Sand74

Update from James Tedford 24/09/20

Post by Sand74 »

I think this can best be described as Sobering

https://southportfc.net/update-james-tedford-2/
Kenickie

Re: Update from James Tedford 24/09/20

Post by Kenickie »

Sand74 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:58 am I think this can best be described as Sobering

https://southportfc.net/update-james-tedford-2/
Indeed. As ever it was a clear and honest summary of the situation.

The offer of free streaming of matches - whilst not what anyone really wants - is particularly welcome. For me that's more than enough to prevent me from seeking, or expecting, any sort of refund on my season ticket. Though being honest I was prepared to forego that cost this year in any case so I didn't need a lot of convincing... Others may well feel differently.
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

Regardless of what happens this season, I will continue to pay my monthly membership, and I hope that others will do the same.
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

I know Money is tight but anyone who asks for their season ticket money back wants to give their head a wobble.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

I find James really impressive. I think it’s already been said on another thread but keeping hold of him is imperative.

I particularly enjoyed his swipe at paid staff in the recent years not being as effective as the volunteers. Haha.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Sand74 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 am I know Money is tight but anyone who asks for their season ticket money back wants to give their head a wobble.
Agreed... But sadly I stopped being surprised at the sort of things other people do a long time ago so I will be amazed if some don't ask for a refund
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

Echo what has largely been said, thank god we have James Tedford on board. He's proven to be highly competent and I have full faith that he, and the team around him, are the right people to navigate us through these choppy waters. More than happy to hear a possible streaming service will be made available, for me it's an opportunity to watch more matches that I'd otherwise struggle to do under normal circumstances... and give back to the club.
bnek

Post by bnek »

Can I just say that communication from the club has been excellent.

James, Rob, Ian, Alan and all the other contributers a big thankyou and we're all behind you.

UP THE PORT.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

This is excellent communication from the club. Very impressed that they are telling us what the situation is so quickly rather than let people speculate. Well done to all concerned !
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Agree with what has been said,we cannot ask for refunds or club will fail. Thanks James for club news something we have not had in past. The club appears to be in good hands during very unusual times.
yellosoul

Post by yellosoul »

Excellent, realistic and informative updates from James

I'm not quite as fearful as some about the long-term prospects for the club. The move back to part time and (presumably) realistic wages last season (should) mean that players are not wholly reliant on SFC as their only source of income. And the shedding of non-playing paid employees was sensible in any environment. Streaming of games is a must, however little income it produces and hopefully the digital programme will be produced to enhance our match day experience. I might even indulge in a cold pie and dishwater like coffee for that added bit of realism.

FA Cup games take on even more significance this year with (albeit reduced) prize money up for grabs at each stage and the prospect of TV coverage and sponsorship as we progress through the rounds. 2nd qualifying round draw on Friday I believe.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

if the blanket ban on crowds comes into force, it's difficult to see how the FA Cup can proceed (I note qualifiers have been played all this week).
How can you have round three proper if the qualifiers and first and second rounds haven't taken place due to the enforced absence of clubs at our level?
Clubs surely can't have their league programmes wiped out and then be expected to participate in a nationwide cup competition every two/three weeks?
OLD GOLD

Post by OLD GOLD »

I won't be asking for a refund ,we must stick by the club, otherwise there won't be one for future generations :?
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Great to get a clear update, too many clubs are raising their own agenda, so good to see the league are talking as a group.
The potential losses are worrying.
I still think we will get crowds back at some stage of the season, but that relies on the country pulling together and reducing covid rates.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

tonyhey wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 am Regardless of what happens this season, I will continue to pay my monthly membership, and I hope that others will do the same.
Well said , yes I will doing likewise, along with many other supporters It appears (which is great news) . However, I have great sympathy with good and loyal supporters facing possible financial hardship, who would wish to do likewise, but simply not be able to afford to and may have stark financial choices to pay bills.
David999

Post by David999 »

Add my name to those continuing to pay membership( or not wanting season ticket money back ) . Agree James Is a real worker for this club - great how he praised the volunteers too at the expense of some former , waste of money employees !
Let’s hope financial support is forthcoming or we are allowed fans in pronto but if needs be live streaming will be most welcome in the interim - this is a great club and we all do right to support it in whatever way we can / come on the yellows
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

It’s important that the football authorities keep pressure on the Government to reverse or modify its policy on stadia at our level. U turns are not unknown at present...
Maybe Southport’s MP should be involved? Though I’ve been told that he lives in Chorley and has little interest in the town.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:20 pm
Maybe Southport’s MP should be involved? Though I’ve been told that he lives in Chorley and has little interest in the town.
Regardless of wherever he lives he's a backbench MP who just does what he's told by his lords and masters (and I don't mean voters).
He's currently complaining about cycle lanes resulting in lost pay and display income despite spending the last few years campaigning for free parking.
port4ever

Post by port4ever »

I purchased a membership to help the club out financially, due to me living in Spain it was unlikely that l would have attended more than a couple of games. Now by an unfortunate quirk of fate, I may be watching all home game via streaming, assuming that it goes ahead.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Sand74 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 am I know Money is tight but anyone who asks for their season ticket money back wants to give their head a wobble.
I feel that is a tad harsh. Some may have been expecting a normal working winter have just been plunged back into uncertainty and hope they will be topped up not chucked out of employment. Everyone's circumstances are unique and I applaud those who are doing what they can to chip in and hold no grudge against those who need to tighten their belts.