Southport v Torquay FA Trophy

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
kiaken
----------
----------

Re: Southport v Torquay FA Trophy

Post by kiaken »

Agree membership and season ticket holders will be disappointed as I know we pay to keep club going but at present nothing to show for payments. Hope this doesn't rock the boat and some decide to cancel DD. Long turn could not be good. Anyway good luck to team tomorrow.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

I have continued to pay for my membership each month since it became available. I am not happy at having to pay £9.99 for the Trophy game. I will await the result of the ballot and if it is to end the season, I will certainly be cancelling my direct debit. It's all one way traffic in favour of the Club. I know the club have to survive but enough is enough. Good luck to the team for tomorrow.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

I think that will go for a lot of people, very difficult for the club to survive granted, form in the Trophy has been good, without our Talisman Captain Morgan we can only hope for the best.....
Tangled Up In Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Tangled Up In Yellow »

The email the club originally sent me stated that my season ticket entitled me to access the live stream for all home NLN, FA Trophy and FA Cup games. I cannot understand why they are now backtracking on this. Surely they knew they would have to share gate receipts at the start of the season?
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

If that’s what the email said, then that’s the contractual position. Suggest you telephone the club.
Tangled Up In Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Tangled Up In Yellow »

I have emailed the club but unless they do a u-turn I won't be watching the match out of principle.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:30 pm If that’s what the email said, then that’s the contractual position. Suggest you telephone the club.
Also stated on the club's site on October 9th at the start of the season.
https://southportfc.net/update-informat ... t-holders/

I can understand the club wanting to get as much income as possible but surely this stream will have a sizeable number of Torquay fans paying to watch it so should generate a reasonable amount of income. The club really shouldn't be going back on its word. They knew at the start of the season that cup tie revenue had to be shared. Why is this game different to the Morpeth or South Shields games in the FA Cup?

It would be self defeating to ask people to pay for something they've previously been told was free if it's going to lead to a spate of membership cancellations.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

They were a bit naughty on the terms of the player sponsorships too. I hope that they do a U turn on this as they risk losing goodwill.
I think that the commercial manager is on sick leave, so that may be a contributory factor
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

I am sure Members who pay the £15 pm would stump up another £9.99 for this game but surely out of courtesy, the Club could ask first.
SfcFPA
----------
----------

Post by SfcFPA »

James has asked me to post the below message
James Tedford wrote:It’s important that we add some context to the situation.

When the club made the commitment to allow free access to FA cup and FA trophy matches (access that would normally be charged over and above a season ticket in pre covid times) this was a decision taken when the club was in receipt of £30k pcm for the duration of the season.

That funding stopped suddenly and the club has had to make a full months salary commitment from our reserves that we have all worked so hard to build up, Board, staff, volunteers and fans.

In all home cup matches to date we have agreed with our opponents that revenue that would be generated by the season ticket holders / members would not be included in the gate receipt returns.

We are still engaging with Torquay to reach the same agreement.

I am personally disappointed to have received legal threat emails from “supporters” when a simple phone call would have sufficed. The club, under Ian Kyle’s guardianship, has been more open than its ever been in its recent past.

Should the club have to pay the cost of the free subscriptions then the total cost, to the club, to put this match on will be circa £3k (this estimation includes the minimum fee for competing)

I am still working hard to reach an agreement with Torquay and any update will be communicated by the clubs official channels.

James
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

Hear, hear James. We have hardly had no football by Port for a while. I don’t think stumping up £10 for tomorrow’s game is so terrible or detrimental if it helps the club in these difficult times.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

I see both sides of the argument and I don’t think any season ticket holder or member doesn’t want to support the club as best they can.

The issue to me is that many fans do feel they’ve committed a lot of money for little in return. We shouldn’t forget we lost much of last season too...very few complained/asked for anything back but it wasn’t really acknowledged or asked either.

That lack of return for money spent is not the clubs fault and they’ve done what they can when they can. I don’t think any/many fans begrudge the club having the benefit of money paid without return, indeed I half expected this to happen when I renewed, however when it comes to a match like this many feel it shouldn’t be being played in the first place and many are feeling frustrated at seeing the national league stances, footballers breaking rules etc and clubs like Torquay not really working as a team with clubs like us.

It’s not about the 9.99 to me, and not anti club, it’s more about those wider factors frustrating then being asked to pay again...

I’m not a fan of the trophy anyway (as I’ve said before on here) but it’s probably about the top of what I’d pay to watch that game live let alone on TV....

The biggest danger is next season if all this goes on many wont be as willing to sign up. Times are tough for many people and the club....
merse

Post by merse »

Well that's flabbergasting; your club's like one of those beggars sat underneath a cash dispenser aren't they!

For a start, they don't answer the phone nor respond to emails in my experience drawn from this week's fiasco and they're regarding Torquay United as some sort of Spurs visiting that much better run club down the road from them; Marine. I hope George Edwards ~ the TUFC CEO & Managing Director ~ tells them where to get off and behave themselves!
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

CEO and Managing Director. I hope our staff remember to genuflect appropriately.
Ronnie Hotdogs
BASTARD
BASTARD

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I think he has given himself that title to impress girls.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

merse wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:36 pm Well that's flabbergasting; your club's like one of those beggars sat underneath a cash dispenser aren't they!

For a start, they don't answer the phone nor respond to emails in my experience drawn from this week's fiasco and they're regarding Torquay United as some sort of Spurs visiting that much better run club down the road from them; Marine. I hope George Edwards ~ the TUFC CEO & Managing Director ~ tells them where to get off and behave themselves!
The one good thing in all of this, is that the tie will be decided tomorrow, one way or the other. You can then wander off back down the M5 in the knowledge that our paths are very unlikely to cross again for a long time to come. Good riddance.
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

SfcFPA wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:17 pm James has asked me to post the below message
James Tedford wrote:It’s important that we add some context to the situation.

When the club made the commitment to allow free access to FA cup and FA trophy matches (access that would normally be charged over and above a season ticket in pre covid times) this was a decision taken when the club was in receipt of £30k pcm for the duration of the season.

That funding stopped suddenly and the club has had to make a full months salary commitment from our reserves that we have all worked so hard to build up, Board, staff, volunteers and fans.

In all home cup matches to date we have agreed with our opponents that revenue that would be generated by the season ticket holders / members would not be included in the gate receipt returns.

We are still engaging with Torquay to reach the same agreement.

I am personally disappointed to have received legal threat emails from “supporters” when a simple phone call would have sufficed. The club, under Ian Kyle’s guardianship, has been more open than its ever been in its recent past.

Should the club have to pay the cost of the free subscriptions then the total cost, to the club, to put this match on will be circa £3k (this estimation includes the minimum fee for competing)

I am still working hard to reach an agreement with Torquay and any update will be communicated by the clubs official channels.

James
Well said James, I’m pretty sure that any GENUINE Southport supporter won’t begrudge giving the Club £9.99 given the current financial situation it finds itself in.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Falkland yellow
----------
----------

Post by Falkland yellow »

This is the time and opportunity to step up as an SFC fan. The club and management needs all the help it can get in both £s and a boost to the management’s morale. Put yourself in their shoes. Through a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic (and not through any form of mismanagement), the club finds itself in an existential crisis. Had the management not been as prudent as it has been in preceding years, then we would be in a significantly worse position. So they will continue to have my DD, and my £9.99 for tomorrow’s game (half of which will help the SFC cause) and we can look forward to next season with more confidence than if we all chose to do the opposite. Our position should be to think of other ways in which we can support the club and its management right now, so that we do have next season to look forward to. To do the opposite would be akin to rats jumping off a stricken ship.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Valid anytime but especially now with people on furlough or losing work they may not have a spare tenner for a frivolous live stream when they had planned for a membership etc to cover it. Don't be harsh on people if they feel put out as you may not know their situation.