So. What happens next?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
David_1276

Re: So. What happens next?

Post by David_1276 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:31 pm
I knew I shouldn't have scrolled down to read the comments in response to the article.
At least we can rest assured that none of those people have more than a single brain cell to share between them. I read one saying 'Why should we have to fund these players' super wages?' Really did their research for that one.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

Just read this off twitter from BBC presenter and commentator Ollie Bayliss:

"I understand the Government’s National League funding is likely to be around £3 million a month."
"Funding will be available over the next 6 months should clubs not be allowed fans."
"The details of how the grants will be split between each league & club hasn’t yet been confirmed."

Even if it’s split evenly between the 70 national league clubs it’s just under 43k. Dover Chairman says running costs are around 80k a month for them. Don't think the port will start with that much money. £43k is nothing.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

It’s better than nothing. I doubt they’ll pay on an average for the division, but we are probably effectively in the middle anyway.
Added to 200+ members/Season ticket holders paying regularly or in advance, plus payment for screening plus sponsorship (albeit reduced), some bar money..
with a bit of belt-tightening we should get through. FA and NL could help reduce costs by scrapping 4th officials, reducing the number of subs, scrapping county cups etc. Games could also all be played in natural light to reduce electricity bills. Midweek games in afternoon, kickoffs in mid-winter 2.15 as before floodlights
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

65 teams so if it’s £3m per month for 6 months that’s £46 k per team per month, but I think it will have to be be based on a certified budget , so you may find that although it’s commensurate, it’s adequate given it’s guaranteed and will be in addition to any other revenues we can generate from rent from Everton, cup earnings, sales , sponsorships etc etc . As I have previously suggested we are better off with this settlement (as an elite club) than being allowed only small capped attendances . Yes I agree if we are allowed to be flexible with some kick off arrangements e. g Saturday and bin off minor cups then this will help with our running costs. I think we will survive this unlike some less well run clubs unfortunately for them.
And of course our fans avoid the risk of multiple attended events and contracting COVID.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:42 pm It’s better than nothing. I doubt they’ll pay on an average for the division, but we are probably effectively in the middle anyway.
Added to 200+ members/Season ticket holders paying regularly or in advance, plus payment for screening plus sponsorship (albeit reduced), some bar money..
with a bit of belt-tightening we should get through. FA and NL could help reduce costs by scrapping 4th officials, reducing the number of subs, scrapping county cups etc. Games could also all be played in natural light to reduce electricity bills. Midweek games in afternoon, kickoffs in mid-winter 2.15 as before floodlights
Agree overall but Midweek games in afternoon no good for people working to watch on tv though....
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Playing games during the day Monday to Friday would destroy any income to be made from streaming. Besides, in a part-time league a lot of players may struggle to get the whole day off to travel and play.

With the government grant, a decent streaming service, a lot of generosity and a little imagination we might be alright.

It's a ridiculous situation but if there's interest could we look at increasing the number of people that can watch the live stream within the ground? Large outdoor screen(s) behind the Jack Carr stand perhaps?
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Ben Godfrey sold to Everton for £20m + from Norwich nets York City a 10% sell on clause , no wonder they double dealt and welched on the rest of the Conference 😡, they must have got wind of a likely pending sale - Lucky so and so’s
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm It's a ridiculous situation but if there's interest could we look at increasing the number of people that can watch the live stream within the ground? Large outdoor screen(s) behind the Jack Carr stand perhaps?
Would still be in breach of the rules. The fact people can go to the Grandstand Bar will be because it is a licensed premices. It is mad though.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pm
Ste_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm It's a ridiculous situation but if there's interest could we look at increasing the number of people that can watch the live stream within the ground? Large outdoor screen(s) behind the Jack Carr stand perhaps?
Would still be in breach of the rules. The fact people can go to the Grandstand Bar will be because it is a licensed premices. It is mad though.
What are the rules re: licensing? We sell alcohol inside the ground so how would this be different?
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 pm
What are the rules re: licensing? We sell alcohol inside the ground so how would this be different?
We can't admit people into the ground.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:31 pm

Not even if we do it in a very specific and limited way?
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

I was thinking the club could erect the marquee again...technically if they screened off the route to it from the pitch and didn’t use turnstiles it wouldn’t be entering the ground
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:39 pm I was thinking the club could erect the marquee again...technically if they screened off the route to it from the pitch and didn’t use turnstiles it wouldn’t be entering the ground
Possibly but with the latest local restrictions meaning you can't meet anyone from another household indoors then capacity may be so limited as to be unviable.
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

How about if you're not sure about going to the Bar to watch the game you watch the stream at home and make a donation to the Club in any way you choose (Buy some Merch or Donate to the Floodlight thing for example) with the money you may have spent to get to the Ground and in the Ground itself.

Petrol money, Train Fare, Few Beers, a Programme, Food, Merchandise - Soon adds up.

Up the Port!!!
YTT

Post by YTT »

Q&A with the Directors at 1pm live streamed i understand so lets see what light they can shed in terms of funding position and their views and intentions. Tune in.
yellowrebel

Post by yellowrebel »

Sand74 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 am How about if you're not sure about going to the Bar to watch the game you watch the stream at home and make a donation to the Club in any way you choose (Buy some Merch or Donate to the Floodlight thing for example) with the money you may have spent to get to the Ground and in the Ground itself.

Petrol money, Train Fare, Few Beers, a Programme, Food, Merchandise - Soon adds up.

Up the Port!!!
Good call 👍
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ste_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:45 pm

We can't show home games in the bar, but we can stream away fixtures. I give up.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Essentially the govt has agreed to compensate clubs for not having fans in the ground ( whether it’s enough is arguable). For now I think we have to accept that is the situation and trying to find ways of having fans in the club watching the game on live streams / TVs etc is not going to be appropriate. Don’t forget some clubs have different facilities to us and would try and have many more fans in bars watching games. For now, I think we’d be best accepting the position, being happy to get the streaming at home if we can/ want and wait and see. I personally suspect there may be an improvement in the whole situation before Xmas but in the meantime maybe it’s a measure of the depth of our support if we can stick with what’s on offer and be thankful and hopeful!!!
Swedes

Post by Swedes »

Sand74 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 am How about if you're not sure about going to the Bar to watch the game you watch the stream at home and make a donation to the Club in any way you choose (Buy some Merch or Donate to the Floodlight thing for example) with the money you may have spent to get to the Ground and in the Ground itself.

Up the Port!!!
If they can arrange for delivery of a few bottles of Grandstand Gold I'll pay matchday prices for each bottle and postage too. Seriously.

I draw the line at paying for boiled medium rare burgers to be delivered though.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:21 pm
Ste_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:45 pm
We can't show home games in the bar, but we can stream away fixtures. I give up.
Yet Warrington Rylands v York is going ahead with spectators tomorrow despite additional lockdown rules coming into force after midnight tonight.