Transfer Rumours

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Alan Spences Pupil

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Where would Ali & Winnard fit into the team?
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

kiaken wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:39 pm On wiki Bainbridge has signed.?
As has Watson, 17 man squad.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Nothing official yet.
Mind you the club haven't advertised the Warrington friendly yet either...
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:35 pm Where would Ali & Winnard fit into the team?
Difficult to speak about Ali having not seen him but I feel Winnard will be cover and adviser to the young centre halve lads. Hopefully we’ll see Ali at Warrington.
sandgrounder6

Post by sandgrounder6 »

The Warrington friendly has been listed on the official club website for the last ten days.

https://southportfc.net/pre-season-2020-21/
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

sandgrounder6 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:15 am The Warrington friendly has been listed on the official club website for the last ten days.

https://southportfc.net/pre-season-2020-21/
Honestly - Twitter feed is my main source of information and there was nothing on the Twitter feed.
I was wondering if there would be any other fixtures with our league last to start, but I see a trip to Nelson in scheduled.
Roday1878

Post by Roday1878 »

Any thoughts or rumours on who should replace Jack? Or should be after an additional midfielder.
exile

Post by exile »

Apparently County fans think we're after Nyal Bell on loan...
OLD GOLD

Post by OLD GOLD »

nostaw wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm Expecting Niall Watson and Jack Bainbridge to be announced...

MOD EDIT: User 'nostaw' perma-banned for not supplying full name.
Shouldn't that be locked out what's a perma ban ? lol
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

New signing for Tuesday.
Need another striker, but I understand it may be a young holding midfielder.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

Loan signings just show a total lack of ambition. They are a temporary stopgap to cover for somebody else (ie Marcus Wood in this case). We need a creative, attacking midfielder, not a holding midfielder. We have a very small squad and any injury will diminish it. Whilst I am happy enough with the current players, we need 2 more permanent signings. It looks like finances won't permit this so I am afraid we will have another mediocre season. Disappointing!
Having said that, I am more upbeat than one or two of our posters. If we can win at Kettering we are back on track!
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

Brianm wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:57 am Loan signings just show a total lack of ambition. They are a temporary stopgap to cover for somebody else (ie Marcus Wood in this case). We need a creative, attacking midfielder, not a holding midfielder. We have a very small squad and any injury will diminish it. Whilst I am happy enough with the current players, we need 2 more permanent signings. It looks like finances won't permit this so I am afraid we will have another mediocre season. Disappointing!
Having said that, I am more upbeat than one or two of our posters. If we can win at Kettering we are back on track!
Non-contract options are always available, and whilst the standard of player that are obtainable on amateur terms are infrequently of Conference North level, I disagree that they couldn't be used to "make up the numbers" as it were. Loan signings, at least season-long loan signings, don't show a lack of ambition and are rather an integral part to all but the very top teams in England, and give you the opportunity to acquire players significantly better than what would be available on a permanent transfer, and that have good reason to perform to the best of their ability each week.

I agree the squad is tiny but that's how Liam likes it, and as such who are we to argue? We do need one or two versatile new signings but it isn't the end of the world if we don't, and resigning yourself to mediocrity when we sit in 5th with 2 wins from 4 in the league, and an obviously talented squad seems very premature to me.
bnek

Post by bnek »

Plenty of free agents about. Arguably we could get a higher calibre of player for less money than we would've paid a year ago due to COVID factors.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Desperate to bring players in now.
Squad of 17 of which:
Marcus Wood out for a while
George Newell injured
Mo Ali injured
Jack Bainbridge - dodgy hamstrings
Dean Winnard - struggles to play back to back matches

Liam said we would have someone in for Kettering that didn't materialise.
Hearing lots of names and clubs, but nothing confirmed yet.
Hopefully we will have one or two for Saturday.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Is there any information on the injuries to Ali and Newell?
Roday1878

Post by Roday1878 »

Paulisi wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:42 pm Desperate to bring players in now.
You’d guess 14 relatively fit players, surely someone will be announced before Saturday. Interesting to see if it’s a loan or permanent basis, anyone heard anything? Would also be good to get an update on Mo Ali after his head injury at Kettering.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Still no news or even an update on the injuries..
Parttimer

Post by Parttimer »

Paulisi wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:53 pm Still no news or even an update on the injuries..
Would say its more the Liam way to leave everything to the last minute/up in the air, was surprised we didnt have a late announcement or two for tuesdays game though
loyal jay

Post by loyal jay »

Jordan Archer is expected to sign, as per Non League Guy on twitter.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

loyal jay wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:57 pm Jordan Archer is expected to sign, as per Non League Guy on twitter.
How do you know this? It doesn’t mention anything re Jordan archer