Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Re: David Morgan

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:38 pm
Roday1878 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:21 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 am We are almost totally dependent on Ian, who is the only one with money.
It would be huge benefit to have an additional board member or two, especially someone with wealth - but they need to be a like-minded person to what we have now, forward thinking with club sustainability at the heart of their plans. An additional person, wealthy or not will benefit, as in my opinion the current board is to small, they do however work well together but will intern lack ideas, contacts and money potentially going forward.

All in all, you would be crazy to invest in a football club right now!
Its crazy whenever you invest in a football club.

SSE suggests a drive to sell more shares to the wider fan base, which certainly would help to bring in some capital and would tend to bond fans with the club. But, in the recent past, the club hasn't really welcomed small investors.

Obviously shareholders would be very unlikely to get a return and would never see their money again, but there could be benefits. There used to be a shareholders lounge, and priority for tickets, maybe other benefits could be offered too.
Selling shares to fans is small beer and a one off.
What the club needs, in normal circumstances, is increasd regular revenue and I was under the impression that commercially and also through the function room that the club was doing well in that regard pre covid, and Ian Kyle's role is not one of a sugar daddy putting his own money in regularly.
Other than the need to ride out the covid storm I don't get why some people think we're a financial basket case.
Obviously our crowds alone will never mean we can compete with the big spenders but that's been the norm for out entire existence.
Off the field the club is the model of a competently and responsibly run club.

As for people thinking we could or should stop a player moving up 3 divisions with another club, words fail me.
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

Ste_B wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:30 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 pm Coleman grabs another for next to nothing,
friendship is a beautiful thing.
The fee I’ve been told is far from ‘next to nothing’ and certainly more than I’d have expected to get for him.
Probably hearsay, usually is, clubs know SFC are desperate.
Rabbit
----------
----------

Post by Rabbit »

no
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:04 am The writing is on the wall when we are unloading our best players, as seasons go another forgettable one but we are used to this now, Hodgkinson made the dream & broke it, but we have a fantastic pitch & a better Main Stand with Warm Water in the Gents!....watching the grass grow was more enjoyable than the Football. I feel for the many volunteers who must be peed off with things as they stand..
Speaking as one of the volunteers I’d comment that there aren’t ‘ many’ of us 😂
Always vacancies!!
Out of interest, some may not be aware that there are 4 or 5 individuals working at the club entirely voluntarily doing what would be well paid full time jobs at clubs only a division or two higher. As well as the ops manager and small Board, they are the key individuals in the clubs survival in my view.
There’s a small handful of the rest of us devoting a few hours a week and I don’t think anyone is any more ‘ peed off’ than all the fans but are trying to keep a rather ageing ground as neat and tidy and well maintained as possible for when the ‘ crowds flood back in’ which we all look forward to👍👍⚽️⚽️
siddle
----------
----------

Post by siddle »

Roday1878 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:21 pm
Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 am We are almost totally dependent on Ian, who is the only one with money.
All in all, you would be crazy to invest in a football club right now!
V grateful for steady-tiller approach of Ian Kyle given the mess that was left by previous regime(s).
We're not flush with cash but thank God we're not spending above our means.
Swad Deutsche Port
----------
----------

Post by Swad Deutsche Port »

Good luck to Morgs, he’s been a stalwart for the club over the past couple of seasons.

Accepting that at this time of complete uncertainty that the fee is very welcome, there is still a bad taste left behind that we are offloading our best players to clubs that have leaped ahead of us in recent decades. Accept that we don’t know where the next pound of income is coming from but what does the loss of players of his stature say about our future ambitions once a season (whenever) resumes?

Stay safe all in PR9
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Listening to Ian’s interview. Who is the club in the NL who would have been a “sideways move”?! My guess is Altrincham!
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

yellowfever wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:21 am Many fans on here still not getting this...
It's now 5 weeks by my reckoning of no income into SFC-wages were due at the end of January according to Ian Kyle the other week?
The stress levels for Ian, Liam, Steve (who many have forgotten has had serious Covid) must be through the roof at present.
Football is in in crisis for many clubs at this level and below and yet some fans are still wanting change at the top of our football club.
Our own football club is in a dodgy place with what's being discussed by the National League.
You all need to give yourselves a serious talking too.
Spot on YF. Don`t always agree with everything you say but I`m with you all the way here.
Paulisi
----------
----------

Post by Paulisi »

Don't forget we got 30k in grants in Dec, plus we had gate receipts and streaming from 3 home matches. We are much better off cash wise than most. Also our model brings in monthly payments from members.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

Paulisi wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:13 pm Don't forget we got 30k in grants in Dec, plus we had gate receipts and streaming from 3 home matches. We are much better off cash wise than most. Also our model brings in monthly payments from members.
But, doesn't it cost £1m a year to run the Club?
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:06 pm

But, doesn't it cost £1m a year to run the Club?
Does it? Where have you got that figure from?
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

Good luck to Morgs, he's done well for Port, the fee received will hopefully go towards insuring that we still have a club come August.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Rabbit wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm no
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:04 am The writing is on the wall when we are unloading our best players, as seasons go another forgettable one but we are used to this now, Hodgkinson made the dream & broke it, but we have a fantastic pitch & a better Main Stand with Warm Water in the Gents!....watching the grass grow was more enjoyable than the Football. I feel for the many volunteers who must be peed off with things as they stand..
[/quote
Speaking as one of the volunteers I’d comment that there aren’t ‘ many’ of us 😂
Always vacancies!!
Out of interest, some may not be aware that there are 4 or 5 individuals working at the club entirely voluntarily doing what would be well paid full time jobs at clubs only a division or two higher. As well as the ops manager and small Board, they are the key individuals in the clubs survival in my view.
There’s a small handful of the rest of us devoting a few hours a week and I don’t think anyone is any more ‘ peed off’ than all the fans but are trying to keep a rather ageing ground as neat and tidy and well maintained as possible for when the ‘ crowds flood back in’ which we all look forward to👍👍⚽️⚽️
My personal thanks to all the volunteers - you really are appreciated though we very rarely get the opportunity to say it.
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

Exiled wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:03 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:58 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 pm

Coleman grabs another for next to nothing,
friendship is a beautiful thing.
I know you dislike Liam, but one thing is certain he has always done right by the club finances and the players when their chances come.
And friendship is also a two-way thing. We have benefitted from numerous loanees from Accrington over the last few years, who have often been our best players!
Numerous?.Loanees, Colemans win win - cast-offs meaningless in comparison to favours given.
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

Good luck to you David you deserve it.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Kempster911 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:03 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:58 pm

I know you dislike Liam, but one thing is certain he has always done right by the club finances and the players when their chances come.
And friendship is also a two-way thing. We have benefitted from numerous loanees from Accrington over the last few years, who have often been our best players!
Numerous?.Loanees, Colemans win win - cast-offs meaningless in comparison to favours given.
What would you be satisfied with? They’re hardly going to give us their best players.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:05 pm

What would you be satisfied with? They’re hardly going to give us their best players.
Not with that attitude. If they do flog Dion for a million quid we should demand 100% instead of the paltry 20% they will probably try and FOB US OFF with.
Kempster911
----------
----------

Post by Kempster911 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:15 am
Not with that attitude. If they do flog Dion for a million quid we should demand 100% instead of the paltry 20% they will probably try and FOB US OFF with.
The latest lot are benchers. Coleman could have offered someone
half relevent from his "large squad" but has it easy and is too savvy
for that.
Exiled
----------
----------

Post by Exiled »

Kempster911 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:56 pm

for that.
Benchers who play for a League 1 club, so I think it's safe to assume they're not entirely useless.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

You don’t think that the contract might be relevant here?
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Exiled wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:56 pm

for that.
Benchers who play for a League 1 club, so I think it's safe to assume they're not entirely useless.
They could be Lewondowski, Ronaldo and Messi and Kempster would find fault.