Darlington off

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PortDan1121

Re: Darlington off

Post by PortDan1121 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:14 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:50 pm My primary concern is the league stumbles on for a few more weeks before being settled by PPG or after one round of fixtures. In that eventuality, we only need lose our next two or three games and we could be finished. The next league game, whenever that is, is massive. With the threat of early curtailment, this season is like musical chairs, and we do not want to be caught in the bottom two on PPG when the music stops, which we are perilously close to being at the moment.
I can't see any justification in settling a league by PPG where so few games have taken place.
It was fair enough last season where clubs had played between 35-39 games out of 46 and those games had all been played in normal circumstances.
To decide a league where less than half the games have been played and where some clubs have had the benefit of fans in for some games would be ludicrous.
Null and void should be the only option. And I'd say the same if we were top of the league.
I know that PPG isnt really fair at this moment as teams such as Darlington have only completed 10 games. I have had though created a table with what it may look like if decided on PPG. This is for if the league was stopped right now (highly unlikely) As you can see, a lot of movement, Southport only drop 1 place if it was based on PPG. Follow the link below to the google sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Tangled Up In Yellow

Post by Tangled Up In Yellow »

PortDan1121 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:18 am
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:14 pm
Port on the Kent wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:50 pm My primary concern is the league stumbles on for a few more weeks before being settled by PPG or after one round of fixtures. In that eventuality, we only need lose our next two or three games and we could be finished. The next league game, whenever that is, is massive. With the threat of early curtailment, this season is like musical chairs, and we do not want to be caught in the bottom two on PPG when the music stops, which we are perilously close to being at the moment.
I can't see any justification in settling a league by PPG where so few games have taken place.
It was fair enough last season where clubs had played between 35-39 games out of 46 and those games had all been played in normal circumstances.
To decide a league where less than half the games have been played and where some clubs have had the benefit of fans in for some games would be ludicrous.
Null and void should be the only option. And I'd say the same if we were top of the league.
I know that PPG isnt really fair at this moment as teams such as Darlington have only completed 10 games. I have had though created a table with what it may look like if decided on PPG. This is for if the league was stopped right now (highly unlikely) As you can see, a lot of movement, Southport only drop 1 place if it was based on PPG. Follow the link below to the google sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
It doesn't affect us, but Fylde have the wrong number of points.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

Tangled Up In Yellow wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:51 am
It doesn't affect us, but Fylde have the wrong number of points.
Good Spot. Amended now.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Steps 3 & 4 - meeting and expecting to null and void the season, so no promotion/relegation.
PPG is irrelevant to us.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

Paulisi wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:22 pm Steps 3 & 4 - meeting and expecting to null and void the season, so no promotion/relegation.
PPG is irrelevant to us.
Imagine if Blyth, who have been by far the worst side in the league for 2 seasons now, manages to avoid relegation, again. Wonder if they are still getting the North Korea sponsor money :lol:
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Formula Port wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:28 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:51 pm I suppose that the two sufferers will be out for a while.
What makes you say that? Not everyone who has Covid is on a ventilator hanging on for life like the government would have you believe.
Even if they are asymptomatic it is 2 weeks of not training so probably another 2 weeks or so to get back to full fitness again.
Formula Port

Post by Formula Port »

Redrobe fan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 am
Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:51 pm I suppose that the two sufferers will be out for a while.
What makes you say that? Not everyone who has Covid is on a ventilator hanging on for life like the government would have you believe.
The full range of symptoms and outcomes of this disease are well known.
Weve been told that the two affected players are not symptomless.
If so, they will certainly not be in the peak health required of a professional athlete. Hopefully they will quickly recover, but even mild symptoms often linger. We will have to see how these individuals fare.

The Government has never said that all infecteds suffer severe illness.
They routinely tell us how many cases, how many hospitalised and how many fatalities. From those numbers its clear that not all cases are hospitalised and not all hospitalisation are fatal. They also have a good idea of how many symptomless cases there are in addition.
I’m just sick of the doom merchants and scare mongering to be honest. It’s always worst case scenario these days rather than looking at what’s right in front of you, and if you believe that each of those cases is a true Covid positive then you’ll believe anything!
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Of course, not all tests are accurate. There are false positives and false negatives. But remember that these two had symptoms as well as positive tests. To ignore the test results would be stupid.
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Formula Port wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:54 am

If so, they will certainly not be in the peak health required of a professional athlete. Hopefully they will quickly recover, but even mild symptoms often linger. We will have to see how these individuals fare.

They routinely tell us how many cases, how many hospitalised and how many fatalities. From those numbers its clear that not all cases are hospitalised and not all hospitalisation are fatal. They also have a good idea of how many symptomless cases there are in addition.
I’m just sick of the doom merchants and scare mongering to be honest. It’s always worst case scenario these days rather than looking at what’s right in front of you, and if you believe that each of those cases is a true Covid positive then you’ll believe anything!
I've seen what has been right in front of me in terms of COVID, which includes a friend who was fit and healthy die, a former colleague die, patients with disability following infection, and a colleague who was redeployed to a COVID palliative ward go off sick for nearly 6 months with PTSD (and he's still a shadow of his former self now. Holding people's hands whilst they gasp their last breath with no family or friends around them, every working day for 3 months got to him a bit).

This isn't me being a doom merchant or scaremongering, it's just some facts of my life from the past year. These things are actually happening whether you see them or not, and choosing to look for something else instead, something perhaps more positive, doesn't change that.
Formula Port

Post by Formula Port »

Swedes wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:26 pm
Formula Port wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:54 am

I've seen what has been right in front of me in terms of COVID, which includes a friend who was fit and healthy die, a former colleague die, patients with disability following infection, and a colleague who was redeployed to a COVID palliative ward go off sick for nearly 6 months with PTSD (and he's still a shadow of his former self now. Holding people's hands whilst they gasp their last breath with no family or friends around them, every working day for 3 months got to him a bit).

This isn't me being a doom merchant or scaremongering, it's just some facts of my life from the past year. These things are actually happening whether you see them or not, and choosing to look for something else instead, something perhaps more positive, doesn't change that.
I’m sorry you’ve had to go through that Swede’s I truly am. I don’t doubt that for some people it’s been utterly unthinkable.
superbike999

Post by superbike999 »

That's really sad Swedes. It brings it home as to how lucky we are