So. What happens next?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
TrickyDicky

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ste_B wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:32 pm The Government will provide a coronavirus bailout to the National League, in a move that will allow it to begin on Saturday and stop North and South division clubs withdrawing from the FA Cup...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... gue-clubs/
Nice one Ste it’s the hope that kills you 👍 but this looks promising
YTT

Post by YTT »

Sobering listening to James. It’s certainly going to go down to the wire is this one.

Even if a bailout or funding is forthcoming it will be very dependent on what terms as clubs like Southport aren’t going to be in a position to pay money back if loaned or further advancement on future earnings and how would that sit with other sectors that find themselves in the same position as a result of restrictions?

It’s not a bottomless pit of money and the next 48hrs are going to be huge for Football clubs at all bar Premier League level for their futures and the future of the game.

Fair play to everyone who is trying their best to cover bases that may or not come to fruition in a situation that I’m not sure many honestly know the outcome and it may differ from club to club.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

The payments are a grant not a loan.
siddle

Post by siddle »

The Government will provide a coronavirus bailout to the National League, in a move that will allow it to begin on Saturday and stop North and South division clubs withdrawing from the FA Cup.

The Telegraph has been told that ministers have pledged to provide a rescue package to teams in the three divisions that could stop several of them going bust.

Full details of the package – expected to be in the form of a grant rather than a loan – are unlikely to be finalised before this weekend’s National League kick-off and FA Cup second qualifying round amid hopes it could be worth up to £20 million.

But the Government has now made clear it will underwrite losses made by clubs after forcing them to play behind closed doors by scrapping Thursday’s planned return of fans to elite football.

The uncertainty over whether it would intervene had threatened to throw the world’s oldest cup competition into chaos, with non-league clubs on the brink of withdrawal to avoid triggering player contracts that must be honoured for the rest of the campaign.

The Telegraph was told that teams were planning to begin pulling out as soon as Thursday. They includedTelford United, who are scheduled to travel to Northern Premier League Division One South East Chasetown FC on Saturday.

Speaking before the Government pledge was made, club secretary Luke Shelley said: “We’ve had no confirmation from anybody that we’re having any financial support. So, therefore, we won’t be starting the season on Saturday – and that includes the FA Cup.”

Shelley said Telford’s players would need to know by Thursday night whether or not the match was taking place.

Their game is one in which it was announced fans would be able to attend – but not those of the away side.

The ruling corresponds with current Covid-19 guidelines under which spectators are banned from attending matches in the top six divisions of English football, the so-called “elite” game.

But the decision provoked ridicule, led by Corinthian-Casuals, who are scheduled to host National League South Dulwich Hamlet.

The Isthmian League Premier Division club said in a statement: “As the coronavirus is clearly clever enough to differentiate between supporters of Step 2 and 3 clubs, in their wisdom, supporters of National League clubs – which include Dulwich Hamlet – are banned from spectating. “We have held back on the sale of tickets for the time being but will unfortunately have to limit these to Corinthian-Casuals and neutral supporters only. Please do not purchase tickets if you are a supporter of Dulwich Hamlet FC as both clubs have to adhere to these rules (we cannot believe we’ve had to type that).

“We’d like to place on record that as a club, we are not in favour of this utterly baffling ruling, we believe it is wholly unnecessary and we are having to put in place these restrictions under duress.”

Other National League clubs had been desperately trying to amend player contracts on Tuesday to avoid them triggering season-long payments.

Chorley FC chief executive Terry Robinson said: “The last thing we want to do is not enter the FA Cup but we have to be careful about the future of the club.”

Some teams were planning to play come what may, with Fylde saying their player contracts had already been triggered because the club was professional.

Bradford Park Avenue director of football Martin Knight said his side had already made amendments to those contracts.

“My contracts won’t commit me to the full season if we kick the ball once,” he said.

“I think a lot of the other clubs in our league have that problem, because they didn’t make any amends to their player contracts.”
YTT

Post by YTT »

Thanks for posting I couldn’t access the article.

Devil in the detail then if the £20m quoted is the figure that comes to fruition, how it is accessed and distributed, amongst clubs?

I get public interest point for justifying a grant and as a football fan I want to see the season start and clubs prevail from this mess. But I can already see some of the reactions to this from taxpayers/other sectors and those that say it’s of the games own making that it’s not sustainable and longer term viability.

Anyway fingers crossed and let’s see what tomorrow brings....something I seem to say daily in the current climate.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

I hope the national league gets its member clubs something more tangible than some promised money!
puskas

Post by puskas »

According to Twitter, James is on Newsnight at 11-15pm. . . I presume BBC2
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Great to see James on Newsnight. Emily Maitlis poorly informed, missed point.
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Agree SSE. Two things in her narrative really annoyed me. Firstly, the idea that clubs below the Premiership didn’t have 8ncome from sponsorship and all there money came from gate receipts. Having said that, not sure how our current sponsorships are affected if there are no fans to see the related advertising.
Secondly, the suggestion that a lot of these clubs would be going to the wall even without the Covid-19 factor so we shouldn’t waste money protecting jobs just for the sake of it. Yes, there are some clubs badly run that subsequently fail but they are the exception.

Poor research by whoever wrote her script.

The only reason Southport needs assistance is the Government’s decision not to allow fans in at our level. I want to emphasise I not saying whether that decision is right or wrong but it is the cause of our problem.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:31 am Great to see James on Newsnight. Emily Maitlis poorly informed, missed point.
Pat Nevin also came across poorly. James I thought did a very good job.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

Just read on twitter that Wealdstone's home game against Chesterfield on Saturday. Wealdstone fans can gather in the clubhouse at the stadium to watch the game on TV where there is more chance of transmission, while the game is being played on the pitch outside. The windows must be blacked out and curtains closed. I'm still struggling to get my head around this at all. Does not seem logical whatsoever.
YELLOWTAXI

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Port will be doing the same for all our home and away matches too, according to James excellent YouTube update yesterday.
Crazy that you can not enter ground but can enter crowded bar. Well done Boris!🙈😳😷
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

The most important part was the very beginning, where James stated his belief that a support package was on its way, either through a payment or a government committment to underwriting any losses incurred.

Not getting ahead of ourselves until the money is in the bank but it would solve two problems; the financial state of the club and also the naming of the fanzone, The Damien Moore MP Bar :idea:
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Re reference to a crowded bar:

Requirement to social distance and to be seated (with table service) should severely reduce the number of people allowed in.

Also, under our current restrictions you should only be sat with members of your own household/bubble.

Wouldn’t expect to be anything like a normal match day. Having said that would probably utilise the hospitality areas that fans don’t normally get to use before the match so that could boost numbers.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

Port on the Kent wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 pm The most important part was the very beginning, where James stated his belief that a support package was on its way, either through a payment or a government committment to underwriting any losses incurred.

Not getting ahead of ourselves until the money is in the bank but it would solve two problems; the financial state of the club and also the naming of the fanzone, The Damien Moore MP Bar :idea:
I still want the 1881 bar being called "Bary McBarface" tbh. Social distancing is going to be interesting in there when the season starts for sure. Obviously, table service has to be operated once the season starts which will be interesting to see. They only have large circle tables which again I'm sure makes another headache. Feel bad for James, the volunteers, and the other staff who will have to do all their hard wasted work on sorting the ground out in making sure the bar is ready for a match screening.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Port on the Kent wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 pm , The Damien Moore MP Bar :idea:
Heavily subsidised food and drink and not subject to restrictions as quickly as everywhere else?
Sounds great, apart from the name.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Daily Mail reports that National League/N/S is to get govt cash support, £20m.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... clubs.html

As POTK said, wait til the money's in the bank, but this is possibly season on as opposed to season over.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

I knew I shouldn't have scrolled down to read the comments in response to the article.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:31 pm
I knew I shouldn't have scrolled down to read the comments in response to the article.
never a good idea
YTT

Post by YTT »

The lack of detail around what the deal is and how it will be calculated and distributed we should find astounding but its in-keeping with what we've come to expect.

Have to spare a thought in all this for Ian Kyle as majority shareholder he, like many football club owners, faces some difficult decisions over the coming days and weeks.

Matchday revenue how will it exactly be calculated, is it gate receipts only, or how far does other matchday income stretch? How understanding will sponsors be and is this provisioned for in agreements etc. The list goes on as no corporate hospitality, reduced bar takings and functions etc.

Interesting that Chester have announced 5 signings on the back of the news but all on Non-Contract terms and lots of de-risking and cost reductions will still need to happen.

I think the reaction in The Mail article is to be expected from some quarters as it has created a division within the football pyramid and the so called football family. The EFL still don't know what if any support they are receiving and the National League looks like starting with 23 teams despite a constitution of 24 post Macclesfield's suspension.

Sure there will be more twists and turns but for now looking forward to a live stream on Saturday.