Season declared null and void

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Re: Season declared null and void

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Redrobe fan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:32 pm
BTW in Scotland they say 'jag' not 'jab'. I heard that the Scottish Government was giving everyone there a Jag - now that might influence a referendum!
And Partick Thistle are called The Jags for obvious reasons.
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

19 NLN/S clubs have written to NL stating that they want to continue.
Also Kings Lynn say that they will play their next 2 matches but unless something happens, it will be their final week.
Everything is just a chaotic shambles.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

Correct descision made... eventually. We cannot sweep this season under the carpet though, 17th place in the sixth tier at the time of null and void is our worst finish since 1980/81. We have been saved from a forty odd year embarrassment, but let's use this as a 'get out of jail free card' and sort ourselves out for next time round. The next six months is a golden opportunity and cannot be wasted.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

Port on the Kent wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 pm Correct descision made... eventually. We cannot sweep this season under the carpet though, 17th place in the sixth tier at the time of null and void is our worst finish since 1980/81. We have been saved from a forty odd year embarrassment, but let's use this as a 'get out of jail free card' and sort ourselves out for next time round. The next six months is a golden opportunity and cannot be wasted.
Agree, and we should start by implementing Badger’s final paragraph suggestion or otherwise It’ll likely be Groundhog Day this time next year on our playing performance.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Port on the Kent wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 pm 17th place in the sixth tier at the time of null and void is our worst finish since 1980/81.
It's not a finish as it's null and void and with only a third of our games played that's a bit of a harsh judgement.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Yep,if the season had been allowed to finish, we might have made 12th,way to go,
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

george wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 pm Yep,if the season had been allowed to finish, we might have made 12th,way to go,
Well exactly. I know it wouldn't set pulses racing but "worst finish since last season" isn't quite as hysterical as a bed wetting "worst finish since 1980-81".
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Good decision to null and void.

With regard season tickets it has to reflect individuals economic circumstances.
I'm still employed and paid season ticket so its money spent that I dont expect back and the club need the revenue. I recognise others may not have that capacity, particularly if made unemployed or furloughed.
Somehow the club need to acknowledge the giving of fans but taking revenue downwards probably isn't the answer. Maybe things like bring a friend for free next season if you had a season ticket or membership this season could be a good way to do that.
In the meantime if you look at it that we've had an exceptionally odd season and been to just 3 home games for the money, but it works out around the same as liverpool or everton fans pay per game every season it makes it a bit more palatable..
Club survival and giving us a best chance of a running start is paramount.
Where I would get really angry is if the league started to impose fines with the club having to use your and my money to pay them. That'd make me not renew as I'm not working hard for that....
Mr Ah Yes
----------
----------

Post by Mr Ah Yes »

...and now it is all kicking off in the Championship, as treasury puts the brakes on a £100m+ loan.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

When the scientists, politicians, and all the other people whose income hasn't been affected by lockdown, finally turn there attention to the economic situation, I fear they have fastly underestimated how many people, businesses ect,will have lost almost everything, some football clubs wont survive
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

The virtue of the division will be retained because it wont be de-fylde.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Mr Ah Yes wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:22 pm ...and now it is all kicking off in the Championship, as treasury puts the brakes on a £100m+ loan.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56137353

Quick scan of t' net revealed this.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Interest free loan.....
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

John Glendenning wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 pm
Mr Ah Yes wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:22 pm ...and now it is all kicking off in the Championship, as treasury puts the brakes on a £100m+ loan.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56137353

Quick scan of t' net revealed this.
I think it was entirely valid to insist that the loan should not be used to increase player remuneration. That’s not what the loans were intended for, and the outrageous salaries paid to players are behind the financial difficulties facing football.
It’s a weird value system in which a University Professor earns in a year less than half a footballer is paid per week, and your granny waits two years for a replacement hip when a footballer can be airlifted across Europe for a scan of his toes.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Part of the letter sent by National North/South clubs to it's board wishing to carry on playing in a "mini league" to retain promotion and relegation, talks of playing on being in the best interests of the mental well being for it's supporters and communities.

What a load of tripe...
That surely applies to all clubs and all their supporters?

Another pathetic "argument" was wasting the 3 months National lottery funding -laughable...

I think it's six clubs from National North (AFC Fylde, York City, Chorley, Boston Utd, Gloucester City and Kidderminster) who all see a short cut to playing at a better level next season.Just be honest about it...and stop insulting other clubs fans intelligence.
It wouldn't work out a bad deal to only play just over the equivalent of half a season to achieve that aim-making yet more mockery of an industry crying out for reform and strong leadership.
This after the farce of last seasons finish too..

Every club invested in this season so I don't buy that argument-some more than others but hasn't that always been the case...?
123Port

Post by 123Port »

If 6 teams want to play as a mini league let them get on with it as long as they accept the normal terms. Each team plays each other home and away, the team who finishes 1st goes up automatically, the bottom 3 go down. If they’re all happy with that then so am I.
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

123Port wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:57 pm If 6 teams want to play as a mini league let them get on with it as long as they accept the normal terms. Each team plays each other home and away, the team who finishes 1st goes up automatically, the bottom 3 go down. If they’re all happy with that then so am I.
If they're spreading Covid-19 I'm not happy with that.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

yellowfever wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 am Part of the letter sent by National North/South clubs to it's board wishing to carry on playing in a "mini league" to retain promotion and relegation, talks of playing on being in the best interests of the mental well being for it's supporters and communities.

What a load of tripe...
That surely applies to all clubs and all their supporters?

Another pathetic "argument" was wasting the 3 months National lottery funding -laughable...

I think it's six clubs from National North (AFC Fylde, York City, Chorley, Boston Utd, Gloucester City and Kidderminster) who all see a short cut to playing at a better level next season.Just be honest about it...and stop insulting other clubs fans intelligence.
It wouldn't work out a bad deal to only play just over the equivalent of half a season to achieve that aim-making yet more mockery of an industry crying out for reform and strong leadership.
This after the farce of last seasons finish too..

Every club invested in this season so I don't buy that argument-some more than others but hasn't that always been the case...?

A Mini League of National North /South teams What deluded fools are in charge of these clubs , Iam all right Jack comes to mind . :o
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

I've no problem with them wanting to continue but when it's such a small league you should also cut the promotion place to just one, shared between both leagues. Champions of the North can playoff against the Conf South champions to replace (presumably) Dover.

But if their real concern is peoples mental health, I'd argue the need for any promotion at all.
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

The concept of a mini league is nonsensical of course. But would the participants be quite as keen to take part if the bottom teams were to be relegated?