Joining the Football Supporters Association

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portchat
Site Admin

Joining the Football Supporters Association

Post by portchat »

For full disclosure, before I start this post, I am a member of staff at the Football Supporters Association. I am their Governance and Constitutional Expert and Training Lead.

Since reviving the forum I have been considering the idea of registering Port Chat as an “Associate Member” of the FSA and have decided to go ahead and do this unless there are any major objections from forum members.

Bit of background on the FSA, they are the national, democratic, representative body for football supporters in England and Wales.

They are the leading advocates for supporter engagement and supporter ownership and have been involved in a number of successful campaigns over the years including, cheaper ticket prices and the choice to stand at the match. They work to protect fan rights, promote good governance, highlight diversity issues, and generally champion all types of supporter empowerment.

Their Associate members are made up of non-democratically structured fans groups like forums, podcasts, fanzines etc. and as Associate members of a NLN team we would be able to feed into the discussions in their “National Game Network.”

In normal times maybe the majority of fans on this forum wouldn’t really be interested or driven by discussions of the wider game outside of Southport FC, but these aren’t normal times and there has been some really interesting and engaging discussions on the forum about the current situation with the pandemic, how this affects Southport FC and the game as a whole.

I wanted to give the members of this forum the option and ability to contribute their thoughts, concerns and ideas into a body which is working to represent fans from all levels and all corners of the sport.

If this interests you, great! If it doesn’t, don’t worry, there’s no required commitment from anyone and I won’t clog up this board with posts! I will create a sub forum where I will keep members up to date with the latest discussion points, surveys, campaigns and changes to engage in the FSA’s own governance structure (chances to join their National Council, or board etc.)

Hope that all makes sense and members are happy with this. With all the excellent pro-active work the club are doing to lead on and highlight the issues at this level of the game in the current situation it would be good if us fans could add our voices into the mix too.

Nic Cave
BackoftheNet

Re: Joining the Football Supporters Association

Post by BackoftheNet »

I am of the opinion that any initiative that gives us greater collective strength is a good thing. United we stand etc. Associate membership of the Football Supporters Association would seem a good fit for Portchat. Gets my vote.
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

Go for it Nic, anything that helps SFC to keep going has to be good.
yellow mountain

Post by yellow mountain »

We should join, a very positive move.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
Phila9037

Post by Phila9037 »

Great idea
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Really good initiative - Thanks Nic
BinghamBoy

Post by BinghamBoy »

Excellent idea - let’s go for it!
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Just to let everyone know, our membership to the FSA was accepted and Port Chat are now fully fledged Associate Members!!

We will create a sub forum to host discussion points etc. Everyone is welcome to contribute.

Nic
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Well done Nic. :-)