FT: Southport 9 - 2 Longridge Town

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Nolio

FT: Southport 9 - 2 Longridge Town

Post by Nolio »

Very lively first half so far! Scored within a few minutes, clearance blasted in Newell’s face and rebounded into the net, Longridge equalised with a good long range strike. Morgan scored a lovely half-volley from 25 yards before they equalised with a well-worked set piece. Two goals in a minute from Carver and Newell and then a cracker from Woods.

Been a well-contested game against a lively Longridge side who have looked dangerous going forward. Been impressed with Anson and Challoner.

And if anyone is wondering, I’m here as I’ve been asked to attend a meeting for the Community Trust.
Nolio

Re: FT: Southport 9 - 2 Longridge Town

Post by Nolio »

Finished 9-2, lots of changes at half-time but some excellent football played. Goals for Sampson (pen), Triallist, Woods and Newell in the second half. Back to back trebles for George which is very promising.

I know it’s only pre-season but the team looks fit, sharp and well-drilled. We look to be building a strong squad with quality and the football played was pleasing on the eye.
Phila9037

Post by Phila9037 »

Sounds good progress,thanks for the report

Any of the triallists stand out?and any idea who they are?

Is Liams son still with us?
Nolio

Post by Nolio »

Not 100% sure as I didn’t have a teamsheet - sorry! But some of them did look promising. I think it says it all that they didn’t look out of place with the regular players, it didn’t look at all disjointed. In contrast to other clubs in the division I would say we are aiming more at younger players with a few older heads.
Mart42

Post by Mart42 »

Thanks for the update Noel. Sounds like a decent run out for the lads and in Newell we may just have found that striker we have been craving

Roll on Marine on Tuesday night
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Mart42 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:38 pm Thanks for the update Noel. Sounds like a decent run out for the lads and in Newell we may just have found that striker we have been craving

Roll on Marine on Tuesday night
Away tickets now sold out , what a team 👌
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

I enquired at Marine earlier, the Secretary said to call for an update tomorrow, perhaps they have had a poor response from the Home contingent...
Portoldie

Post by Portoldie »

It sounds like Liam's son did play.
George Newell referred to Niall in the interview on YouTube.
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Goals from yesterday on SFC site.
Blackburn Gold

Post by Blackburn Gold »

Liam also said that he would not be looking outside of the trialists for new signings and also, that not all of them would be signing for us - I wonder if he is referring to his son there,
I didn't follow so well who he meant by " we should enjoy him while we've got him " ?

COYY
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

My guess - Liam referring to George Newell. If he does reasonably well in the first half of the season and scores a few goals Accrington will take him! This would be a shame but I suppose it is the only way we will survive (by selling on players). Don't suppose we will get more than a few thousand for him but that's life, especially these days. We need to be lining up somebody to replace him if that is the case. Have Accy got any young striker they want to put out on loan to us? We seem to have some sort arrangement with them for exchange/loan of players. Hope George does well but also hope we can hold on to him for a while.
I could be completely wrong with all this of course.
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

My guess on this is Mo Ali. Spreads outrageous passes from the back for this level of football. Think we’ve got a star there.
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

Liam was referring to the distribution from the back, you can see Mo in several advanced positions and supplying the forwards in the highlights reel.
Hitchers

Post by Hitchers »

Mo Ali wasn't in the squad on Saturday according to the club's twitter.
Nolio

Post by Nolio »

Yeah, Mo didn’t feature on Saturday although he was there. I suspect he may be talking about Charlie Oliver - although the centre back who impressed me most was Anson. At times he was like one of the Sheffield United centre halves, under-lapping the full backs to considerable effect.
Annonymous_fan

Post by Annonymous_fan »

Any more transfer news