David Morgan

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ste_B
----------
----------

Re: David Morgan

Post by Ste_B »

Kempster911 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 pm Coleman grabs another for next to nothing,
friendship is a beautiful thing.
The fee I’ve been told is far from ‘next to nothing’ and certainly more than I’d have expected to get for him.
Swedes
----------
----------

Post by Swedes »

Paulisi wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 pm Surprised that he has gone full time, having agreed to play part time and go into teaching.
It must have been a tough decision, either going into a job he's trained for but working with a load of snotty-nosed COVID spreaders, or going in to teaching.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Another reminder of how far we’ve fallen behind. I see they are resuming work on building a new stand as they challenge for a Championship place. And we’re their nursery club.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

People know he can be a teacher after he’s been a pro footballer, right?!
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Port on the Kent wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:31 pm Best of luck to him, great servant.

League 1 is one hell of a jump and at 26 is he likely to develop leaps and bounds like Dion has? I have my doubts but I wish him all the very best.

After the season we've had, we need a complete fresh start from top to bottom when minds can finally refocus on football - this is probably good timing before a new broom and all that.
I agree time to sweep the deck New Manager and a Coach needed and fast. Next season will be on the way soon.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Paulisi wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 pm The wage bill is coming right down, but that means we will be struggling to compete with the big spenders in the league next season.
Didn't stop us in 09/10 or 11/12. It is about having the right players not necessarily the most expensive ones....
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

The writing is on the wall when we are unloading our best players, as seasons go another forgettable one but we are used to this now, Hodgkinson made the dream & broke it, but we have a fantastic pitch & a better Main Stand with Warm Water in the Gents!....watching the grass grow was more enjoyable than the Football. I feel for the many volunteers who must be peed off with things as they stand..
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:04 am The writing is on the wall when we are unloading our best players
Talk about an over reaction. We're hardly unloading players like we did with Gilchrist etc to teams around us, he's gone to a team 3 leagues above where a former teammate is thriving and is on the path to maybe one day in the Prem one day.

We'd already turned down a team in a league above, how many bigger and better teams do you think we could continue to turn down? Turn down while we have exactly 0 income in a season that should in all sense end? Theres probably only 2/3 teams in our league who could resist such an offer, and even then would you? The player would be a bit annoyed at their chance being denied.

Presumably people still think we should have ket Carl Baker or Mark Duffy et all and denied them their long career in the football league?

Doing this is exactly what makes us more attractive to players, it works for Accy too, but this is no different in any level of the sport. There are some teams that have a reputation of making players and players want to go there despite other faults that may exist. There are u11 teams in London with long waiting lists purely because some have gone on the be professional footballers. Tommy Lawson had that reputation too. People wanted to play for Tommy Lawson teams, be that Skem or Prescott because they knew there was a chance if they put a shift in they could make it as a footballer.

We've probably made a tidy profit off David, and taken out a fair sell on clause which one day could reap benefits if he moves on.

If anything, selling him has probably rubbing out writing that was being written on to walls by the shoddy leadership from the league.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Good bit of business in my book.

I’m sure Accy probably contribute towards Liam’s salary as well as he is by far their most prolific scout.

As long as we got fair market value then win win and sure some view us as Accy’s Nursery Club these days.

Great move for David Morgan, although not sure he’d have got that move in any other season as being honest he’s nowhere near that level for me but maybe he will benefit from being around better players.

Good luck to him.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Sadly where SFC are as a football club. Not surprised by this move by morgs. Our club has no ambition and sinking fast but used this for 30 plus years
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Many fans on here still not getting this...
It's now 5 weeks by my reckoning of no income into SFC-wages were due at the end of January according to Ian Kyle the other week?
The stress levels for Ian, Liam, Steve (who many have forgotten has had serious Covid) must be through the roof at present.
Football is in in crisis for many clubs at this level and below and yet some fans are still wanting change at the top of our football club.
Our own football club is in a dodgy place with what's being discussed by the National League.
You all need to give yourselves a serious talking too.
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Really don't know what some supporters expect?
We're short on cash, in a pandemic, the season might be cancelled - and a League One club come in with an extremely good fee that will help sustain the club.
Again, we prove ourselves to up and coming players that we can help them into the league. And again, we foster a relationship with Accrington (Ogle, Zehn) that will be good in future.
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Gutted but David deserves a chance. Good luck morgs and thanks.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Even as an FT player he could continue his studies. He might have to re-schedule it a little, but it can be done. He’s probably already discussed it with his tutors.

He could be loaned back to us for FAT games, if he isn’t going straight into the first team squad.
David_1276
----------
----------

Post by David_1276 »

I think how good of a piece of business this is hinges on the transfer fee. I'd expect, with him having been under contract for over 100 games, that it was more than we got for either of our other 2 recent EFL exports. The relationship with Accrington is a strong one, and people underestimate how helpful being best friends with a team that could well be playing Championship football next season is- how many more teams in this division can say that? Their own academy is improving year on year and the likes of Toby Savin, a former 'Port youngster will easily be of Championship quality one day- if we maintain this relationship there's no reason why some of them can't come to us for work experience. That being said, apart from Zehn and Reagan we haven't really had many favours back and I'd like to see, considering they'll now have 7 or 8 former 'Port players on the first team roster, a couple coming back our way as directly from Accy I think we've only got Niall Watson at the moment? However, if the fee's around £50k or more then they'll have paid a fair price. You do wonder, when Liam eventually goes, how close the bond will stay as the rumoured transfer fee for Dion is more than a bargain for them, and other managers probably wouldn't accept, or at least negotiate upwards on that amount.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Let's be honest we could have youngsters who look to progress or a bunch of tired old hacks collecting their final paychecks.

When we sell a Dion or Morgs we say to a youngster that we are your route to a career if you graft for us. So long as we get the balance right it is our best way at progression and sustainability.
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

In bemoaning our status as a nursery club to a team we used in the recent past to be several tiers above, I'm not denying that the sale of Morgs is a sensible move at this juncture.
I just worry about the club's future. We are almost totally dependent on Ian, who is the only one with money. Even in the bad old/good old Charlie days, there was always Sam in the background who I'm sure could have stepped in temporarily to keep the show on the road if Charlie had fallen off his perch.
If Ian became ill or was otherwise out of the picture we'd really be in a mess.
It's imperative to get some other people on the board with a few bob to rub together. Should we also have a drive to sell more shares to the wider fan base?
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 am We are almost totally dependent on Ian, who is the only one with money.
It would be huge benefit to have an additional board member or two, especially someone with wealth - but they need to be a like-minded person to what we have now, forward thinking with club sustainability at the heart of their plans. An additional person, wealthy or not will benefit, as in my opinion the current board is to small, they do however work well together but will intern lack ideas, contacts and money potentially going forward.

All in all, you would be crazy to invest in a football club right now!
BackoftheNet
----------
----------

Post by BackoftheNet »

Farewell David. You will I’ll be sadly missed and if it doesn’t work I’m sure you will welcomed back. I think it’s true to say that when Morgs played well the team played and likewise the opposite when his performance slipped a bit. It’s sad to lose our captain and driving force on the pitch but what a fantastic opportunity for the lad. Good luck and I will be looking out for your name alongside Dion.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Roday1878 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:21 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 am We are almost totally dependent on Ian, who is the only one with money.
It would be huge benefit to have an additional board member or two, especially someone with wealth - but they need to be a like-minded person to what we have now, forward thinking with club sustainability at the heart of their plans. An additional person, wealthy or not will benefit, as in my opinion the current board is to small, they do however work well together but will intern lack ideas, contacts and money potentially going forward.

All in all, you would be crazy to invest in a football club right now!
Its crazy whenever you invest in a football club.

SSE suggests a drive to sell more shares to the wider fan base, which certainly would help to bring in some capital and would tend to bond fans with the club. But, in the recent past, the club hasn't really welcomed small investors.

Obviously shareholders would be very unlikely to get a return and would never see their money again, but there could be benefits. There used to be a shareholders lounge, and priority for tickets, maybe other benefits could be offered too.