Southport v Hereford

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Alan Spences Pupil

Southport v Hereford

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Likely postponement, looking at the pitch on the Highlights on Saturday the powers that be haven't addressed the problem of the Scarisbrick New Road end Penalty area, & its a long way for Hereford to travel....
Sam

Re: Southport v Hereford

Post by Sam »

The problem with that corner is that make up of the sub soil is completely different to every other part of the pitch. It's more boggy and not soil/sand like the rest of the pitch, which is why behind it KGV needed to do more substantial groundworks than expected for the sports hall. It's not something that'll ever be perfect.

It definitely looked wet on the highlights, but the ball didn't seem impaired too much nor was their giant puddles that we've had previously. The draining seems substantially better and with it clearing up after 4 it'll have plenty of time to drain away.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I recall reading (was it in ‘the book’?) that when the ground was being prepared for the very first time the sandy subsoil was excavated and a layer of clay was put down before the subsoil was reinstated. This would obviously affect drainage. I was surprised that this issue wasn’t mentioned at the time the major work was carried out, though I feel sure that the club knew about it and took it into account. I wonder if this clay layer continues to impede drainage?
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Worry is with the very heavy rain around Scarisbrick lot of flooding,just hope rain stops soon.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 am Likely postponement, looking at the pitch on the Highlights on Saturday the powers that be haven't addressed the problem of the Scarisbrick New Road end Penalty area, & its a long way for Hereford to travel....
The pitch has been addressed significantly, but we’re talking biblical rain on Saturday any other year that game would have been abandoned. Today walking the dogs was one of the wettest 2 hours I’ve ever seen in England. I don’t know if this game goes ahead tonight, but if it does that will hopefully end discussion on the merits of the revised drainage system. Everton under 23’s played on it on Sunday btw !
I’m going for 1-1 tonight if we play given what will be the heavy conditions and increased wind later today which make it a total lottery -hope I’m wrong and we win of course.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 am Likely postponement, looking at the pitch on the Highlights on Saturday the powers that be haven't addressed the problem of the Scarisbrick New Road end Penalty area, & its a long way for Hereford to travel....
The pitch never used to have this problem? The Scarisbrick end was always ok!
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Gloucester wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:36 pm
It started against Forest Green in the televised night game 🌧🌧🌧😂
Sam

Post by Sam »

I can remember us playing St Helens in a Liverpool senior cup tie years ago and Mike Marsh being clever enough to punt a long ball and use the puddles in that corner to slow it down when everyone else thought it was going out of play. That was nearly 20 years ago!
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Any news whether tonight’s match is called off?
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

Sam wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:08 pm
I can remember us playing St Helens in a Liverpool senior cup tie years ago and Mike Marsh being clever enough to punt a long ball and use the puddles in that corner to slow it down when everyone else thought it was going out of play. That was nearly 20 years ago!
Sam my regular homing viewing finished when o left the area in 1980/81 but up to then it was great.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Looks like prospects are good for tonight now, no waiting signs out on Haig Ave......drainage appears to have done its job... :D