Will YOU Be Returning?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
pault

Re: Will YOU Be Returning?

Post by pault »

Most certainly, but the question is if and when. We know the leagues below us are able to admit spectators although in a reduced capacity, but there's been no word from the Government when the 'elite' clubs can.
BackoftheNet

Post by BackoftheNet »

I will most definitely be returning. Measures will be in place to make match days as safe as possible so let’s get the season up and running. I would normally have renewed my season ticket by now but will doing so in the near future. Come on the Port.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

I'll be back asap. Need to use my new membership! Come on guys, let's get those floodlights sorted!
Would love to go to away games too as I live in Manchester and there are several grounds near here, but that may not be possible for a time unfortunately. Ian, James and all are doing a grand job. Let's hope the team can match them!
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

As I now pay my monthly membership I suppose it doesn't really matter whether or not I do physically attend the match (club get income assured whatever I might do). I have a group of volunteers that I would normally bring to help sell half time draw tickets and clear up the standing areas after the match. As several of them would be classed as "vulnerable", sadly, it is going to be difficult for them to return straight away (that's IF the club allowed them to do so and management at my company and the risk assessment process that will be done gives it the green light). All of these volunteers are desperate for Football to return to "The Pure Stadium" as the whole process has become something of a "highlight of the week" thing for them.
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

I'll be returning to see how it goes over the first few games. If it seems safe enough (and infection rates remain low) I'll keep coming back, if not I won't. From what has been said in recent interviews they seem to be doing the right things in very difficult circumstances, so the signs are promising. If it's not right then the club already have my season ticket money anyway, so no loss for them.

It will be interesting to see what happens with away fans, and our fans travelling to away matches, with consideration to likely reduced capacities. I've seen a few suggestions elsewhere that away fans may not be permitted at some grounds due to capacity and to stop people travelling, but how will this be monitored. We have exiles all over the country (myself included), who could probably be eligible for tickets for away matches closer to us if it's done on a postcode basis. Or alternatively we could play, for example, Farsley at home, and away fans may not be permitted to travel and attend, but I could despite not living far from there.

If we do have a limited capacity for home matches, I wonder if the club would be able to put a system in place where season ticket holders or members who can't make a game could sell their tickets back to the club at a reduced fee, and the club release them back to general sale (maybe with the season ticket holder or member not getting a fee unless their ticket is sold)? It could be of benefit to fans who can't make the game, to the club in terms of ticket resales, and to those who want to just pay and go. Might be a bit tricky to organise though, depending on how the Kaizen system works.
Sgreen1234

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Yes.

However, most of the games I go to are away games. I'm hoping that when things resume, grounds do allow visiting fans in, otherwise Ill have to wear neutral clothes and remain silent (very difficult for me ;) )
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

The club is doing all the right things. The membership fee was a masterstroke - if you haven’t done so, please join.
Nevertheless, the prospects look grim. Unless we can have spectators it is pointless to start the season. With little or no income but all the expense of staging games clubs will fold and the season will collapse into farce, particularly if we have random lockdowns all over the place.
I hope it gets going, though I suspect that with these restrictions and our supporter demographic we can only expect gates of 4 or 500.
Will I be there? Well, my usual visit involves 8 or 9 hours on several trains. I don’t think I fancy all that time in a mask, nor the hassle of having to book specific trains given the capacity of West Coast mainline trains has been reduced to about a quarter. I’ll give it a go, but I suspect I won’t be at Haig Avenue as often as in the past. I’ll also particularly miss away games if we are all banned - they’re usually more fun, and to me often more accessible, than home games.
Just a question - why have pre-season games started so early, given we’re not due to play till October? Looks like unnecessary expense and the longer these games go on, the more likely it is that somebody like Dean Winnard will get crocked.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:03 am
Just a question - why have pre-season games started so early, given we’re not due to play till October?
I presume it's a case of match practice has to be beneficial considering last season finished 10 games early.
Injury risk aside it could be a good thing from the point of view of a team gelling in time for the start of the season rather than still getting to know each other a month into it.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

I’ll be back....looking forward to it.

Just a quick question though...does anyone have a handle on what capacity will be when we return?

As I understand it for games to 30 August it’s 15% of the minimum capacity requirement of the division, which I understand to be 3000. That would make max capacity 450, including the away area. This appears not to be based on our ground capacity which I understand to be nearer 6000.
Once one such game has been played at that capacity and past 30 August I read it as it can be up to 30% of minimum capacity of division which would be 900. That would appear ok for most games, but if away fans capacity is say 1/6th of ground it would be around 750 home fans max. Still looks ok unless we do really well.

My biggest concern would be around lack of 2 way access into the stand. The stairs are tight as they are at the end of a game in particular, although once in the stand I’m sure a one way system could be implemented by condoning off bottom two rows for circulation. Suspect there’s some logistics to sort that issue but otherwise volume of toilets would appear to be biggest challenge for fans.

Whatever the case it’ll be great to be back...
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:13 pm I’ll be back....looking forward to it.

Just a quick question though...does anyone have a handle on what capacity will be when we return?

As I understand it for games to 30 August it’s 15% of the minimum capacity requirement of the division, which I understand to be 3000. That would make max capacity 450, including the away area. This appears not to be based on our ground capacity which I understand to be nearer 6000.
Once one such game has been played at that capacity and past 30 August I read it as it can be up to 30% of minimum capacity of division which would be 900. That would appear ok for most games, but if away fans capacity is say 1/6th of ground it would be around 750 home fans max. Still looks ok unless we do really well.

My biggest concern would be around lack of 2 way access into the stand. The stairs are tight as they are at the end of a game in particular, although once in the stand I’m sure a one way system could be implemented by condoning off bottom two rows for circulation. Suspect there’s some logistics to sort that issue but otherwise volume of toilets would appear to be biggest challenge for fans.

Whatever the case it’ll be great to be back...
There's a video with James Tedford on the official site where some of that is clarified.