What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
badger
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:31 pm

What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by badger »

This Government Is Dishing out money they do not have to keep one man band rule breaking Wine Bars and Pubs going , so I ask where is the money to keep our football clubs going. :x
Redrobe fan
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Redrobe fan »

Why not ask him?

(He’s not my MP)
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Vote Moore, get less.
Exiled Port Fan
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

badger wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am This Government Is Dishing out money they do not have to keep one man band rule breaking Wine Bars and Pubs going , so I ask where is the money to keep our football clubs going. :x
It isn't just football, it is all sport. Table Tennis England are campaigning for more support to sports centres, many of which have kept sports halls and other facilities closed (or re-closed them this week), preventing many table tennis clubs from running. If I was still a member of Badminton England I am sure I would be getting similar e-mails. I'm sure those of us with associations with other sports bodies, particularly those who rely on indoor facilities, have had similar contact. For football clubs to get a bail out, they would need to start sorting out money for huge range of governing bodies, Rugby forecasts a £60m loss if there is no fans in the 6 Nations, the ECB lost £100m this summer (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54284735). Sport isn't alone in this, and despite a summer bailout, the Arts Industry is still crying out for more money.

Then, there is a perception amongst a section of society that footballers are paid too much and it is a wasteful sport. That section of society would probably baulk at the idea of taxpayer money being spent on giving money to football (because for many, there is no distinction between community clubs and lower league sides and the Premiership filled with crazy money (something like £300m on Premier League transfers this summer).

Is it really a huge shock that the Government aren't funding Football clubs at any level?
mark thomas
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:11 am

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by mark thomas »

Havant's Tory MP Alan Mak - a VP at Havant&Wville - has been pushing his club's - and our - case in Parliament.
If Moore lives in Chorley, he's got double the reason to pipe up.
badger
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by badger »

Redrobe fan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:01 pm Why not ask him?

(He’s not my MP)
Just sent him a E Mail telling about my post' on Port Chat and just what Is he doing for our Football Club. :o
Brianm
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Brianm »

I have also sent an email to Damien Moore, but as he is not my MP I do not expect a worthwhile response from him. I have also emailed my own MP, Christian Wakeford, telling him of our plight but referring more generally to the National League as a whole. I feel that the more pressure that is put on MPs generally, the more likelihood of some support from Government.
Formula Port
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Formula Port »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:01 pm
badger wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am This Government Is Dishing out money they do not have to keep one man band rule breaking Wine Bars and Pubs going , so I ask where is the money to keep our football clubs going. :x
It isn't just football, it is all sport. Table Tennis England are campaigning for more support to sports centres, many of which have kept sports halls and other facilities closed (or re-closed them this week), preventing many table tennis clubs from running. If I was still a member of Badminton England I am sure I would be getting similar e-mails. I'm sure those of us with associations with other sports bodies, particularly those who rely on indoor facilities, have had similar contact. For football clubs to get a bail out, they would need to start sorting out money for huge range of governing bodies, Rugby forecasts a £60m loss if there is no fans in the 6 Nations, the ECB lost £100m this summer (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54284735). Sport isn't alone in this, and despite a summer bailout, the Arts Industry is still crying out for more money.

Then, there is a perception amongst a section of society that footballers are paid too much and it is a wasteful sport. That section of society would probably baulk at the idea of taxpayer money being spent on giving money to football (because for many, there is no distinction between community clubs and lower league sides and the Premiership filled with crazy money (something like £300m on Premier League transfers this summer).

Is it really a huge shock that the Government aren't funding Football clubs at any level?
All the more reason to let fans back in and put this nonsense behind us. We will have nothing to ‘survive’ for at this rate.
cobby7
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by cobby7 »

Thousands are allowed in supermarkets etc with masks so why not minor league football matches?
Hillsider
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:24 am

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Hillsider »

There were two questions at Wednesday’s PMQs about lower league football.
Exiled Port Fan
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

cobby7 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:08 pm Thousands are allowed in supermarkets etc with masks so why not minor league football matches?
Aside from the need for food, the 1000 people all don't walk down 1 road after attending Tesco's....
cobby7
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by cobby7 »

What’s wrong with walking down a road with a mask on?
And if the attendance is limited it won’t be anyway near a thousand.
Bobby
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Bobby »

It’s looking more likely that a support package will be forthcoming from the government. Whether it will be enough, time will tell. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to what are TIY doing to help? Now is truly the time to Save Southport Football Club but there are no scarves in sight.
hoofball
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by hoofball »

Bobby wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 pm It’s looking more likely that a support package will be forthcoming from the government. Whether it will be enough, time will tell. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to what are TIY doing to help? Now is truly the time to Save Southport Football Club but there are no scarves in sight.
The trust are building there amazing fan zone thats what they are doing to help (what a joke)
Sam
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Sam »

hoofball wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:50 pm
Bobby wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 pm It’s looking more likely that a support package will be forthcoming from the government. Whether it will be enough, time will tell. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to what are TIY doing to help? Now is truly the time to Save Southport Football Club but there are no scarves in sight.
The trust are building there amazing fan zone thats what they are doing to help (what a joke)
What's wrong with that?

It's only until very recently that plans to get supporters back into grounds changed. Having improved facilities for supporters to use is a draw for a start.

Plus it's also another event/function space for the club to use in order to continue growing non match day revenue which I'm sure you'd agree is something the club should be doing right now.

A diversified revenue stream is what will help save the club.
Exiled Port Fan
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Given this is a Governmental/FA based problem, which the club are (based on the communications they put out) doing everything they can with the cards they have been dealt; I'm not sure what you would expect TiY to do?
TrickyDicky
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by TrickyDicky »

Sam wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:33 pm
hoofball wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:50 pm
Bobby wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 pm It’s looking more likely that a support package will be forthcoming from the government. Whether it will be enough, time will tell. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to what are TIY doing to help? Now is truly the time to Save Southport Football Club but there are no scarves in sight.
The trust are building there amazing fan zone thats what they are doing to help (what a joke)
What's wrong with that?

It's only until very recently that plans to get supporters back into grounds changed. Having improved facilities for supporters to use is a draw for a start.

Plus it's also another event/function space for the club to use in order to continue growing non match day revenue which I'm sure you'd agree is something the club should be doing right now.

A diversified revenue stream is what will help save the club.
I agree , the Pod and area will be very impressive and well used , it’s just having a cheap shot at TIY who have the club’s best interest at heart. It’s a bit like having a pop at the orchestra on the titanic for not taking requests , using the situation to bring out personal gripes whatever just Irrelevant and sad comments really Given the gravity of the situation.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

We could ask our Tory mp to officially open it while he drops off the 20 million quid for national league clubs.
badger
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Re: What Is Southport Conservative MP Doing About This Issue ?

Post by badger »

Liamisdoingagreatjob wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 pm We could ask our Tory mp to officially open it while he drops off the 20 million quid for national league clubs.
I have had a reply from our MP Damien Moore who is asking one of his case worker to contact me . I have replied asking him to contact Southport FC himself directly and discuss the matter of funding . In my view this should have all been sorted out weeks ago. :!: The more pressure on them the better. ;)
Post Reply