Virus

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Re: Virus

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Does all seem a bit farcical, but must be to do with Welsh rules and/or seniority of teams.

Another trip to crosby beckons....I was hoping for Milan away..
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

I think we need a reality check; is anyone really expecting this season to be played to its duration?

The National League have already agreed they couldn't countenance playing matches at this level behind closed doors, it makes no financial sense. Therefore as soon as fans are banned, the season is over. Given the direction of travel towards tighter restrictions and a second lockdown, does anybody think we are going to make it through the winter months with 1,000+ people allowed to congregate in one venue?

I've not "bought in" to this season because I don't see the point. I would encourage supporters to view each league match as a 'prestige friendly' where we are essentially playing for bragging rights over the other team, and not points or league position.

I apologise if this sounds all doom and gloom but I am concerned we are floating away in our own support bubble, to borrow a phrase.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Couldn’t agree more, as I argued here a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.1828.org.uk/2020/09/10/foot ... g-forever/
badger

Post by badger »

There are I think more people at Burscough Car Boot on a dry sunny Sunday then there are at Haig Ave most weeks . 99% of the people at the boot have face masks on and as you drive in and pay they gun everyone for high temperature readings . Just saying Food For Thought. ;)
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

if grouse hunts are allowed, pubs are allowed and restaurants are allowed, it seems perverse to deny clubs at our level the opportunity to bring some sporting diversion to communities if they have proved that they are able to fully comply with Covid19 prevention guidelines and stage distanced events. I saw that all the NPL clubs had (reduced) crowds in on Saturday, which seems to set a positive precedent. As Badger said above, HA isn't exactly shoulder to shoulder at the best of times.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

I see some of the club's playing FA Cup games tomorrow in lockdown areas are now playing behind closed doors and have reversed their home fixtures for the weekend where possible.
It is now key for Sefton to reduce lockdown rules as quickly as possible, if we wish to start the season on time with crowds.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

It is irrelevant how sparsely populated Haig Avenue is on a matchday, we are classed as 'elite sport' with the rest of Steps 1 - 6. It is likely one decision will be made on all of the leagues collectively. At the very least, a decision will be made by the National League for all its member clubs.

I think people are living in a dream world I'm afraid.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

If the football we've watched over some recent seasons is 'elite' then I dread to think how bad the non-elite stuff is!!!
Would be a shame to not be able to watch just as we seem to be playing lots of positive stuff.....
YTT

Post by YTT »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54241353

Looking increasingly unlikely
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

If crowds are not allowed back till Christmas clubs simply won’t survive financially if this occurs I think the season should be cancelled.
This happened as aforementioned during both WW1&2 it’s galling but what is the alternative?
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Brianm

Post by Brianm »

Gloucester says that the season should be cancelled. This is totally impractical because players are on contract. Games will have to be played behind closed doors if necessary at National League, NLN and NLS levels. Some method of streaming must be devised for all clubs in these leagues with viewers paying a fee to watch games.It is already happening at some clubs. We cannot cancel the season!
YTT

Post by YTT »

Really precarious position now for clubs outside the Premier League.

Players on contract and unfurloughed and the scheme itself currently scheduled to end in October.

They have asked for further modelling on the impact of playing games without spectators for several more months. Some originally predicted that we would not see a return to football this year and might not be wrong at this rate.

Throughout this pandemic it has, from the top down, lacked clear and decisive leadership and action. Football is no different and at our level the administration has been riding on the coat tails of the EFL, whom in turn, ride off the coat tail of the Premier League and SKY.

I cannot see how it is feasible for lots of teams to continue in the face of this level of uncertainty and cancelling the season may end up being the preferred option for lower league clubs and then at least everyone knows where they stand and can plan accordingly. Survival being the operative word.
Hillsider

Post by Hillsider »

New contracts will have a Covid 19 clause that will cancel the contract if the season is cancelled due to Covid 19.
Players and staff will be out of contract.
When the furlough finishes and the league is cancelled there will be a lot of redundant footballers.

I don’t see how nonleague could play without fans for 6months. I don’t really see the point of football with no one watching.

There doesn’t seem to be much sign of the government letting crowds into no league football or any other sport.

Utterly depressing.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Step 3 down have had confirmation they can still play with crowds.
Step 2 may well apply to remove their elite status.