Good news?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PortDan1121
----------
----------

Good news?

Post by PortDan1121 »

There was maybe some good news yesterday for the first time in a while. We might actually be able to go to a football match next season. From May 17th, up to 4,000 fans will be able to attend a match. Not too sure if this still involves the current restrictions of wearing masks, one-way systems, etc. Obvs our season has ended so we will have to wait until August to see for real. Wouldnt be surprised though that the plans changed and we are unable to enter the ground again at the start of next season, but hopefully, we will be all allowed in.
Exiled
----------
----------

Re: Good news?

Post by Exiled »

Well, the "earliest possible" date they gave for the removal of all restrictions on social contact is 21st June, well before our next season is due to start. That seems incredibly optimistic to me though, and I'll be surprised if there aren't still some limits on attendances in August.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Even 50% capacity would be fine for most at our level.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 pm Even 50% capacity would be fine for most at our level.
15% will be enough 😀
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

We should come back to this thread a few weeks after the mini biohazards have gone back to school.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Vaccination passports to football grounds seems to be the way forward and the way things are progressing it should be possible by the start of the new season.
Personally I will continue to wear a mask and i would hope that all supporters will do the same. I don't want to risk getting or transmitting the virus.
Stay safe everybody and hope......
Formula Port
----------
----------

Post by Formula Port »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 am Vaccination passports to football grounds seems to be the way forward and the way things are progressing it should be possible by the start of the new season.
Personally I will continue to wear a mask and i would hope that all supporters will do the same. I don't want to risk getting or transmitting the virus.
At what point will you deem it safe not to?
Gloucester
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester »

My genuine concern for sport is that people after 8/12 months tend to find other things to do so I think attendances across the board may not recover immediately?
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Gloucester wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 pm My genuine concern for sport is that people after 8/12 months tend to find other things to do so I think attendances across the board may not recover immediately?
The sale of tickets to watch England play cricket this summer would suggest an opposite effect, people are really eager to return to normal pastimes.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Formula Port wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:27 pm
portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 am Vaccination passports to football grounds seems to be the way forward and the way things are progressing it should be possible by the start of the new season.
When swathes if people are not dying and the selfish people who have refused the vaccine have either been forced to take it or made to self isolate, in the same way that people like me have for the last year (hence the need for passports).
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Forcing people to take vaccines? Hmm.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

I would think that the ending of all restrictions by June 21st relating to "social contact" is more a case of "please love me" from Boris and his Government than any sort of firm timeline. I am reassured that unlike the last lifting of lock down we are not all being urged to "eat to help out" or being encouraged by Government bonhomie to to immediately jump in the car / on the train / bus, visit the nearest British holiday destination and get pissed enough to wake up hugging a traffic cone minus any memory of how it got there. This time there is at least some gradualism and a background hum of "caution".

With all of that now said, vaccination does NOT prevent an individual from becoming infected. What it should do (according to available data so far) is reduce the viral load somewhat which in turn should (but no certainty) prevent the more severe manifestations of the illness. Vaccination also does not prevent an infected, but vaccinated individual infecting someone else. Again, because of reduced viral shedding (through breath, coughing and touch) a vaccinated person is less likely than an un-vaccinated individual to infect others with a large dose of virus which in turn carries a greater chance of serious illness.

It is all speculative mostly because it takes time and many cases to build up a population wide profile that in turn might produce more scientifically solid data.

SO, in my usual long winded manner I have arrived at the bit where I opine that some restrictions remaining beyond the season start would be prudent and most likely necessary if we are to avoid another surge of infection and death.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm Forcing people to take vaccines? Hmm.
No, not forcing them, they will have the option to stay at home and self iaolate, (like millions of clinically vulnerable people have been doing), there is a big difference.
Also taking a mask before games could replace taking a knee, as a show of thanks to all the people who have made such massive sacrifices and given so much for the benefit of society as a whole. All lives matter.
Formula Port
----------
----------

Post by Formula Port »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:41 pm
Formula Port wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:27 pm
When swathes if people are not dying and the selfish people who have refused the vaccine have either been forced to take it or made to self isolate, in the same way that people like me have for the last year (hence the need for passports).
I think you’re treading into very dangerous waters talking about what would be in effect, a forced vaccine. By the start of next season we will have offered a vaccine to every adult in the country and cases will be nowhere near the levels they are now. At some point we have to get on with our lives.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

If the termanly terrified wish to always wear a mask, then that's ok,wot harm can it do?me,can't wait to throw the damn thing in the bin
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Offered a vaccine being the operative word. Accepting it is a different matter.
There is a choice, restrictions on what you can do if you dont, more freedom if you do. Obviously there would have to be exemptions for genuine reasons, such as where it would be medically unsafe. There are already restrictions such as not being allowed into shops without a face mask (except on medical grounds), the vast majority of people accept that, why not this ?

Why do people have to pass a test to drive a car, is it to deprive garages of repair work, or to protect lives ?. Like it or not there are controls on what we are allowed to do. If you wish to travel to certain countries vaccinations are mandatory, so there is a choice, have the jab or go elsewhere. Why isn't that acceptable in this case ?
portexileinbath
----------
----------

george wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:03 am If the termanly terrified wish to always wear a mask, then that's ok,wot harm can it do?me,can't wait to throw the damn thing in the bin
When hopitals are less busy I would strongly advise going in for a brain implant, unfortunately social consciences have to be generated from within, a brain may help you develop one.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm Forcing people to take vaccines? Hmm.
Discuss.

I remember the teacher at KGV saying 'everyone go down to the gym', 'now roll your sleeves up'. Those were the days! That was the way to stop an epidemic!

Nowadays you'd have to send out information sheets a week before and get signed consent forms.

In some countries (including most US states) you cant send your children to a state school unless they've had their jabs.

I was in the pharmacy last autumn and the pharmacist asked a (youngish) lady if she wanted her flu jab, as a batch had just come in. 'I'm not having government poison' she replied. 'Oh no', said the pharmacist, 'its perfectly safe'. Then pointing to me the pharmacist (who knows me well) said 'this gentleman will explain, he knows all about vaccinations'.
Taking a deep breath, I started 'Well actually...' the lady cut in and said 'you can fuck off for a start'. I made my exit.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:44 pm
Discuss.

I remember the teacher at KGV saying 'everyone go down to the gym', 'now roll your sleeves up'. Those were the days! That was the way to stop an epidemic!

Nowadays you'd have to send out information sheets a week before and get signed consent forms.

In some countries (including most US states) you cant send your children to a state school unless they've had their jabs.

I was in the pharmacy last autumn and the pharmacist asked a (youngish) lady if she wanted her flu jab, as a batch had just come in. 'I'm not having government poison' she replied. 'Oh no', said the pharmacist, 'its perfectly safe'. Then pointing to me the pharmacist (who knows me well) said 'this gentleman will explain, he knows all about vaccinations'.
Taking a deep breath, I started 'Well actually...' the lady cut in and said 'you can fuck off for a start'. I made my exit.
And now we have illnesses like measles on the rise because some people think they know better than doctors and scientists.
A lot of these people can barely string a coherent sentence together. But of course you mustn't tell sovereign individuals what's good for them or remind them of their responsibility to others.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

There are of course those who can't have the jab, they rely on society doing their bit. If you can it is your moral duty as a citizen to get your Covid jab, to help those who are less fortunate than you.

If you are not willing to get it then it speaks volumes about you as a person none of it good.

As for masks, the sooner I can stop wearing the damn things the better. I really hate them.