Dave Roberts - RIP

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Jayrob

Dave Roberts - RIP

Post by Jayrob »

It is my sad duty to inform the Port Chat family of the recent death of my father, Dave Roberts (he posted as 'Old Man'). Dave always rejoiced that 'Port are a true family and friendly club. He had many friends there which he met and spoke to at home games.

Supporting Southport since 1958, he travelled extensively to away matches (albeit not too many in recent seasons), was a past season ticket holder, this season joining the new membership scheme.

He flew in from abroad to see us play Hartlepool when we won the league in the 72/73 season. His loud supporter voice was not that of one of the main stand moaners. He held firm opinions, but was respected as someone who supported the team through thick and thin.

He will be missed by his fellow supporters and his family of friends.

RIP Dad/Dave/Old Man x
mark thomas

Re: Dave Roberts - RIP

Post by mark thomas »

Condolences jayrob.
SfcFPA

Post by SfcFPA »

Sad news Jay. Dave gave me a lot of a help a few years ago with the website and was always good to chat to on a match day. He'll be missed.
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

RIP. Dave.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Very sorry to hear the sad news about your Dad- Jay, sounded like a great supporter of the club over his lifetime . My thoughts are with you and your family .
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

I’m sorry for your loss Jay.

RIP Dave.
pbg

Post by pbg »

Very sorry to hear the sad news. Dave and I were classmates at Christ Church school in the early 1960,s. In recent seasons, our match day seats were close to each other, so we often had a chat. My condolences to his family.
sandgrounder 1965

Post by sandgrounder 1965 »

Just heard the news of a big mate and friend Dave Roberts i also was at Christ Church with Dave.Than like me he watched SFC and i sat close by him in the Main Stand.A very sad day and will miss him.Rest in pace my friend.
BackoftheNet

Post by BackoftheNet »

R.I.P. Dave. You will be greatly missed. A true and loyal sandgrounder. Deepest condolences to your family at this sad time.
David999

Post by David999 »

Sincere condolences to Dave’s family . A lifelong supporter who flew in from abroad for our promotion game against Hartlepool all those years ago has my greatest respect( I remember invading the pitch at the end in great excitement ) . It is so sad to see us lose the support of such a staunch follower and Covid restrictions will , no doubt , prevent us from showing our respects at his funeral.
RIP , Dave and I will miss our port chat exchange of messages - a sad time indeed .
exile

Post by exile »

I didn't know him, other than his posts on here, but it's sad to lose any yellow / member of the Port Chat community.

Our thoughts are with you at this terrible time...
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Just seen a photo of your dad on the club website and realised that I knew him. Used to see him at a number of away games in the 70s and then more frequently later. A real dedicated Southport supporter. I am very sorry to hear of his passing and my sympathies to you and the rest of his family and friends.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

exile wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:03 pm I didn't know him, other than his posts on here, but it's sad to lose any yellow / member of the Port Chat community.

Our thoughts are with you at this terrible time...
The same here, one of those handles you looked out for in a post. Even if you disagreed with OM, you knew it was a thoughtful and considered opinion.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Maybe the administrators could set up a 4th headline group/ topic under Southport FC e.g “ in Memorium” and include RIP notices there as I feel Good supporters Like Dave deserve to be remembered and acknowledged in their own right without being lost in the maelstrom of less important Subjects where we are able to vent our spleens and occasionally offer up praise . Looking at Dave’s picture today I just thought I hope we win in the cup for him tomorrow .
yellowfever

Post by yellowfever »

A lovely photograph and tribute on the official website..I didn't know Dave particularly well,probably only spoke to him a handful of times but like many fans at SFC-you associate that face solely to Southport Football Club...Here year in year out...
My sincere condolences to all concerned.
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

Really sorry to hear that.

Lovely guy.
Ali

Post by Ali »

RIP Dave. Thoughts and best wishes to Jay, Ste and the rest of his family.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Very sad. Hadn’t seen him for a while but remember many conversations in the past.
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

Jay, your Dad was a lovely man, a BIG personality that lit up wherever he was. I will miss the man; as I am sure will the whole of the Southport FC family. I remember how proud he was of you. I remember you having your head shaved on the pitch (was that for Help for Heroes?) His "number" might well have come up (bet whichever spiritual admin gave it to him has had a proper hard time since ;-) but he lives on in all of our hearts. Condolences.
englishr

Post by englishr »

I registered just to be able to offer my sadness at your loss. I have known your dad from the main stand for many a year and always spoke to him before games. He was a true SFC supporter and will be missed.
RIP Dave and condolences to you Jay and your family

Rob