Update from James Tedford 24/09/20

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
puskas

Re: Update from James Tedford 24/09/20

Post by puskas »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:54 pm
Sand74 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 am I know Money is tight but anyone who asks for their season ticket money back wants to give their head a wobble.
I feel that is a tad harsh. Some may have been expecting a normal working winter have just been plunged back into uncertainty and hope they will be topped up not chucked out of employment. Everyone's circumstances are unique and I applaud those who are doing what they can to chip in and hold no grudge against those who need to tighten their belts.
As I have said in another post, I think it was a request rather than an appeal and reading this forum I conclude that most won't be asking for money back.

I can fully understand a few strugglers that will need the money, if you are skint other household members will press you to ask for it back, a couple of hundred quid can feed a family for 2 or 3 weeks or at least be the difference between starving and not. I don't think anybody begrudges that and I would surprised if the club do.

The streaming is a great idea and is important because it will stop people drifting away and losing interest in the club. It would be really good if other clubs could join and form a group that would cover each others away games too. I hate the Tory party but "We are all in this together".
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

:lol:
Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:20 pm It’s important that the football authorities keep pressure on the Government to reverse or modify its policy on stadia at our level. U turns are not unknown at present...
Maybe Southport’s MP should be involved? Though I’ve been told that he lives in Chorley and has little interest in the town.
[/quote

:lol: :roll: :lol: There’s more chance of COVID disappearing overnight. They don’t call him Damien Less for nothing.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Agree with many others on here that James’s updates are very, good, clear and open. Perhaps he should be our next prime minister....
Good communication makes a big difference, so thanks James (& rob).
It’s easy to forget that as our only full time employee he’s probably worried from a personal perspective too as well as for the club but isn’t letting that show..
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

this from the Guardian

'However the National League, which has warned that its season was under threat, was more bullish – saying that it hoped to announce a “critical financial support package very soon” which would enable it to start playing again on 3 October.'
Met him on a Monday

Post by Met him on a Monday »

Really feel for James , he's done a lot to create a safe environment for getting fans back . The Government announcement must feel like a personal kicking. Compassionate and great piece of communication . I don't get to see many games but like a few here my membership is my way of putting funds into the club and won't be looking for a refund.
Port Yellow

Post by Port Yellow »

Really good update from James, and pleased the club is being run so professionally during what is an incredibly difficult time.

The National League urgently needs a support package and to get the season underway. We can’t have a situation where leagues above and below steps 1 and 2 are playing their seasons whilst the National League season is in limbo. It won’t work.

I hope those who can afford to support the club continue to do so.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

James is clearly a worried man but as always was clear and informative. As has already been said on here; notably by Exile, everyone's circumstances are different and indeed, there will almost certainly be a few who will struggle more than they might do in "normal times" (financially). I am proud to pay my monthly membership to the club and my e-programme supplement. Personally, I would seriously consider finding a little extra too. Trust me, as a full time minimum pay support worker, I am anything but "rolling in it"; but I have supported this club for most of the last 57 years and I will do whatever I can to help keep the old lady afloat through this crisis.

We must, though, also keep in mind that Covid is spreading fast within our community. It represents a real threat to all of us. I lost one of my best friends to it, a man with whom some at the club will be familiar (The wonderful Dave Hunter) with whom I used to cobble together security cameras, sound systems (we spent several "happy hours" in the roof space of the Grandstand bar sorting out video and sound cables) live music events and of course, Community Radio (SCR) with which we did two month long broadcasts from a base in the now defunct portacabin by the club shop. I can also recall a young and very enthusiastic young man who is presently very much involved in keeping this lovely forum of ours going spending a lot of time with us too.

We will overcome and remember, Port is for life :-)
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:54 pm
Sand74 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 am I know Money is tight but anyone who asks for their season ticket money back wants to give their head a wobble.
I feel that is a tad harsh. Some may have been expecting a normal working winter have just been plunged back into uncertainty and hope they will be topped up not chucked out of employment. Everyone's circumstances are unique and I applaud those who are doing what they can to chip in and hold no grudge against those who need to tighten their belts.
Agreed. I didn't mean to appear as callous as that sounded. I know only too well a lot of people are struggling at the moment.

I should have qualified it further to those that can afford it. Apologies.
YTT

Post by YTT »

informative interview. So £60-£120k shortfall (blackhole) and not sure where the "may need to sell the club has come from?"

Other than James how many more paid/contracted non-playing staff do we have these days? Assume any bar James have been Furloughed?

Not sure about how what Rishi announced yesterday but seems like 22% contribution is the headline.

Again, not sure what the position is with our three man board of Ian, Liam and Steve being able to invest or cover any shortfalls that i think would have historically have been the clubs contingency?

Hopefully between now and early next week we will know more in terms of any additional support from the government and/or football authorities. My view changes hourly in terms of pros and cons of starting the season or not. What doesn't change is i can't see us having supporters in the ground to the required financial level until next year and by then.....who knows!
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

Selling is a rumor I heard, because I don't really think Ian expected to take the reigns so swiftly, and with everything between Huddersfield and Phil we hadn't the time to find an external investor. I know we certainly aren't the most financially secure club in the league and as YTT said, who from the board would want to put £60-120k into the club with no guaranteed return?
YTT

Post by YTT »

Can't see there being any interest in investing or buying the club for the foreseeable future. Now more than ever football is a philanthropic investment and bar the odd PR stunt with Hollywood stars you won't be seeing money coming into the game at lower league levels.

If the worst happens over the next 6-9 months and football has the reset that some people refer to then i can see the scaling back leading to more supporter/co-op type ownership model emerging.

Wish the board all the best and fingers crossed for a lottery win for an SFC fan.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Even if crowds are let back in, the tone of the interview is that the club couldn't survive on 450 fans coming through the door. What average attendance is being expected? I couldn't see more than 500 average regardless of what the maximum capacity was allowed to be. In that case, a financial support package is needed regardless of the decision on fans.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

YTT wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:03 pm Can't see there being any interest in investing or buying the club for the foreseeable future. Now more than ever football is a philanthropic investment and bar the odd PR stunt with Hollywood stars you won't be seeing money coming into the game at lower league levels.

If the worst happens over the next 6-9 months and football has the reset that some people refer to then i can see the scaling back leading to more supporter/co-op type ownership model emerging.

Wish the board all the best and fingers crossed for a lottery win for an SFC fan.
I agree - I really can't see where any potential investor might come from at this time. The only person is going to be someone who is a fan of SFC, has a lot of disposable cash and is happy to see any investment being written off as a pit prop in dark times.

The idea of a financial package from the FA / Government is something which is being talked about, but unless I have missed something, which may well be the case, is this actually likely to happen, or is it even being discussed and planned. I ask the question openly as I have not seen anything to indicate this is likely to happen?
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

As a footnote, I have not done the lottery for years but I have bought a couple of tickets for tonight. :)
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

CFORD-SIX wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:18 am As a footnote, I have not done the lottery for years but I have bought a couple of tickets for tonight. :)
The dream is still alive, I won a free go in the Wednesday draw!! :)