Halifax FA Trophy

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe fan

Halifax FA Trophy

Post by Redrobe fan »

According to SFC this game is on.

Is there any news of our Covid sufferers?
PortDan1121

Re: Halifax FA Trophy

Post by PortDan1121 »

Hope not. Looking forward to this one. Does anyone know if Halifax are offering a stream?
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

They have streamed their recent league games.

Hopefully our Covid sufferers will have recovered, there will be no more, and the game will be on.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

It was call off at Halifax last night - frozen pitch.

I assume we haven't trained for a while
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

I'll be very surprised if it's on. It's been chucking it down with snow for hours over here, and is forecast to freeze overnight. The thaw is forecast for Saturday, but it's also forecast heavy rain.
BinghamBoy

Post by BinghamBoy »

Pitch inspection due at 15.45 today. Also a link below to an article with an interview with Liam about the match which is what it is....

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/sport/ ... on-3100763
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

The reporter perhaps didn’t need to quote everything word for word, but it is what it is, we are where we are, and they are where they are.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

BinghamBoy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 am Pitch inspection due at 15.45 today. Also a link below to an article with an interview with Liam about the match which is what it is....

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/sport/ ... on-3100763
Early inspection almost certainly means game will be off.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I'm sure this game will be off.
What a profoundly depressing interview with Liam. Just admits we haven't a hope of getting promoted, that the emphasis is simply on blooding young (actually not so young - 22 year olds are not young footballers) players and selling them on. This is apparently realism after the Phil period - though we never had a chance of getting promoted then either!
If we are just a nursery for kids with no hope of ever getting promoted we might as well all go off and watch Everton's academy side.
Halifax don't have a significantly greater fan base than us, and they've been down in the depths, but they aim to get back in the League. What's wrong with us? Why do we just accept mediocrity?
GeorgeCarrExcavation

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 pm I'm sure this game will be off.
What a profoundly depressing interview with Liam. Just admits we haven't a hope of getting promoted, that the emphasis is simply on blooding young (actually not so young - 22 year olds are not young footballers) players and selling them on. This is apparently realism after the Phil period - though we never had a chance of getting promoted then either!
If we are just a nursery for kids with no hope of ever getting promoted we might as well all go off and watch Everton's academy side.
Halifax don't have a significantly greater fan base than us, and they've been down in the depths, but they aim to get back in the League. What's wrong with us? Why do we just accept mediocrity?
Calm down, look on the bright side: we have a lot of legs.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

In a nutshell, in my opinion, we need a new Manager per se, I’m tired of watching out dated tactics, an unfit team and a management team that don’t look bothered or motivated, hence the flippant lazy interviews and approach to our beloved Club. He needs to do the decent thing and walk away ASAP and take his assistant with him.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

Update: The game is off. It will now be played on Tuesday 19th with a 7pm Kick-Off. Cramming even more games in the current, busy schedule.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Tuesday’s re arranged game must be in doubt as well, maybe Halifax will agree to switch this one, if not we both get turfed out the tournament🤔 . They should be thrown out not us if they won’t switch the game when their pitch is unplayable.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

TrickyDicky wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:05 pm Tuesday’s re arranged game must be in doubt as well, maybe Halifax will agree to switch this one, if not we both get turfed out the tournament🤔 . They should be thrown out not us if they won’t switch the game when their pitch is unplayable.
Don't think the pitch would be any better at Haig Ave. It's been bitterly cold today and I think it's too short notice to simply "swap" a game and move the ground. I mean look at this from this morning https://twitter.com/southport_fc/status ... 24000?s=20
Stratford Excile

Post by Stratford Excile »

TrickyDicky wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:34 pm
In a nutshell, in my opinion, we need a new Manager per se, I’m tired of watching out dated tactics, an unfit team and a management team that don’t look bothered or motivated, hence the flippant lazy interviews and approach to our beloved Club. He needs to do the decent thing and walk away ASAP and take his assistant with him.
Agreed,Liam Watson is well beyond his sell by date and as you rightly say TD there is no sign of any motivation coming from his mouth or that of his sidekick and I am afraid that we are going to get served up the current poor standard of football for ever and a day.

All very sad but true and it is my opinion that even Billy Bingham at his advanced years could do a better job now!!
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

And yet when I criticise the management team of Watson and McCarthy I get absolutely slaughtered on here for it.
David999

Post by David999 »

Might be cynical but can’t help thinking from a Halifax view - they turn down a Sunday fixture ( ok may still be unplayable pitch ) as a full time team to play part timers on a Tuesday . So they get a part time team on a Tuesday when work has taken its toll ( and some players may not be available for an earlier kick off ) at 7 pm post travel in winter over the Pennines . Am I seeing too much here ?
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

David999 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:09 pm Might be cynical but can’t help thinking from a Halifax view - they turn down a Sunday fixture ( ok may still be unplayable pitch ) as a full time team to play part timers on a Tuesday . So they get a part time team on a Tuesday when work has taken its toll ( and some players may not be available for an earlier kick off ) at 7 pm post travel in winter over the Pennines . Am I seeing too much here ?
So SFC offered to play the game at Halifax on Sunday but were turned down? I didn't know that.It's always going to be an advantage for a full time team to get part timers travelling to them mid week and as you say an earlier kickoff time could be an issue for some players.It's all part and parcel of a crazy season.
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Should have switched venue yesterday, far more chance of it being on it at Haig Ave. None of it may matter anyway, might be s struggle just to finish the season.
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

Swedes wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:23 pm Should have switched venue yesterday, far more chance of it being on it at Haig Ave. None of it may matter anyway, might be s struggle just to finish the season.
Correct..