Southport P-P Chorley - The league one, not the FA Cup one - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Re: Southport P-P Chorley - The league one, not the FA Cup one - Match Thread

Post by portexileinbath »

As a matter of interest, have all our players and staff been jabbed ?.
george
----------
----------

Post by george »

Chorley play the covid card, don't blame them, they where running scared, didn't fancy another game against a team that won't let go,yes the rest will do the players no harm, and Spennymoor won't be looking forward to it,up the port!!
portexileinbath
----------
----------

george wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:14 am Chorley play the covid card, don't blame them, they where running scared, didn't fancy another game against a team that won't let go,yes the rest will do the players no harm, and Spennymoor won't be looking forward to it,up the port!!
We are getting better by the game, so (hopefully) this will backfire on them, in a big way (goal dif could be important :D ).
We are due a "good" home draw in the next round. I've checked with my Bath City friends and they will give me a lift, in the event.......
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

Doubt we will ever get truth,if covid is reason they would have to cancel match this week. Oh they have no game this week as they were knocked out of cup. Two weeks to get injured players fit
portexileinbath
----------
----------

If they haven't got any cups couldn't they use mugs ?.... Oh they have. :-)
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

So that's the reason....Chorley FC couldn't get petrol to get themselves to Haig Avenue last Saturday.....At least all of their injured players are getting a good recuperation now, and as they obviously don't have a fixture this weekend, they've all had a nice break and can be fit and raring to go the following week...Lovely..
Redrobe
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe »

Presume that’s a joke Yellowfever or hav3 Chorley really changed their story? They now have a rearranged game at home v Branford PA on Saturday.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

I didn't know that Redrobe..
Yeh, yellowfever's attempt at sarcasm (the lowest form of wit I know)
I'm still,like a few still peeved by last Saturday's nonsense.As others have said,nothing will likely happen although for me whatever Chorley have said either to SFC or to the National League board will be acceptable.
The plain fact is, that the postponement was inexcusably late.
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Another question here..

If Chorley FC gave "Covid" as the reason for last weekend's postponed game, then how come they have rearranged a home National North match 7 days later for this Saturday?

Something doesn't add up here.

If it was a player then surely that player would be in isolation for a period and further games postponed?
If it wasn't a player-say a relation of a member of staff then that surely wouldn't have stopped the WHOLE Chorley squad from playing last week?
More questions than answers for me, and we as supporters deserve them.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

The Port fans that only found out about the postponement part way through their trek to see the game, should write to Chorley Fc, explain their costs and ask fot a goodwill gesture to cover them. Sod all will happen but it would be interesting to see if they reply !.
Churchtown Yellow
----------
----------

Post by Churchtown Yellow »

Not sure I get all of the Chorley-bashing here. It was annoying and an inconvenience to many but surely they did the right thing? There was presumably a test done by the player(s) in question on Friday with the results returned on Saturday morning. Surely tests should be done as close to the game as possible? The downside of that is that if there is a positive test, there isn’t time to test everybody else.

They can play a game this weekend because the rest of the squad/staff have (presumably) tested negative. There is no need to isolate if you are double jabbed, but Chorley playing last week would have been an unnecessary risk to us.

Maybe Chorley should have fulfilled the fixture, potentially passing the virus onto a number of our players and leading to our forced withdrawal from the FA Cup…
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

Typical of some of our supporters to take the opposite view to the obvious one..
All I still remember is how my club were treated last season by the National League board with Covid raging around the country, and I think this episode stinks.
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Churchtown Yellow wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 pm Not sure I get all of the Chorley-bashing here. It was annoying and an inconvenience to many but surely they did the right thing? There was presumably a test done by the player(s) in question on Friday with the results returned on Saturday morning. Surely tests should be done as close to the game as possible? The downside of that is that if there is a positive test, there isn’t time to test everybody else.

They can play a game this weekend because the rest of the squad/staff have (presumably) tested negative. There is no need to isolate if you are double jabbed, but Chorley playing last week would have been an unnecessary risk to us.

Maybe Chorley should have fulfilled the fixture, potentially passing the virus onto a number of our players and leading to our forced withdrawal from the FA Cup…
Absolutely agree with this. We don’t know the full facts. I don’t see any issue to be honest, other than the inconvenience placed on some of our travelling exiles to the game.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
mark thomas
----------
----------

Post by mark thomas »

I think the main issue is the financial hit Port took through the late cancellation, all the hospitality income lost.
We needed the match day revenue, as it is, Port will have gone six weeks without a home league game by the time Alfreton turn up mid October.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

The hypocrisy. Fylde aren't allowed to challenge the validity of our actions last season but Chorley have automatically chucked one in to avoid playing near bottom of the league Southport because they have a few injuries and lost a cup replay to them....right?

The fact is that the league will ask for evidence to support the positive tests and therefore it will self govern.

The lack of home game income is a real issue and can't see SFC having much by way of cash reserves these days. Not sure about the boards ability to pump finance into the club and then to cap it all we go bottom of the league.

The squad is in obvious need of strengthening with some experience and we have a thread titled "Future Football League Players" and it dovetails into the same thing. We have lots of young players with potential but they need some older heads around them to bring them on so catch 22. That would help turn the small margins in our favour in my opinion.

This isn't a new thing the squad wasn't balanced from the start of the season and one can only assume its down to financial restraints, irrespective, of what has been publicly stated?

Tough times for all concerned and I'm sure I'm not alone in being worried both short and longer term about the clubs future. With Covid on top a very challenging environment for all to operate in.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

When the others teams have gone through the same batch of fixtures that we have, comparisons can be drawn. Very few sides will take points from the teams we have played and many will get a real thrashings. We have lost by an odd goal on 3 occasions and drawn 3.
In the cup we were given another hard away fixture at Chorley and we managed a very creditable draw and a win in the replay. Another horrid away draw pitches us against a very good side but a result there would not come as a big shock to me.
As for the squad, nobody can disagree that we are low on numbers but the players are getting better by the game and are starting to show their potential, give them a little more time. Unlike the Labour party, we do not have the funds to plant millions of plants in the hope they are money trees and will magically produce a crop of £££££.
YELLOWTAXI
----------
----------

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:13 pm When the others teams have gone through the same batch of fixtures that we have, comparisons can be drawn. Very few sides will take points from the teams we have played and many will get a real thrashings. We have lost by an odd goal on 3 occasions and drawn 3.
In the cup we were given another hard away fixture at Chorley and we managed a very creditable draw and a win in the replay. Another horrid away draw pitches us against a very good side but a result there would not come as a big shock to me.
As for the squad, nobody can disagree that we are low on numbers but the players are getting better by the game and are starting to show their potential, give them a little more time. Unlike the Labour party, we do not have the funds to plant millions of plants in the hope they are money trees and will magically produce a crop of £££££.
Well said that man, totally agree with all of that.👏👏
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Unlike the Labour party, we do not have the funds to plant millions of plants in the hope they are money trees

Tony Wedgwood Bennch was the issue of a money tree.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

portexileinbath wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:13 pm Unlike the Labour party, we do not have the funds to plant millions of plants in the hope they are money trees and will magically produce a crop of £££££.
Furlough £70billion.
Track and trace £37billion.

We don't need trees to find the money seemingly.
Brianm
----------
----------

Post by Brianm »

More sense from YTT, thank you.
I have it on good authority from a Chorley fan that they were bringing around 900 to the game last Saturday on some organised day out to Southport. If so the very late postponement has cost us a lot of money, which we can ill afford to lose. There will be not nearly as many on the rearranged date, whenever that is. So another serious gripe at Chorley!