly disappointed” the report hasn’t been made public.
He also raised “concern” that the "NL are making the December payments on the same basis as the previous two months thereby increasing the imbalance as The latest page-turning digital edition, just as published
The former Manchester City chairman also accused the board of “trying to undermine the credibility of the independent panel”. In a letter to league chairman Brian Barwick, Bernstein wrote: "I would summarise the Independent Panel’s majority view as follows:

"1) We are profoundly disappointed that you have not shared our report with your clubs not least because we believe that this should be done in line with open and proper good governance and that the NL was committed to ensuring that the funding was distributed in a transparent manner. We also believe disclosure is in the public interest given that the funding was provided by Camelot.
"2) We are concerned that the NL are making the December payments on the same basis as the previous two months thereby increasing the imbalance as described in our report. This is particularly concerning if, as we suspect, the arrangements for 2021 may be on a different basis. We encourage interested parties to keep a close eye on this.
"3) We note the lack of response regarding governance issues and the apparent lack of concern around conflicts of interest and compliance with your own Articles of Association.
"4) We note the lack of courtesy in acknowledging our efforts and in responding to correspondence and what we can only interpret as attempts to undermine the credibility of the Independent Panel.
"The funding for the period from January to March 2021 will come from a different source and the terms are still to be resolved.
"The panel is therefore unable to consider this period.
"Therefore, if as you claim, our mandate was limited only to examining this 3 month period then setting up this panel was pointless.
"In these unfortunate circumstances, we do not propose to enter into any further dialogue with the National League and will leave it to the various complaining parties to pursue matters as they feel appropriate."
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Aren't we bang in the middle of the attendances etc so we'd get roughly the same either way? I can see why the likes of Chester and Hereford are annoyed, but then Chester always are about something.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

National Leauge South side Slough Town have written to the national league asking to "pause" the season until the current wave of coronavirus cases are under control:

In essence, we are asking The National League Board to consider whether it is morally right to expect clubs to keep playing given the position the country finds itself in.

We appreciate the commercial issues and the impact of disruption on the higher leagues. We will fulfil our fixtures but we will do so under duress. We are simply asking The National League to consider the bigger picture with regard to the risk to life and acknowledge that right now, the health and safety of the players and their families is more important than football.

To be clear, we are not asking for the season to end, but simply to be suspended temporarily so that all parties have time to reflect, plan but more importantly to put people first. We understand that cynics may argue that we are suggesting this because our position in the league is not where we would want it to be and that we are ‘playing for time’, but to those people we say this: Slough Town Football Club puts the safety of its players and staff above all things. This is not a revolutionary proposal - it would merely bring The National League in line with the rest of the country.

Full statement: https://sloughtownfc.net/article/2362/Club-statement
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

It looks as if the National League has stuck two fingers up to the Independant review panel's opinion then? That looks a useful exercise-not......
If so, has the money been received?
If not-why not?
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Apologies- we have had monies..