2020/21 Fixtures...

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Gloucester

Re: 2020/21 Fixtures...

Post by Gloucester »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 pm I still wonder whether this season will be feasible given that crowds will be negligible and games will be called off if any players are infected. Crowds will be banned completely again if there are more local lockdowns or if spectators refuse to stand apart etc etc. If it all goes pear-shaped clubs will go bust with no furlough scheme in place.
Hoping for the best but worried.
I agree with you especially in the NW and centre north and midlands where cases are growing it’s concerning.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I see Boris is now saying they are ‘reviewing’ the plan to let spectators in from October 1st.
This season will be an expensive farce.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 pm I see Boris is now saying they are ‘reviewing’ the plan to let spectators in from October 1st.
I’m no Boris fan, but when managing an epidemic you have to continually review the epidemiological evidence and modify your policy as you go - day by day if necessary. A major fault was not making that clear to the public at the start.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Route66 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:29 pm Underwhelmed by the Christmas and New Year fixtures. Surely Curzon were not our number one choice?
If you look at the fixtures in full, all are local derbies, except in the NW
Telford v Chester
Southport v Curzon

The only other NW clash is Chorley v Fylde, which is fair enough.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Paulisi wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 pm
Route66 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:29 pm Underwhelmed by the Christmas and New Year fixtures. Surely Curzon were not our number one choice?
If you look at the fixtures in full, all are local derbies, except in the NW
Telford v Chester
Southport v Curzon

The only other NW clash is Chorley v Fylde, which is fair enough.
With an odd number of north west teams then it's unavoidable that 1 would have to have to venture outside the region. It makes more sense to send Chester to Telford than it would to send Curzon or Southport there. Curzon is as local as Chester is.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 pm I see Boris is now saying they are ‘reviewing’ the plan to let spectators in from October 1st.
The good news is that the DCMS have written a letter today stating that the plan for the National League is to start with crowds from Oct 1, as long as cases don't get significantly worse.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Even though Southport has very few cases, Merseyside will almost certainly follow the NE into tougher lockdown rules.
The NE restrictions have stopped spectators at amateur and semi professional sport....
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I’m afraid I still feel that this season is going to be a disaster for lower-level football. Restrictions on crowds will persist indefinitely and there will be random lockdowns which will disrupt competitions. Clubs need to minimise expenditure and do even more to increase non-traditional income sources. The leagues should restrict teams to one substitute to avoid expense and dispense with the 4th official. Scrap local cups and trophy replays. Only play Saturdays in winter to avoid gates of 200 on Wednesdays in February, and extend the season automatically if there are problems, rather than asking teams to play three or four games a week at the end of the season,
Formula Port

Post by Formula Port »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:18 am I’m afraid I still feel that this season is going to be a disaster for lower-level football. Restrictions on crowds will persist indefinitely and there will be random lockdowns which will disrupt competitions. Clubs need to minimise expenditure and do even more to increase non-traditional income sources. The leagues should restrict teams to one substitute to avoid expense and dispense with the 4th official. Scrap local cups and trophy replays. Only play Saturdays in winter to avoid gates of 200 on Wednesdays in February, and extend the season automatically if there are problems, rather than asking teams to play three or four games a week at the end of the season,
Will be lucky to get a gate of 200 at the FA cup final if the doom mongers get their way.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:51 pm

I’m no Boris fan
Anyone who is must be insane.