Ryan Astles

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Nolio

Ryan Astles

Post by Nolio »

https://www.tnsfc.co.uk/2020/08/05/astl ... ew-saints/

Good luck to him, been solid for the last few years. Not sure this is a great move as far as his career is concerned, more about him retaining full-time football. Still he’s been a solid performer over the last few years. I’ll miss his delightful cross field passes.
Swedes

Re: Ryan Astles

Post by Swedes »

Seems strange for him to want to go back to the LoW, but in this climate a lot of players will have to go where there is a guarantee of a contract. Good luck to him, at least we shouldn't have to face him competitively in the near future!
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

Shame to see him go but glad he's not gone to a rival.

Felt like he improved a lot last year.

Good Luck Ryan.
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Good luck Ryan,sorry you have left us.
Sgreen1234

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Aren’t TNS in Europe next season?
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Not sure about next season but in Europe 2019/20.
mario

Post by mario »

A better player than some people gave him credit for. Good luck Ryan
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Sgreen1234 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:24 pm Aren’t TNS in Europe next season?
Yep

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/d ... 1/2001236/
Ollie Rave

Post by Ollie Rave »

Taken from the TNS Twitter feed:

It’s official! We’ll be hosting MŠK Žilina in the first qualifying round of the 2020 - 2021 UEFA Europa League. #UEL 
exile

Post by exile »

Good luck to him. Never let us down...
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

shame he's gone to a poorly supported WPL side, I hope he enjoys playing on plastic and enjoys those thrilling trips to Cardiff Met, Pen y Bont and Barry.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

mark thomas wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:54 pm shame he's gone to a poorly supported WPL side, I hope he enjoys playing on plastic and enjoys those thrilling trips to Cardiff Met, Pen y Bont and Barry.
Not sure if demeaning a league is any way to go. Lots of clubs from inferior leagues have now gone way past us and beyond. TNS are a decent side with a great setup...tend to win the bigger prizes in Wales and play regularly in Europe. I presume they pay well and offer the contracts that players want. I can see the attraction in that move and wish Ryan all the very best.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

All the best of luck to the big man... Was a solid, consistent player for us, sure he'll do well at TNS.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:08 pm
mark thomas wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:54 pm shame he's gone to a poorly supported WPL side, I hope he enjoys playing on plastic and enjoys those thrilling trips to Cardiff Met, Pen y Bont and Barry.
Not sure if demeaning a league is any way to go. Lots of clubs from inferior leagues have now gone way past us and beyond. TNS are a decent side with a great setup...tend to win the bigger prizes in Wales and play regularly in Europe. I presume they pay well and offer the contracts that players want. I can see the attraction in that move and wish Ryan all the very best.
take your point Big Mac, but TNS are a branding/marketing exercise that doesn't represent any community, plays on plastic and is based in England. They are fawned over and grovelled before by the WFA because they have lots of money. The league of Wales/WPL/Cymru Premier has wrecked some clubs, Colwyn Bay being a major case in point. I do have an axe to grind as I covered the whole sorry saga for the Liverpool Daily Post and others when the entire palaver kicked off at the start of the 90s. Don't get me started. Astles is taking the dosh and good luck to him. I've seen a lot of WPL games and Ryan is dropping down at least a level by joining TNS, just like Cieslewicz (however you spell it) from Wrexham did a couple of seasons back. Apologies for venting.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

mark thomas wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 am
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:08 pm
take your point Big Mac, but TNS are a branding/marketing exercise that doesn't represent any community, plays on plastic and is based in England. They are fawned over and grovelled before by the WFA because they have lots of money. The league of Wales/WPL/Cymru Premier has wrecked some clubs, Colwyn Bay being a major case in point. I do have an axe to grind as I covered the whole sorry saga for the Liverpool Daily Post and others when the entire palaver kicked off at the start of the 90s. Don't get me started. Astles is taking the dosh and good luck to him. I've seen a lot of WPL games and Ryan is dropping down at least a level by joining TNS, just like Cieslewicz (however you spell it) from Wrexham did a couple of seasons back. Apologies for venting.
Haha, please don't apologise for venting! You've obviously made an argument based on your own experiences and knowledge. I've watched quite a bit of WPL football having grown up in the country. There are a lot of good players in the league and as I said, a nice carrot of European football if you wanted to experience something different. I take your point that he may have gone for the cash and fair play to him...why not? Isn't that what people do?
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

mario wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:17 am A better player than some people gave him credit for. Good luck Ryan
Football is fortunately about subjective opinions. I wish him well, but for me we wouldn’t get out of this league with him as the main defender and for me is output of goals scored last season at set piece opportunities he had was disappointing given the number of free headers he had at corners And free kicks. Decent player but no great loss

BTW I’m delighted the new (swish) coloured website Has been revamped by some wonderful people who’ve given up their time for the love of the club-
a massive thank you from me 👌. Just need to get a team now that shows a likewise incremental Improvement over the next season- here’s hoping .
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Just watching Ryan in the Europa cup for TNS, lucky not to have been at fault for 2 goals in the first 18 mins, still 0-0 though.
Hoping it’s just early game jitters and he settles down, hope he does well but we won’t miss him .
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Raul Correira also playing for Bala at Valletta in Malta And both the games featuring one of our recent former players at 0-0 Thus far
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Ryan got yellow card me thinks.Bala one up.
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Keeper Paul Harrison who played a number of games for us a few years back