News of Former Players - it's back!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe
----------
----------
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:55 am

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Redrobe »

Think they would try to stay in full time football but even if they can’t then the likes of Fylde, Altrincham, Stockport and even Halifax would be more appealing to them. I realise some of those clubs might be full time as well but I am not sure who is and isn’t these days. I would be more than happy to be wrong, particularly as far as Reagan is concerned.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

pault wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am Anyone know if Brodie is still working for Morrisons?
He was striding around Southport Town Centre today looking very fit & well resplendent in his Fleetwood Town Tracksuit, hard to believe his career went South, loads of ability, what happened?
David999
----------
----------
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:32 am

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by David999 »

Agree on Regan Ogle at least - of those clubs think only Alty are part time or mixed full / part - again I could be wrong ?
User avatar
Swedes
----------
----------
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Swedes »

Stuart Mellish has been appointed manager of Glossop North End
superbike999
----------
----------
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by superbike999 »

A close up shot of Mike Marsh was shown on Sky Sports tonight during the Barnsley v Swansea match. He is apparently first team coach for Swansea who are in the Championship play offs. (second leg is on Saturday). They mentioned that he had to give up his playing career due to injury.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm
pault wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am Anyone know if Brodie is still working for Morrisons?
He was striding around Southport Town Centre today looking very fit & well resplendent in his Fleetwood Town Tracksuit, hard to believe his career went South, loads of ability, what happened?
"Resplendent" is not a word I associate with a Fleetwood Town tracksuit and any local resident wearing such attire should get an automatic life ban from Haig Avenue.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

superbike999 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:51 pm A close up shot of Mike Marsh was shown on Sky Sports tonight during the Barnsley v Swansea match. He is apparently first team coach for Swansea who are in the Championship play offs. (second leg is on Saturday). They mentioned that he had to give up his playing career due to injury.
If I recall correctly he joined us because the insurance payout he got for his injury didn't allow him to play professionally.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Sam
----------
----------
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Sam »

Dropped out of the football league with his payout to Barrow then Kiddy, who then got promoted so had to find a new club and we were the highest payers (them were the days!)

Wonder if he ever returned the Red Bull fridge he "borrowed" from the Physio room when he was Assistant Manager to Paul Cook?
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
----------
----------
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Mike Marsh was a cracking player...he'd be close to a Southport non-league xi for me, even if he was only with us for one season.
Alan McDonald was more versatile than a Swiss Army knife.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Redrobe fan »

My recollection is that he could show periods of brilliance but often looked rather half-hearted.
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:30 pm My recollection is that he could show periods of brilliance but often looked rather half-hearted.
Effortless class.
Controlling games yet barely leaving the centre circle.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:39 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:30 pm My recollection is that he could show periods of brilliance but often looked rather half-hearted.
Effortless class.
Controlling games yet barely leaving the centre circle.
Hitting passes none of our players were good enough to see!
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by portexileinbath »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 am
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm
pault wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am Anyone know if Brodie is still working for Morrisons?
He was striding around Southport Town Centre today looking very fit & well resplendent in his Fleetwood Town Tracksuit, hard to believe his career went South, loads of ability, what happened?
"Resplendent" is not a word I associate with a Fleetwood Town tracksuit and any local resident wearing such attire should get an automatic life ban from Haig Avenue.
A lifetime ban seems a bit lenient but look on the bright side, thank goodness it wasn't a Port tracksuit :roll:
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Ste_B »

Mike Marsh wouldn't be anywhere near a squad of my favourites, but easily the first name on a list of the best ex-Port players I'd seen.
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 am
Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm
pault wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am Anyone know if Brodie is still working for Morrisons?
He was striding around Southport Town Centre today looking very fit & well resplendent in his Fleetwood Town Tracksuit, hard to believe his career went South, loads of ability, what happened?
"Resplendent" is not a word I associate with a Fleetwood Town tracksuit and any local resident wearing such attire should get an automatic life ban from Haig Avenue.
Oh
superbike999
----------
----------
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by superbike999 »

Ste_B wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:44 pm Mike Marsh wouldn't be anywhere near a squad of my favourites, but easily the first name on a list of the best ex-Port players I'd seen.
That seems contradictory
Sundance
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Sundance »

Means he probably didn’t rate him as a person but raves about him as a player. personally think he was our best ever NL player.
portexileinbath
----------
----------
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 am

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by portexileinbath »

Sundance wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:36 pm Means he probably didn’t rate him as a person but raves about him as a player. personally think he was our best ever NL player.
Even at 50% fitness most Liverpool players would get in our team and the same goes for all clubs at our level, which is why he would get in my team.
Ste_B
----------
----------
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Ste_B »

superbike999 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Ste_B wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:44 pm Mike Marsh wouldn't be anywhere near a squad of my favourites, but easily the first name on a list of the best ex-Port players I'd seen.
That seems contradictory
Not at all. I’ve had my favourites over the years, but they’ve not always been the best players.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: News of Former Players - it's back!

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ste_B wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:58 pm
superbike999 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Ste_B wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:44 pm Mike Marsh wouldn't be anywhere near a squad of my favourites, but easily the first name on a list of the best ex-Port players I'd seen.
That seems contradictory
Not at all. I’ve had my favourites over the years, but they’ve not always been the best players.
How much overlap is there?
Post Reply