Go to the cinema!

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
PortDan1121

Go to the cinema!

Post by PortDan1121 »

Feel like this is all we talk about recently but here we are again.

Today Boris Johnson has started “encouraging” people to go to Cineworld (and indoor and enclosed space) in order to save their business. The absolute audacity of encouraging that but yet preventing non league football to have attendances is mad. This caused a bit of an out-cry on twitter from EFL clubs such as Exeter and Shrewsbury as well as non league clubs such as Telford and Dorking. All furious at the PMs comments.

As well as this, the O2 have announced their first event back with an attendance will go ahead in December with a capacity of 4,700 (approx 1/4 of the capacity).

This just all seems so bizarre and totally unfair. Especially as it would seem safer to go to an outdoor socially distanced event rather than an indoor even with more people. Seems absolutely ridiculous and goes against common sense. It feels like we are getting screwed out of the thing we all love doing, the thing we all work towards at the weekend, to have a pint while watching the Port on a Saturday.

Hopefully we get a decision changed soon, especially with the fact that event at the o2 in December is being allowed to go ahead. Fingers crossed anyway
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Re: Go to the cinema!

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

PortDan1121 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:22 pm Feel like this is all we talk about recently but here we are again.

Today Boris Johnson has started “encouraging” people to go to Cineworld (and indoor and enclosed space) in order to save their business. The absolute audacity of encouraging that but yet preventing non league football to have attendances is mad. This caused a bit of an out-cry on twitter from EFL clubs such as Exeter and Shrewsbury as well as non league clubs such as Telford and Dorking. All furious at the PMs comments.

As well as this, the O2 have announced their first event back with an attendance will go ahead in December with a capacity of 4,700 (approx 1/4 of the capacity).

This just all seems so bizarre and totally unfair. Especially as it would seem safer to go to an outdoor socially distanced event rather than an indoor even with more people. Seems absolutely ridiculous and goes against common sense. It feels like we are getting screwed out of the thing we all love doing, the thing we all work towards at the weekend, to have a pint while watching the Port on a Saturday.

Hopefully we get a decision changed soon, especially with the fact that event at the o2 in December is being allowed to go ahead. Fingers crossed anyway
Agree. I went to see Runcorn linnets v marine in the fa cup on Saturday. Excellently organised on the whole, with virtually everyone adhering to the rules throughout. I saw more covidiots in Tesco tonight than I did there (for example one bloke tonight walking around with his mask in hand, then put it on at the till)....
What struck me at that game was how much bigger our ground is and how we could easily accommodate many more than the 400 Runcorn were allowed.
It’s the inconsistency of rules that grates...not the need for some (and the hypocrisy of some mps, their advisers and their dads)...
mario

Post by mario »

Absolutely ludicrous, couldn't agree more, I went to the Ashton friendly and there were no problems at all. I don't know where Boris gets his logic from, or, should I say lack of it.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

mario wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:06 am Absolutely ludicrous, couldn't agree more, I went to the Ashton friendly and there were no problems at all. I don't know where Boris gets his logic from, or, should I say lack of it.
His dad i fear....
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

This whole farce needs somebody to sit down and carefully go through everything. Then come out with a properly thought out plan that is fair, common sense and safe.
What nobody needs is policy on the hoof at present politicians are making knee jerk reactions without thinking things through.
How can we open cinemas, RAH, Etc yet forbid people attending football,rugby and horse racing?
It doesn’t make sense and it’s not just in England look at the Scots and Welsh parliament actions!
Sgreen1234

Post by Sgreen1234 »

The petition to let fans in has reached 100000 so now has to be discussed by parliament
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

The annoying thing about it all, I would have thought at least one MP was aware of the non-league football issue and would have spoken up in parliament already. It shouldn't have took a petition. Ridiculous when you think about it. I guess if its not the premier league MPs are just not bothered. Joke.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

PortDan1121 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:52 am The annoying thing about it all, I would have thought at least one MP was aware of the non-league football issue and would have spoken up in parliament already. It shouldn't have took a petition. Ridiculous when you think about it. I guess if its not the premier league MPs are just not bothered. Joke.
I think one or two have, but they won't get airtime saying it.
PortDan1121

Post by PortDan1121 »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:30 am
I think one or two have, but they won't get airtime saying it.
Oh well, 145k people have signed the petition so it will have to be debated in parliament. Hopefully with a better outcome for us, the fans. Carlton Cole has it spot on here:

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/13 ... 6042920966
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Won't make any difference, government will just go down the line of we cannot open up anymore activities until the R rate is under control
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

Paulisi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:28 pm Won't make any difference, government will just go down the line of we cannot open up anymore activities until the R rate is under control
Look at what the Scots are doing in the central belt all rushed reactions no thought being used.
badger

Post by badger »

Paulisi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:28 pm Won't make any difference, government will just go down the line of we cannot open up anymore activities until the R rate is under control
The London Gin Bar people are crying in there soup They only care about them selves stuff us up North. :x
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

The epidemiological reality is that we need a total shutdown.
The problems arise when politicians intervene against best epidemiology to allow industry, commerce, education and entertainment to continue to some extent. They then have to continually modify their policies by the seat of their pants and inevitably anomalies arise, both geographically, temporally, and sector by sector.

The politicians know that the much of the population is too self interested, weak or stupid, or all three, to accept a full lockdown, so they try to keep everyone happy and inevitably they fail.

PS all the cinemas near me are closed until next Spring at least!
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Another total lockdown would be an economic disaster and I doubt it would get rid of the Covid problem, just kick it down the road to pop up again a few months later. You are retired, RF. Those who need to keep working to keep food on the table and a mortgaged roof over their head may take a different view.
Closer to home, the predicted Merseyside lockdown will presumably mean that the club bar won’t be able to open, yet another income shortfall.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

That’s the trouble, SSE, lots of people take a different view, but most know little or nothing about epidemiology and are concerned with their personal situation and or economics rather than controlling the disease.
You are right that the disease won’t go away - at least not until there is a vaccine or effective anti-virals and over 70% of people are prepared to be vaccinated. I am pessimistic about all of these.
Reducing environmental controls will just bring more disease and death, culling the sick and elderly.

It’s wartime. It calls for extreme measures - including far reaching social policies that support the lower income groups - mortgage freezes, eviction suppression, rent support, etc
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:22 am That’s the trouble, SSE, lots of people take a different view, but most know little or nothing about epidemiology and are concerned with their personal situation and or economics rather than controlling the disease.
You are right that the disease won’t go away - at least not until there is a vaccine or effective anti-virals and over 70% of people are prepared to be vaccinated. I am pessimistic about all of these.
Reducing environmental controls will just bring more disease and death, culling the sick and elderly.

It’s wartime. It calls for extreme measures - including far reaching social policies that support the lower income groups - mortgage freezes, eviction suppression, rent support, etc
In relation to the pandemic itself, I am much more aligned with SSE but I appreciate your argument. What I would ask for from people who share you views is consistency. Given you support a total lockdown, presumably you are also in favour of the abandonement of sporting fixtures? I don't just mean playing them behind closed doors, I mean scrapping competitive sport at all levels altogether? If you do support that then fair enough, at least you are consistent. My problem is with people who advocate strict measures for everybody/everything else, but believe their hobbies should be exempt for reasons that are "unique" but are usually imagined.
SfcFPA

Post by SfcFPA »

During the second world war the Football League decided to simplify the league system into two large, 34 club, divisions, one covering the North and one covering the South. With teams clearly unable to play each other both home and away in such huge divisions, and a 50 mile travel limit in place further constraining the arrangement of symmetrical fixtures, League positions were sorted by goal average and not points. It was thought that because of enemy action some matches might have to be postponed or abandoned and in response to this the results of any abandoned matches would still stand and count towards determining league position.
Whilst games are unlikely to be abandoned due to covid-19, there are likely to be a growing number of postponements. If this leads to a fixture backlog it may lead to some needing to be cancelled. Therefore, whilst goal average might not be the preferred method of determining league position, I would make a case for points per game to be brought in now on the basis that it would mean a fairer method of determining achievement if one team was hit harder than others.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Make no mistake, I ‘want’ football to continue.

However, what we ‘need’ is a total, and I mean absolutely total, lockdown all over the UK for two weeks. Exceptions only for utilities, food delivery and urgent medical and criminal emergencies. Then back to normal with environmental controls, with further severe lockdowns if found necessary.

While I’m pontificating, it is daft to have this devolved to the semi-autonomous regions. There should be a single National UK strategy, albeit with some differences in application at very local level as and when necessary.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm Make no mistake, I ‘want’ football to continue.

However, what we ‘need’ is a total, and I mean absolutely total, lockdown all over the UK for two weeks. Exceptions only for utilities, food delivery and urgent medical and criminal emergencies. Then back to normal with environmental controls, with further severe lockdowns if found necessary.

While I’m pontificating, it is daft to have this devolved to the semi-autonomous regions. There should be a single National UK strategy, albeit with some differences in application at very local level as and when necessary.
I'm afraid I don't agree about the regional lockdowns. I live in the southwest, where case numbers and infection rates have been consistently the lowest of any region in England. Why should we be forced into lockdown because people in other cities and regions can't follow the guidelines?
YTT

Post by YTT »

Interesting that even Port Chat demonstrates the polar views and opinions that exist around Covid strategy and decision making.

Economically, irrespective of what the experts say, another full lockdown i just can't see happening. The pre announcement leaks have been fairly accurate to date and so suspect come Monday regional lockdowns or enhanced restrictions will be in place in more of Northern England.

It would also seem like some additional financial support for those sectors impacted will be put in place. So hopefully the Bar at the club may qualify. Still no detail that i've seen regarding how the £10m is going to be distributed between the clubs and all in all i'm of the opinion that football without supporters isn't football and certainly not sustainable and let the debate regarding the structure and make up of the pyramid begin and the B teams inclusion rear it's head again from the fat cats.

Yes its protecting jobs of some but starting to see redundancies kick in as Furlough comes to an end (Our previous owner has shed over 100 jobs at his current club) but the decision to start the new season at levels below the Premier League was well intended but fraught with exactly the risks we are now seeing come to fruition.