Membership

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE

Membership

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Are we getting a card, like season-ticket holders?
port4ever

Re: Membership

Post by port4ever »

I was wondering that myself. I think the club are making contact soon to ask where in the ground your preference is, seating or standing. Probably get some idea then. Won't matter to me much, living in Spain reduces my attendance somewhat.
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I noticed there’s a further push for season ticket sales today so I’d expect some news on cards being sent out for the new season soon. I suppose there’s no rush until we know we’ll definitely be allowed back to watch at the start of October and as was said above cards will probably just have an area rather than a seat number on as last season.
Met him on a Monday

Post by Met him on a Monday »

Members are entitled to 10% discount on club shop purchases . Recently brought some shirts on line , but didn't get any discount . Effectively the sale is from the club shop so why does the discount not apply ? Wrote to the club didn't get an answer.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

There is no benefit in getting a season ticket/membership until we know that crowds will be allowed back and in what quantities.
The question that needs to be asked is:
Will the club provide a refund if some games are forced behind closed doors or the season finishes prematurely?
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Paulisi wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:53 pm There is no benefit in getting a season ticket/membership until we know that crowds will be allowed back and in what quantities.
The question that needs to be asked is:
Will the club provide a refund if some games are forced behind closed doors or the season finishes prematurely?
Does that need to be asked? Really? When the club is starved of cash as it is should they really be forced to outline contingencies that ensure you don't lose out?

You say there is no benefit? I disagree entirely - it benefits the club immeasurably having fans willing to back them financially in such an uncertain time. Take a look at Chester FC. Their fans have raised 100k towards the playing budget for next season... Without knowing when it will start/end/what the crowds may be. We're struggling to raise 5k for a hydraulic ram

If you support the club then show it - purchase a season ticket and accept that you may lose out on a few matches. If it extends to more than that then have some faith that the club will do their best for supporters.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

You are wrong on this one Paulisi and I must agree with Kenicke! The Club needs all the financial support it can get. The Board, staff and volunteers are doing a great job and it looks like the team are starting to gell too. So pay up willingly with a membership or season ticket and let's get this show on the road!
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

I fully understand the issues with cash flow.
The point is a matter of principle.
They are selling a product with no guarantees that spectators may happen and there is nothing to say what would happen if matches don't take place.
They just need to provide more infornation if they are expecting to refund or not and that would appease many.

If they want a donation, they should ask. I have contributed several times over the summer. That is not the issue.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

As I said I disagree entirely. You aren't buying a TV. You're supporting your local club. Applying expectations such as guarantees to a season ticket purchase in such unusual times is ridiculous and leaning on the old 'point of principle' argument generally just means there's no stronger justification... It's a weak argument based on commercial expectations not what's best for your club.

An adult season ticket cost equates to about 15 or 16 matches. You're already getting 5/6 matches free. The league is scheduled to start in October and the leagues below us have already outlined plans for fan entry. It's reasonable to assume we will follow broadly in line with that. It's unlikely that fans will miss out on more matches than that but, I accept its possible. That's where you need to consider whether you are buying a product or supporting your club.

Incidentally the definition of support is to 'bear all or part of the weight of; hold up; give assistance to, especially financially'. Something to consider when weighing up whether your purchase offers any benefit.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

The difference is that the leagues below have guarantees that spectators can go in having had trials.
Our league has not even had a trial.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

After the strop the club threw when the issue of refunds was raised a couple of months ago, raise it again at your peril paulisi. You risk being the latest victim of an unpleasant tweet from the secretery.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Paulisi wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 am The difference is that the leagues below have guarantees that spectators can go in having had trials.
Our league has not even had a trial.
But they have had FA representation to review the proposed steps taken to safeguard fans (I. E. The Blackpool match). I honestly don't know the protocol regarding trial runs... If one is required then they will do one. It doesn't change my point that you are unlikely to lose out and even if you do miss a few extra matches then I believe that's a perfectly acceptable 'loss'. You're still looking for guarantees when I don't believe you should expect them.

We obviously have very different viewpoints but that's fine... I hope you get the comfort you desire and feel able to buy a ticket soon. All the best.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

I agree with Paulisi on this.

At the end of last season I happily didn’t ask for any refund or expect one as I’d already spent the money and want to help the club survive. I didn’t expect or ask for any acknowledgement of that and none of us got one. I can however see why some may have asked...ie that money would be valuable to someone who’d just lost their job.

While I’ve invested again in order to support the club it was a difficult decision as I don’t know how secure my job will be and I am down on wages since my company cut wages for 6 months and will review it. There are many others worse off however. No matter how much people love or want to support the club supporting families is more important.

I don’t think it’s wrong for people to wait until they know what’s happening before buying or even to come on a match by match basis. It’s nonsense to say they’re not supporting the club because they ask a question. Everyone should do what they can but within their own means...
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:05 pm I agree with Paulisi on this.

At the end of last season I happily didn’t ask for any refund or expect one as I’d already spent the money and want to help the club survive. I didn’t expect or ask for any acknowledgement of that and none of us got one. I can however see why some may have asked...ie that money would be valuable to someone who’d just lost their job.
I don't disagree with this at all. Each fan has to weigh up their own circumstances and decide whether a season ticket is a sensible option. If circumstances at present don't make that the right thing to do then no one should criticise that decision. Yes, circumstances can change too meaning a refund would be useful but I don't think buying a ticket in that expectation is sensible. Either commit to the purchase or dont.

That's not the argument Paulisi made though. He argued that there was no benefit in getting a ticket now. There is a clear inference that he has already decided that he can afford one - if not then closed door matches are irrelevant . The bit I disagree with is conditionalising that purchase until the club give a guarantee/commitment to refund if spectators were unable to attend.

Everyone views it differently though - I get that... I'm confident that we'll get to see about 15 matches this season. If we see a few less then I'm fine with that. If its a lot less an offer of a refund or likely more realistically a reduction for next season would be good but I'm not going to ask the club to commit to that before I buy a ticket.

Footy would be bloody boring if we all agreed though 😁👍
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

I have deleted a couple of posts from this thread and wanted to explain why.

Criticism is absolutely fine, but not personal attacks on individuals. This is detailed in the forum rules.

Love Port Chat x
sandgrounder 1965

Post by sandgrounder 1965 »

Quite agree.Please lets not go backwards.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Agree totally. Good to have differing views on here but also to have respect with those we don’t agree with..
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Hear hear. Great to see active and transparent moderation too.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

portchat wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:01 pm I have deleted a couple of posts from this thread and wanted to explain why.

Criticism is absolutely fine, but not personal attacks on individuals. This is detailed in the forum rules.

Love Port Chat x
Well done - great move. Free speech and differing opinions are fine, they make this forum an interesting place to visit. Personal attacks and snide comments have no place.