National League up the anti

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Re: National League up the anti

Post by John Glendenning »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=195&p=5138#p5138

Topic posted on the FSA thread here. We are hoping to have FSA issue a common statement (between all the supporter groups involved). Please check it out and any suggestions would be more than welcome.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

TrickyDicky wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:05 pm We’ve posted our view on the situation now so up yours National (lampoon ) League.
...and if the leagues sponsors are playing hardball, perhaps it should be called the VANDALRAMA league. :lol:
IBarch

Post by IBarch »

Delighted to see our club stand up and be counted tonight. Proud to wear the shirt.
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Post by PortDan1121 »

The state of the replies on social media to the whole thing is madness. The obliviousness of some fellow fans has been unreal. Saw some Chester fans piping up claiming teams that don't play should forfeit the 3 points to them. Unfortunately for our Welsh friends who still don't know the proper name of their own club the season will be null and voided. But could be worse. Could be a club that has hundreds of pint glasses that have "2022" written on them. Ooops
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

I'd not care about idiots on social media. In fact, I'd say at least someone credits the club with 7 supporters - usually those prats say "both their supporters"!
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

I'm surprised those plonkers havent realised millions worked through the pandemic because millions had to. Football is not a necessity for a functioning society, the fact that its the football clubs are the ones having the point that out is just plain odd. Usually plenty of people like to point out football isnt the be all and end all.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

If you took any notice of comments on social media you’d think the whole country were anti-vax conspiracy theorists.
joebloggs
----------
----------

Post by joebloggs »

Phila9037
----------
----------

Post by Phila9037 »

Just posted on Facebook

From the FSA this afternoon:-

“Grants promise from National League to clubs ‘unfortunate’ says Sports Minister

Posted on 16th February 2021

In a letter to the FSA, Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston has confirmed that ‘at no stage’ did the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) offer ongoing to support to the National League only in the form of grants.
Responding to our letter to the Secretary of State for DCMS Oliver Dowden sent in January, in which we lobbied for non-league clubs to receive grant funding to secure their financial future amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Huddleston reaffirmed the Government position that football should not receive special treatment, and that they had been clear with the National League on their plans for future funding.
“At no stage was the National League told by DCMS that its support would only be in the form of grants,” Huddleston wrote.
“It is unfortunate that the National League chose to communicate this to clubs without first clarifying the nature of the support with DCMS. This appears to be a regrettable misunderstanding but DCMS cannot be held responsible for internal communications between a governing body and its clubs.”
“An offer of grants, where loans could be afforded, would be inconsistent with support offered to other sports.”
The ongoing row over National League funding shows no signs of abating. Clubs are now being threatened with disciplinary action as they weigh up the costs of continuing a season with no spectators and the prospect of being forced to take on debt to do so.
The lack of clarity has led clubs including Dover Athletic and Tonbridge Angels to furlough their entire first team squads, while the National League has charged clubs including Concord Rangers, Dulwich Hamlet and Chippenham Town with failure to fulfil fixtures.
Clubs and fans are now left awaiting the Government’s announcement of its roadmap out of the current lockdown restrictions, expected on 22nd February, to see what lies ahead.
Following their consultation of more than 800 clubs the FA are also expected to await further details from the Government before deciding on the future of the 2020-21 season at Steps 3 to 6 of non-league.
The FSA reiterates our belief that the decisions made on the future of the season should be done with the sustainability of the game at heart. Our hope is that a collegiate and common sense response can be found by the National League and their member clubs to get through the current crisis, which has caused unnecessary division.”
tonyhey
----------
----------

Post by tonyhey »

Just listened to Ian Kyle’s latest interview on Radio Merseyside.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p095t1x6
I thought he sounded quite downbeat, which isn’t surprising giving the amount of pressure he must be under. He’s trying keep the club afloat and getting absolutely no support from the Governing body. For me, he’s absolutely correct with both his reasons for taking the decision not to play, the health and well-being of everyone involved has to be of paramount importance, after all how would he feel if someone was to die because we had carried on playing meaningless football matches at the expense of safety. On the second point, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to borrow money to continue lose more. If ultimately, the National League sanction us, and other clubs for putting the health and welfare of players, staff, volunteers, as well as the financial security of the clubs first, then so be it, perhaps we would better out of the National League set up altogether.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

DCMS have made their position clear and firm push back to the National Leagues Boards door as loans were not promised. Big vote of no confidence coming in the National Board me thinks from its members.

I listened to IK radio broadcast and can understand he is tired of repeating the same thing over and over and the wheels within the National League turning so slowly in even announcing the outcome of the voting on resolutions 1-4.

Suspect his only regret Is playing the Trophy game on a couple of fronts as it wasn’t that the prize money paid for testing more a case of we played because of the prize money at stake.

The much anticipated Roadmap from Boris is rumoured to include the League and FA Cup as test events for the return of crowds in advance of the possible European Championships this summer.

Nothing I’ve seen indicates a return of spectators to sport at our level anytime soon and nor would I think any of us expect so.

I can only see Null and Void as the outcome to our season. The National League is going to prove interesting.
Phila9037
----------
----------

Post by Phila9037 »

Season declared null and void

Right decision ,just took way too long to get there