FT: Southport 2-1 Morpeth Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE

Re: FT: Southport 2-1 Morpeth Match Thread

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I’m sure Jon has his reasons, though no idea what they are.
Do we know how many people watched yesterday?
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Not sure how you would measure that. I managed to login on my iPad using the password but all I got was a circle going round and round as it tried to connect. I presume I would just be seen as someone who logged in despite my inability to see anything.
I would be interested how many people tried but failed but that would be impossible to measure without a poll.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Firstly, well done to those who got the live streaming system up and running - great effort and well done.

One tip for those with patchy service, in the end I connected an ethernet cable direct from my router box to the laptop rather than use Wi-Fi. That seemed to give a slightly stronger received signal and I was able to watch the game OK.

Onto the game. I thought it was quite entertaining given the awful conditions it was played in. I thought we were all at sea at the back in the first half especially defending the wings. The move which led to the penalty showed hesitancy and poor positioning and I think we would have lost had the penalty been converted. I like the more attack minded formation and we have forwards who really move around and make space and gaps in the opposition back line and also attack the 6 yard box when there is a sniff of a chance - something we have lacked when I have watched us the last few seasons.

Man of the match for me was Mo Ali - solid at the back and great distribution when the opposition attacks broke down. I thought Challinor had a good second half, but a real stinker of a first half.

I will be really interested to find out what income the live streaming generated at the end of the day.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I had more or less perfect picture on my laptop. Sound was variable, but I loved hearing shouts of people in the stand, tannoy announcements etc - just like the real thing and infinitely better than Premier League soundtracks. Great effort all round.
yellowrebel

Post by yellowrebel »

Sgreen1234 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 pm Not being funny but where’s Mike Hunt?
I may be mistaken but I thought I saw him at Broadhurst Park last week.
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Reading the various comments it seems users of laptops had a better experience, users of iPads less so. There have been a couple of suggestions aboot possible solutions although one, JavaScript, didn’t work for a friend of mine. I hope there will be some improvements made before Hereford, I will just have to wait and see.
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Sorry, I should have made clear I am not criticising the club, sounds like they have done a brilliant job in the circumstances, rather I am hoping there is something that can be done to help others like me that we’re having difficulty.
cavjj

Post by cavjj »

Redrobe wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:09 am Reading the various comments it seems users of laptops had a better experience, users of iPads less so. There have been a couple of suggestions aboot possible solutions although one, JavaScript, didn’t work for a friend of mine. I hope there will be some improvements made before Hereford, I will just have to wait and see.
While I'm sure the club will do everything they can, we need to have realistic expectations.

The streaming platform is provided by a third-party provider. If older versions of Android, or certain phones aren't supported, there isn't really much the club will be able to do about it, and that really isn't their fault.

Same applies to older devices, I'd argue it's the responsibility of the service to support as many devices as possible.

The club doesn't have a lot of choice of platforms they can use here. Anyone can cobble a stream together on YouTube or Twitch, but there needs to be payment gateway as well.

If you really struggled yesterday, contact Rob U, but really (and unfortunately) "watch on a better device" is going to be the correct answer.
Met him on a Monday

Post by Met him on a Monday »

Had the same experience as Redrobe entered my pass code only to see a circle trying to load up. Have Javascript etc. My Dad , 200 miles away has the same laptop was able to log in as he had paid. So was the issue with a number of pass codes ? Did anyone who paid not successfully log in? I know I cut and pasted the code from the email could this be a reason?
Like Redrobe no criticism of the club for doing this out short notice and sounds its an excellence quality, teething problems will happen. Agree some poll as to whether the issues where common between paid subscribers and pass holders would be helpful to rectify problems. Having been on Zoom all week its certainly not my Wi Fi connection.
Dicko's Gloves

Post by Dicko's Gloves »

Live stream ran perfectly for me on a few year old laptop, excellent commentary and after the Melbourne Storm also won it was a super Saturday.
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Ca just, is an Apple iPad considered archaic? Not being funny, just that I am not at all knowledgeable about technology. I am just a simple user, my teenage niece had to get me set up when I bought it.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Redrobe wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:38 am Ca just, is an Apple iPad considered archaic? Not being funny, just that I am not at all knowledgeable about technology. I am just a simple user, my teenage niece had to get me set up when I bought it.
I could not get the stream to work on my iPad and I had JavaScript enabled. I suspect some of the issues will be the quality of the Wi-Fi you are using and the demand and usage in your household from other devices. If you can, do as I did, and connect the device directly to your router box with cable - it might help but no guarantees.
cavjj

Post by cavjj »

Redrobe wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:38 am Ca just, is an Apple iPad considered archaic? Not being funny, just that I am not at all knowledgeable about technology. I am just a simple user, my teenage niece had to get me set up when I bought it.
Not at all, and you would expect that the platform should easily be able to support iPad, but plenty of people on here have reported issues watching on iPad. What I'm saying is I don't think that is an issue the club can fix.

If the club starts the stream again a little earlier on Tuesday, I will dig out all my old phones and tablets and help as much as I can in getting it working on as many devices as possible.

The club may have contacted the service themselves and got more clarification in the meantime I guess.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

Seems to be a lot of folk could not connect yesterday, which is a shame. I'm afraid it is down to your equipment, not the Club!
I was lucky and had a superb picture and very good sound on my several years old PC and I want to congratulate all concerned on a great service. For me as a Member everything worked excellently, so thank you SFC and especially the volunteers. I must say as well that the commentary was brilliant and far better than much I have heard in the past on local BBC radio stations. So again, thanks guys.
As for the game, very enjoyable, good second half performance once Liam had presumably given one or two the hair dryer talk at half time. I can just see the scenario playing out for us. This is our year to get to my dream Round 3 game at Old Trafford and, just our luck, no crowd so we don't get the half million pound gate money that we so richly deserve! I'll keep dreaming!!
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Cavjj (or Ca just per predictive text) I understand it is difficult for the club to do anything about this. I appreciate your responses. I will forever morecthink if you as James the Just.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

It might be an idea if there was some sort of free 'test stream' or video that people can try before they buy to see if their devices work.
Last edited by Ralphy Rylance on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phila9037

Post by Phila9037 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:28 am It might be an idea of there was some sort of free 'test stream' or video that people can try before they buy to see if their devices work.
That’s a great idea

Had a veryfrustrating time yesterday and just ended up listening to the audio as phone screen too small to watch on

Would be good to be set up and ready for Tuesday night
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Good summing up by Liam. I’m still counting our blessings today as we were very lucky to get through.
I think we’ll see Jack Doyle and Russell come into Tuesday’s starting line up and he may start George ahead of Niall . Hereford were a complete bunch of moaners and referee bullies last season so let’s hope we get a decent official on Tuesday. No love lost on Hereford from me.
Phila9037

Post by Phila9037 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:38 pm I didn’t know about squad numbers. Odd, if they don’t have names on.
Would be helpful if we knew what the numbers were. I hadn’t seen several of these players before.
From programme

01 Dan Hanford
02 Charlie Oliver
03 Jack Doyle
04 Russ Benjamin
05 Adam Anson
06 David Morgan
07 Connor Woods
08 Marcus Wood
09 Jack Sampson
10 George Newell
11 Marcus Carver
12 Matty Challoner
13 Tony McMillan
14 Mo Ali
15 Dean Winnard
16 Dylan Vassallo
17 Niall Watson
18 Jack Bainbridge
Jamies Dad

Post by Jamies Dad »

Well you pays your money ya takes ya chance!!

Abolulutely nothing video, ocassional commentary for ten seconds and then that infernal buffering signal on the picture of the Jack Carr stand.

Jist an observation - will continue to pay, even if I dont get the product, Im supporting the club - but it was a disappointing afternoon for me.