Terry McCumiskey - RIP

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Big Mac 1985

Terry McCumiskey - RIP

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

I thought it was worth letting Port Chat know that my dad, Terry McCumiskey, passed away last week at his home in Swansea, aged 65. Now I know he won't be well known in more contemporary circles, but before our move to Wales in the nineties, my father commanded a few voluntary roles at Southport, a club he loved so much. Like myself, my dad was born in Southport and rarely missed a game, home and away for the best part of thirty five years. The older Southport fans may remember my dad as the chap who sold 'golden goal' at half time in the northern premier years before the promotion to the Conference. He also swept the stands on a Thursday night, whilst my brother and I galavanted in the corridors of the main stand.

Southport FC meant so much to him. Although he rarely got to games in recent years, he always followed the side and we would have weekly conversations on the state of play. Southport was his passion.

In his memory, friends of mine have sponsored Mo Ali's away shirt for the forthcoming season...a very fitting gesture.

Come on Southport, make it a successful season!
portchat
Site Admin

Re: Terry McCumiskey - RIP

Post by portchat »

That is terribly sad news.

My thoughts and sympathies are with you and your family.

Nic x
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

My sympathy to you, the rest of the family and his friends. RIP fellow Sandgrounder.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Really sorry to hear about your Dad, obviously a wonderful supporter of the club. My thoughts are with you and your family , RIP Terry.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Sounds like he was a wonderful man and a great supporter of the club. So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Terry.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Condolences Big Mac.
exile

Post by exile »

More sad news in a very sad year...
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

I must have known Terry by sight but did not know him.Sad news though RIP Terry.
David999

Post by David999 »

Terry was indeed a faithful fellow sandgrounder and will be sadly missed - there aren’t many with his dedicated approach to a non league club but we have quite a few . RIP Terry
Borough

Post by Borough »

I am so sorry to learn about the death of your father. I remember him well at a time when the club were improving the ground to go into the Conference and he was one of the first to offer any help during what was a hectic time for the club. I think he moved to Wales shortly before I left the club but he took time out to write to me. A true gent and a genuine club supporter.
RIP Terry