So. What happens next?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
siddle
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:38 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by siddle »

That was last Thursday's meeting, EPF.
Exiled Port Fan
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

siddle wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:56 pm That was last Thursday's meeting, EPF.
Would help if I had not thought the 24th was Friday.. .
User avatar
PortDan1121
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by PortDan1121 »

I agree with everything that has been said before. It will be an utter shame that the season gets called off and we are not able to start at all. It will feel like a kick in the teeth with a cracking preseason behind us. I have been lucky enough to go to a few games of this year's pre-season and the atmosphere has felt good and safe with regulations that have been put in place at away grounds.

My main question though is a simple one. How can loads of people gather socially distanced indoors at pubs but not outside at a football stadium? Especially non-league football grounds were the fans are socially distanced outdoors where there is less transmission. How are loads of people being allowed to packed onto busses, trains, and airplanes, but not outdoors at football stadiums? Just doesn't make sense. The government regulations just don't seem fair at all. It's almost like all the decisions have been made by people who have never been to a non-league football match at a ground like Haig Ave in their lives.
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

PortDan1121 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:18 pm How can loads of people gather socially distanced indoors at pubs but not outside at a football stadium? Especially non-league football grounds were the fans are socially distanced outdoors where there is less transmission. How are loads of people being allowed to packed onto busses, trains, and airplanes, but not outdoors at football stadiums? Just doesn't make sense. The government regulations just don't seem fair at all. It's almost like all the decisions have been made by people who have never been to a non-league football match at a ground like Haig Ave in their lives.
Totally agree with this. Seems a farce. There's an easy solution to this (allow fans in, socially distanced) and the government have made it so difficult for themselves. 20,000 inside a stadium in Budapest the other day for the Super Cup final...barely a cough in the crowd!
User avatar
PortDan1121
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by PortDan1121 »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:57 pm
Totally agree with this. Seems a farce. There's an easy solution to this (allow fans in, socially distanced) and the government has made it so difficult for themselves. 20,000 inside a stadium in Budapest the other day for the Super Cup final...barely a cough in the crowd!
Just seems a bit mad. Like okay, it may be more of an issue in the league above and for the high home attendance teams such as York, Hereford, and Chester who had average attendances last season above 2,000. But for the sides with lower average attendance, social distancing is more possible so why not. And with a limit on ticket sales, I still do not see this being an issue a 2,000+ average attendance grounds. Again, some grounds are more accessible (have more entrances or exits) than others and have more space around the pitch. E.g. Haig Ave I believe is very well equipped for this with separate entrances for each stand and separate pathways. Meanwhile grounds such as Farsley were there is something like a few turnstiles for the whole ground to use. But other than this I seriously dont see why non league football is more of a risk than things such as indoor activities. Like how are cinemas allowed to open (you have to wear a mask of course) which is an inclosed confined space but an outdoor space such as a non-league football match?
User avatar
Big Mac 1985
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

PortDan1121 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:44 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:57 pm
Totally agree with this. Seems a farce. There's an easy solution to this (allow fans in, socially distanced) and the government has made it so difficult for themselves. 20,000 inside a stadium in Budapest the other day for the Super Cup final...barely a cough in the crowd!
Just seems a bit mad. Like okay, it may be more of an issue in the league above and for the high home attendance teams such as York, Hereford, and Chester who had average attendances last season above 2,000. But for the sides with lower average attendance, social distancing is more possible so why not. And with a limit on ticket sales, I still do not see this being an issue a 2,000+ average attendance grounds. Again, some grounds are more accessible (have more entrances or exits) than others and have more space around the pitch. E.g. Haig Ave I believe is very well equipped for this with separate entrances for each stand and separate pathways. Meanwhile grounds such as Farsley were there is something like a few turnstiles for the whole ground to use. But other than this I seriously dont see why non league football is more of a risk than things such as indoor activities. Like how are cinemas allowed to open (you have to wear a mask of course) which is an inclosed confined space but an outdoor space such as a non-league football match?
I can't go to Haig Avenue, but I can go to the pub and stream it on my phone around others.

Go.Figure.
User avatar
PortDan1121
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by PortDan1121 »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:18 pm
I can't go to Haig Avenue, but I can go to the pub and stream it on my phone around others.

Go.Figure.
My thoughts exactly. Anyway. Hoping for a miracle that we get declassed as being an "Elite" level league and the season is able to start with fans in some way. As another user mentioned above, what's the point if you cant go to the games, watching it on the TV is not the same. The socializing (from a social distance) aspect is what people go for and something I'd defo miss if I had to watch a stream. Anyways, up the port.
puskas
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by puskas »

I think reading through this forum, websites general and various form of media that the problem is the Government.

I have made some other investigations and have found contact details for Oliver Dowden, who seems to be one of the main sticking points. He needs telling what is going on.

You can look him up on https://www.oliverdowden.com/contact

He has a contact form for e-mails. The form asks you to go direct to the DCMS if you are aren't a constituent, personally I would send a message to both. use copy and paste.

There is nothing like filling his e-mail box up with complaints to wake him up.

Perhaps if anybody on here has similar contacts to this forum at other clubs at our level it might be good to spread the word.

A bit of protest can do the world of good :)
TrickyDicky
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by TrickyDicky »

puskas wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 pm I think reading through this forum, websites general and various form of media that the problem is the Government.

I have made some other investigations and have found contact details for Oliver Dowden, who seems to be one of the main sticking points. He needs telling what is going on.

You can look him up on https://www.oliverdowden.com/contact

He has a contact form for e-mails. The form asks you to go direct to the DCMS if you are aren't a constituent, personally I would send a message to both. use copy and paste.

There is nothing like filling his e-mail box up with complaints to wake him up.

Perhaps if anybody on here has similar contacts to this forum at other clubs at our level it might be good to spread the word.

A bit of protest can do the world of good :)
I’ve just emailed him, got an automated response to say he can only deal with his Resident constituents , I replied to say our local MP was a non resident and I was writing to him in his capacity as a Minister. Good idea and Worth a punt though 👍 , no poets please at least not yet!
haigavel
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:34 am

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by haigavel »

Oliver attended Trinity Hall,one of Southport's gems from the 60's. Must have an affinity for us.
TrickyDicky
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by TrickyDicky »

Premier League meeting on Tuesday to decide strategy if season ends early, funding for EFL not on the Official agenda it seems - no light in the tunnel tonight . Everton under 23’s playing twice in 7 days at “home” so some little financial respite there, still hopeful though - why be otherwise
puskas
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by puskas »

puskas wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 pm I think reading through this forum, websites general and various form of media that the problem is the Government.

I have made some other investigations and have found contact details for Oliver Dowden, who seems to be one of the main sticking points. He needs telling what is going on.

You can look him up on https://www.oliverdowden.com/contact

He has a contact form for e-mails. The form asks you to go direct to the DCMS if you are aren't a constituent, personally I would send a message to both. use copy and paste.

There is nothing like filling his e-mail box up with complaints to wake him up.

Perhaps if anybody on here has similar contacts to this forum at other clubs at our level it might be good to spread the word.

A bit of protest can do the world of good :)
I have tonight posted this on Hereford's and AFC Telford's forum, if we can add the idea to other club's forums (I am hoping some of you might help) we could start a fans move to get a change by the Government. Nothing else seems to be working.
BackoftheNet
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by BackoftheNet »

I have just sent an email winging off to Oliver Dowden imploring him to reconsider elite football classification and hopefully allow National League North matches to admit spectators. I am not holding my breath......
Port on the Kent
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by Port on the Kent »

DCMS, or rather, a certain group of civil servants in a certain department of DCMS will be aware of the situation as representatives from the National League are working with them. There is a time for fan power, but the issues are well known and have been publicised at a national level. I don't think we are flagging an unknown issue here. Talks have been ongoing between representatives of the government and the league for days if not weeks. Given the lack of further statements from clubs in the National League, it strikes me that assurances have been made and some form of support package will be announced. Will there still be a shortfall? Probably, but that can be addressed in greater detail down the line.

Let's take a chill pill, stop spamming other club's forums and see what happens this week.
DannyJohnston
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:14 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by DannyJohnston »

“Fans of National League clubs in FA Cup action this weekend will not be able to attend - even if they're playing away at Step 3-6 clubs where spectators are permitted (per guidelines).

NL club v anyone - no fans at all
Step 3-6 v NL club - no away fans permitted”

This is doing the rounds on Twitter
TrickyDicky
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by TrickyDicky »

DannyJohnston wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:29 pm “Fans of National League clubs in FA Cup action this weekend will not be able to attend - even if they're playing away at Step 3-6 clubs where spectators are permitted (per guidelines).

NL club v anyone - no fans at all
Step 3-6 v NL club - no away fans permitted”

This is doing the rounds on Twitter
Sounds par for the course, if we were away I’d just go a ticket as a home fan ; can’t imagine this attempt to police it would work . In any case the 44 clubs mightn’t be in it unless a rescue package is in place . It’s a shambles thus far
User avatar
PortDan1121
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by PortDan1121 »

DannyJohnston wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:29 pm “Fans of National League clubs in FA Cup action this weekend will not be able to attend - even if they're playing away at Step 3-6 clubs where spectators are permitted (per guidelines).

NL club v anyone - no fans at all
Step 3-6 v NL club - no away fans permitted”

This is doing the rounds on Twitter
Seems so stupid. How are the step 3-6 clubs meant to police this? Just seems totally unfair that we are restricted even if we play at a ground that fans are allowed to go to in the lower leagues. But the farcical thing is that we have been able to go to preseason games at away grounds with no issues at all. In fact we have probs helped these smaller teams by bringing a reasonable sized following to Warrington, Bamber Bridge and Marine and boosted matchday income for those teams at the games. In this new rule not only do Southport and other national league N/S teams but also the smaller teams in the cup who rely on both a home and away crowd for a good amount of matchday income. Are the FA trying just to kill non-league football?
TrickyDicky
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by TrickyDicky »

Just seen James interview, very well spoken in no uncertain terms in my opinion. York City to drop the city bit In their name and replace with Scabs.
Ste_B
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by Ste_B »

The Government will provide a coronavirus bailout to the National League, in a move that will allow it to begin on Saturday and stop North and South division clubs withdrawing from the FA Cup...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... gue-clubs/
Liamisdoingagreatjob
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

TrickyDicky wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:35 pm Just seen James interview, very well spoken in no uncertain terms in my opinion. York City to drop the city bit In their name and replace with Scabs.
Agree he come across very professional. Must be incredibly frustrating for him and others.

There are so many farces in these rulings..

the nonsense of not being able to watch live but 20 yards away the game is on in an enclosed bar. I noticed this has been happening elsewhere and is just ridiculous. I was looking at going to see flint town play in the league of wales last Saturday and their media was inviting people to come down and watch...in the adjacent bar.

The nonsense that if I’m a non elite away fan I can travel the length of the country to watch my team but can’t if I’m an elite club fan (numbers can be controlled by ticketing so what’s the difference)

The nonsense that a better ground can have no fans but a lesser club can be fuller...

The nonsense that rules applied to haig Avenue are the same as anfield or Goodson.


Personally I think all clubs at national league level (*except York because they are a cut above...perhaps they’ve got carried away because there had been talk of parliament sitting there) should withdraw simultaneously on Friday from competing in the fa cup. The global negative press that it would create would be significant and force others to take the issue seriously...
Post Reply