Transfer Rumours

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sand74

Transfer Rumours

Post by Sand74 »

On that Non League Guy Twitter Feed he is saying Simon Grand will sign for us and that we are looking to try and sign Dominic Knowles, a Striker from Boston.

I see Scott Burton and Gary Stopforth have left Chester. Worth a look? 8-)
Alan Spences Pupil

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

This was mentioned at Grass Grow Avenue last Wednesday...so is probably true...good to be back Port Chat
DannyJohnston

Post by DannyJohnston »

Sand74 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 am On that Non League Guy Twitter Feed he is saying Simon Grand will sign for us and that we are looking to try and sign Dominic Knowles, a Striker from Boston.
Knowles has been released by Boston, and I know he’s looking at playing somewhere closer to home so there’s less travelling with him being based in Burnley
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

Firstly great to be back and to discuss Port matters again!! Gary Stopforth had incurred a serious injury which curtailed his performances last season, prior to that I think he won player of the season and was instrumental in the middle of the park. At 33, along with the serious injury, it would be a big risk.

Scott Burton was brought in to be the main man in midfield, but never really got going at Chester. Again, I would pass.

Southport have been linked to a number of names by Non League Guy ( twitter account ) who, in the main, has a pretty good hit rate. If rumours are true then we've missed out on a few:

Alex Whittle - Lost out to Gloucester City
Dominic Knowles - Between Southport and Spennymoor ( seeing as Spennymoor have signed Frank Mulhern, I expect us to have a good chance )
Montel Gibson - Was between Southport and Kidderminster ( Now going to Grimsby )
Adam Blakeman - Lost out to Spennymoor
Jake Cottrell - Lost out to Ashton United
Simon Grand

Looking at the acquisitions made, it seems as though Spennymoor, Darlington and Telford are making a strong play. York are now making some solid signings having released most of the squad. Looking at the retained list we have 14 players signed on, 15 if we account for McMillan ( no news ) and Liam doesn't tend to run with numbers, so maybe 4 more players.... versatility is preferred.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

With three strikers already on the books, can’t see Knowles being a realistic prospect. More likely Chorley/Flyde?
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

Carver looks to give you that physical element, good with his head and a finisher. Although Newell is slight he's shown he knows where the goal is, for me I would loan Sampson. Up until Covid we'd amassed 40 goals which is comparable to the bottom half of the table, Sampson - 3 goals, Newell - 4 ( loaned out to Marine ) and Correia - 3 goals, most of the goals came from midfield, Morgan - 11.

We need to bolster our attacking options and that includes the creative options in midfield to supply the forwards.
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Completely agree - from the "look" of the squad at the moment we need someone who can a pick a really good pass from midfield (other than Morgan) which can make things happen in the final third, a winger who has pace, good ball control and can cross the ball and more importantly a forward who has a sharp eye for goal and will probably deliver you 20 plus goals per season. Very early to make any judgements but no goals so far in two friendlies you could argue shows that last seasons issues with lack of goals has not yet been resolved.
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

I think missing out on Montel Gibson may hurt us, he's shown he has goalscoring pedigree and it would seem like Southport would have been a logical destination as he'd play every week most likely, and we've shown before that we are excellent at developing up-and-coming former lower league players, if, of course he would be able to find accommodation as Halesowen is a fairly long way away when you're only getting paid the wages we pay for players, and he even said himself he has aspirations of proffessional football, hence why Grimsby would have been such an attractive prospect to him.

As for the rest, I think Carver was a mistake and Sammo should have been shown the door, and we then should've made an active effort to sign someone like Gibson or similar who has scored 20+ goals in a season and has age on their side, no matter the level of football, and whilst I think Newell will really kick on this season, one bad tackle and he'll be out for 2 years.

I have to say, the other rumoured signings we've been linked with I'm actively glad we haven't signed, with the exception of maybe Whittle, as they don't feel like players that can excel at this level, and whilst it's obvious Watson is trying to bring experience into the side, I don't think by signing players who have scarcely played above non-league we are really going about it in the correct way. Knowles doesn't seem much different from Sampson or Carver, and they're all much of a muchness as bang average Northern Prem/ low Conference North level forwards. We need to get at least 2 wingers and a versatile midfielder to finish off the squad, alongside a ball player in defence to partner no-nonsense Ali.

Do we have any update on Niall Watson? I know he's been training with the first team for the last few weeks and even played in a friendly or two, and whilst it seems apparent that we will most likely offer him a contract, does anyone know whether it will be on a permanent basis or on loan from Stanley? As all I can see when looking at their retained list that he'd been offered new terms, and there's no indication whether he has signed the dotted line yet. I think he'd be a prime example of a decent Watson signing, not only because he's likely to adhere to the same ethos but also because it's clear to me having watched him for a while that he has a little bit of flair that can get you a long way at this level, something that I don't think Conner Woods really has in abundance. I also think Jack Dunn, the lad we had on loan from Warrington last year may be worth a punt, as the only thing that's really stopped him from being a decent Championship midfielder is a number of fairly catastrophic injuries over the years. He's 25, which is a good age as he's still young enough to have potential left in there but old enough that he has his head screwed on. He's creative, fast and can take set-pieces, 3 things that we really need to turn this team from average to play-off chasers.

Would still love young Watson in the side though. :P
mario

Post by mario »

The Bolton manager has said he'd like to loan out some players to get 1st team experience.
Must be worth looking into?
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

I also think former 'Port and Chelsea youngster Kyle Jameson would be worth a look- 22 years old, a good ball player, strong in the air and has a big presence at 6'3"- something we are missing in the current squad. He's just been released by Fylde and we must be his strongest suitors since we're a former club and based local, if he could accept a wage cut. If we are to play 3 or 5 at the back then a ball player, someone in the Astles mold but with a bit more height and a bit fitter, would be crucial. He's used to playing on academy quality pitches which will play to our advantage since the ground is so nice now, and one of the reasons people believed he made mistakes last term was because of Fylde's sub-standard at best pitch.
Liamsbodyguard

Post by Liamsbodyguard »

Hi guys this is my first post hope you're all well.
Trialists being used by liam any clues has to they might be .was thinking if one of them was Dylan vassalo from Warrington town town looked liked a good prospect in the past any thoughts guys .
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

I think one is Niall Watson still, he was number 17 vs Longridge I think.
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

Announce Messi
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Sand74 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:07 pmAnnounce Messi
Perhaps we could start a crowd funding page?
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

obviously, but could he do it on a wet Tuesday night in January at Gateshead?
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

MT I can't manage a wet Tuesday in Gateshead.Who can.?
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Bobby wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:06 am
Perhaps we could start a crowd funding page?
Just promise him a new Fax machine - that should swing the deal.
nostaw

Post by nostaw »

Expecting Niall Watson and Jack Bainbridge to be announced...

MOD EDIT: User 'nostaw' perma-banned for not supplying full name.
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

On wiki Bainbridge has signed.?
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I’m sticking with the not naming thing until players have signed on the club website but the defensive triallist was very good & in keeping with Oliver & Anson - tall, good on the ball, mobile and able to bring it out. Very much in favour of him signing.