FA Cup draw

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Michael
----------
----------

Re: FA Cup draw

Post by Michael »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:18 pm
It would be a boring and predictable sport if results were determined by the size of a town's population.
[/quote]
They aren't. The story at Southport FC has long been one of neglect and mis-management. What is required is ambition, leadership and business acumen - qualities sadly in short supply at Haig Avenue and the reason why so many other lesser clubs have overtaken us.
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Well said!
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Michael wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:54 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:18 pm
It would be a boring and predictable sport if results were determined by the size of a town's population.
They aren't. The story at Southport FC has long been one of neglect and mis-management. What is required is ambition, leadership and business acumen - qualities sadly in short supply at Haig Avenue and the reason why so many other lesser clubs have overtaken us.
[/quote]
So what would you suggest, a spending spree and then form a phoenix club ?. Fire everybody and start again ?
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

I would suggest we get the qualities described above, it's not that difficult to find such people if there's the will. Perhaps we could use some of Mr Hodgkinson's legacy
portexileinbath
----------
----------

LW certainly has business acumen, look at the players we have brought in and then managed to sell on for decent money. This is a big reason why we still have a club to support.
He also has experience and a history of success at this level.
Not to mention his love of the club.
However, if things haven't shown a dramatic upturn by 20-30 games into the season, then fiinding a replacement would get my backing. I doubt this will be necessary though.
Lets not forget our fixture schedule so far has been about as bad as it could have been. If our opening results were looked at in a season long view, draws against, glos, kid & gates at home would be nothing to moan at and losses by an odd goal at Fylde & spenny are hardly disasters (not good i admit but we all want more !).
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Michael wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:46 pm Perhaps we could use some of Mr Hodgkinson's legacy
Not sure how much a load of yellow seats and crippling wage commitments will get you these days tbh.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

There has to be an ambition to improve from where we are at present surely, otherwise what is the point? I think we have leadership-what would you like Michael-a weekly parade of strength down Haig Avenue? I think we have buisness acumen too.
What we don't have is finance, which I'm sure very deep down somewhere in your concious you will realise? If you can help then I'm sure Ian Kyle, Liam Watson and Steve Porter will be only too happy to hear from you?
becbee
----------
----------

Post by becbee »

If the determining factor was the size of the local population, the Premier League would comprise of the London, Manchester and Birmingham clubs plus clubs from the London Boroughs, i.e. Enfield, Barnet, Bromley, Croydon, Sutton, etc.
Forest Green Rovers would be Southern League.
Ultimately, it comes down to investment at the top. Brentford, Forest Green Rovers, Southport - all had ambitious owners. Two stayed, one didn't.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Michael wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:46 pm I would suggest we get the qualities described above, it's not that difficult to find such people if there's the will. Perhaps we could use some of Mr Hodgkinson's legacy
Strange how Accrington are doing so well under our ex manager, We have stood still at best others clubs have moved on. :!:
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

badger wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 pm Strange how Accrington are doing so well under our ex manager, We have stood still at best others clubs have moved on. :!:
...and others have just disappeared.
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

yellowfever wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:53 pm There has to be an ambition to improve from where we are at present surely, otherwise what is the point? I think we have leadership-what would you like Michael-a weekly parade of strength down Haig Avenue? I think we have buisness acumen too.
What we don't have is finance, which I'm sure very deep down somewhere in your concious you will realise? If you can help then I'm sure Ian Kyle, Liam Watson and Steve Porter will be only too happy to hear from you?
If we already have these qualities why have we been languishing in the lower regions of Conference North for so long? It's not all about money either since other clubs with far fewer facilities and advantages than Southport have overtaken us.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Michael wrote: If we already have these qualities why have we been languishing in the lower regions of Conference North for so long? It's not all about money either since other clubs with far fewer facilities and advantages than Southport have overtaken us.
So long? They've only been in charge for 2 years since Phil Hodgkinson left.
A season of readjustment during the fallout of his departure followed by a pandemic.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:02 pm
Michael wrote: If we already have these qualities why have we been languishing in the lower regions of Conference North for so long? It's not all about money either since other clubs with far fewer facilities and advantages than Southport have overtaken us.
A season of readjustment during the fallout of his departure followed by a pandemic.
The rot set in more than 2 years ago, long before Mr Hodgkinson's time.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Sam wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:52 pm
badger wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 pm Strange how Accrington are doing so well under our ex manager, We have stood still at best others clubs have moved on. :!:
...and others have just disappeared.
Caught me out seeing Nuneaton featuring on the FA Cup goals earlier this week. It is easy to look at those going past us but you miss those going backwards....
GeorgeCarrExcavation
----------
----------

Post by GeorgeCarrExcavation »

He left us with a much improved stand and pitch.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Michael wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:15 pm
I don't see how the qualities of the current board, either good or bad, are responsible for any rot that you perceive to have set in before they were in charge.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Same agenda, same moaning, same mud slinging, same bitching, same worn out arguments, same blinkered vision. I would say change the record but in an effort to keep up with the times have you got another playlist on your I player ?.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

GeorgeCarrExcavation wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:20 pm
He left us with a much improved stand and pitch.
Correct GCE.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

There you go Michael-you actually said it..
The rot set in during a certain previous Chairman's tenure.
Michael
----------
----------

Post by Michael »

yellowfever wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:25 pm
There you go Michael-you actually said it..
The rot set in during a certain previous Chairman's tenure.
I presume you are referring to Mr Clapham's tenure. If so, you might care to reflect on Sam Shrouder's recent supportive comments about his chairman who, incidentally, got us out of the Northern Premier league, a cup final at Wembley and promotion to the Conference. Compared to where we are today that doesn't sound like a rot.