New Director

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Paulisi
----------
----------

Re: New Director

Post by Paulisi »

No idea about his business acumen, but has he put any money into the club and what is his area of expertise.
I see Liam has become a multiple company director over the last 6 months.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

It will be interesting to read an interview with him and discover what he thinks about the club, why he wanted to join the board and what he will bring to the board and the club.
Seano

Post by Seano »

Great to see board getting strengthened. Welcome!
Ps - he has no links to ‘that’ person 👍🏻 Great addition.
Stockport

Post by Stockport »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:07 pm
My long term business plan for the club was to get an ex-premier league player to pay Stockport County to let him manage them. (Ex-players have the money so it makes sense for them to pay to get on the ladder, giving them something to do)
I can only think of about ten reasons why this is a bonkers idea.

There's an article elsewhere that quotes Tony Evans as describing Stephen Vaughan as "a friend" and "a good guy" - so excuse me if I take a lot of convincing on this one.
You are a wise man Ste B! His brief involvement with us was a very strange affair! Don't want to say too much for fear of legal recriminations but you'd be right to be guarded. Hopefully for you guys his role with you is in a very different capacity i.e. director only. If he ends up making a move for a takeover somewhere down the line then good luck!
Unibond Awakes
----------
----------

Post by Unibond Awakes »

Historic...... leave the speculation & outcome to the the existing directors ,
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Unibond Awakes wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:18 pm Historic...... leave the speculation & outcome to the the existing directors ,
Well we’re hardly going to use information from the future, are we?

Anybody who walks into a football board room should expect some level of scrutiny. It only takes a minute to Google Mr Evans and find a red flag. If there’s nothing to hide then it can easily be explained, and we can all go-about our business wanting the best for the club.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Ste_B wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:46 pm
Anybody who walks into a football board room should expect some level of scrutiny. It only takes a minute to Google Mr Evans and find a red flag. If there’s nothing to hide then it can easily be explained, and we can all go-about our business wanting the best for the club.
Completely agree, level of scrutiny is completely valid for Mr Evans, who like you say displays a lot of red flags on a quick Google search.

However, If you put into perspective that he was in his late twenties attempting to buy a football club, to be in that position you must be doing something right. Albeit his businesses failed hugely at time, which shouldn’t go unnoticed. But you learn from your mistakes, and from the outset seems to have learned in terms of business in recent years, let’s hope so in a football sense too, only time will tell - seems very well connected and keen.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Paulisi wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:40 pm No idea about his business acumen, but has he put any money into the club and what is his area of expertise.
I see Liam has become a multiple company director over the last 6 months.
Is Mr Evans a Hodgkinson Man, if he brings extra finance into the club great better yet if Watson is moving into business perhaps it will pave the way for a Coach/Manager to come in & move the Club forward from a footballing point of view.....after all we are a football club not a Business Club.
Roday1878
----------
----------

Post by Roday1878 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 am .....after all we are a football club not a Business Club.
If it was not run like a business, there would be no football club...
Port Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Port Yellow »

Good news. The board needs expanding and this is a good first step. Ian and Liam have shouldered so much this last year. Welcome to the club Anthony. I'm sure you'll have been prewarned about the attitude of some of our fans!
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Port Yellow wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:45 am I'm sure you'll have been prewarned about the attitude of some of our fans!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with examining the bona fides of anyone connected with a football club. There are many examples of unfortunate associations - ask Barrow, Chester, Northwich Vics, etc.

I don't think our fans are any different from the fans of other clubs......just not so numerous.
Terrace Dweller
----------
----------

Post by Terrace Dweller »

As red flags are being raised, due diligence absolutely essential here.
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

Roday1878 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:50 am If it was not run like a business, there would be no football club...
A former chairman certainly didn't run it like a business, but then again he never actually ran his own business either.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

In total agreement with Redrobe Fan and Terrace Dweller - it’s not ‘attitude’ of some of our fans, it’s concern about anyone who joins the board whom fans of another club have a bad experience with (albeit it was a long time ago and he’s known to Liam and Ian). Would an interview help allay any fears & address what comes forward from a quick Google?
Port Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Port Yellow »

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

SteH90 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:22 pm Would an interview help allay any fears & address what comes forward from a quick Google?
We've been promised an interview.
I'm looking forward to it. This is potentially a very positive development, and I hope that any concerns are soon allayed.
SteH90
----------
----------

Post by SteH90 »

Port Yellow wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:04 pm I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

My apologies then PY
alex russellfan
----------
----------

Post by alex russellfan »

There should be no need to be concerned about this new director, Ian and Liam have the safe future of SFC at heart. Liam is working with Alex Evans and in helping him to become a director indicates that it will bring help hot harm to us. We need to sit back and hope to enjoy the positive side of a stronger team of directors and hopefully a stronger SFC.
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:13 pm
SteH90 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:22 pm Would an interview help allay any fears & address what comes forward from a quick Google?
We've been promised an interview.
I'm looking forward to it. This is potentially a very positive development, and I hope that any concerns are soon allayed.
Questions to the Board interview coming up this month, including new director:-

https://southportfc.net/questions-to-the-board/
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

alex russellfan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:01 am We need to sit back and hope to enjoy the positive side of a stronger team of directors and hopefully a stronger SFC.
Hope is not a strategy