Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sgreen1234

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Sgreen1234 »

Sand74 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm Should have had it tied up in the first half.

Is it just me or was their goal not 2 yards offside?
No benefit of a replay but i didn’t see it as offside. I think there was a defender on the line. The only possibility was that Tony Mac was the other side of him, so possibly but my instinct at the time didn’t see it as off
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I'm sure it was offside, a defender on the line but he was well past Tony Mac.

A shame to lose that after an excellent first half, still playing catch-up on the fitness side of things. South Shields are definitely a decent Conf North team in all but name, but we should have been well ahead at half time. It's understandable with so many young players but we seem to lack a bit of what I would call "game management" if it wasn't such a horrible phrase.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Rather depressing.

We need three in midfield.
siddle

Post by siddle »

Categorically offside. Played well in spells - and agree with poster who said they appeared fitter
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Are we any better than last season? Doesn’t look like it on the basis of the first three games.
Met him on a Monday

Post by Met him on a Monday »

Their keeper was playing mind games in the shoot out, didn't go directly to his line , clapping his hands , pointing to where to put the ball , ref should have warned him. In the end we got what we deserved
Route66

Post by Route66 »

We certainly seemed to get outfought in midfield. Woods didn't seem to get into the game second half. We just seemed to back off in the second half.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

We played some really nice stuff in the first half, and I suppose at least this means we aren't going to be tormented by a plum third round draw where we're sent to an empty Old Trafford or Anfield. I feel like we have some promising new signings but are maybe one short with Wood out - is Winnard likely to play much?

Excellent commentary again, and the stream was much better as well.
Port on the Kent

Post by Port on the Kent »

Didn't watch tonight but from all accounts it should have been game over at half time. At least we are creating chances which is an improvement on last season. Lack of goals still worries me. I am not saying it's all his fault and he has some strengths, but Sampson doesn't score enough goals and personally, I think he's very lucky to get a gig again after last season's return. I look at Chester tonight who were in the same situation, home game against good quality North East opposition, it's 1-1, they go and win the game 3-1 with both their front men on target. That is the difference between teams who are in the 1st - 6th shake up and those who are in the 7th - 12th category. I am not sure we have done enough to bridge that gap, and we're going to need widemen like Woods and Watson to get into double figures. Let's get Carver a run in the team as well.

Disappointing to miss out on a healthy wad of prize money, but it's done now. We need a win on Saturday or the season will quickly become like the others with the same moans and same deficiencies, just from a greater distance.
Last edited by Port on the Kent on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

I think second half we were really poor, the game should have been won in the first half hour, we had so many chances. Shields were lucky and preyed on our mistakes, but definitely deserved a goal for their performance from around 50 to 75 minutes, but the rest of the game I think we were on top.

It's clear to me that Sampson shouldn't have started tonight, as their back 4 weren't particularly physical, instead an old fashioned front 3 with Watson, Carver and Woods would have been a far better bet. Wing backs again very impressive, especially Jack Doyle, who was my MOTM for sure, I feel like Challoner hugged the by-line too much, and would have preferred him to fill the seemingly vacant right midfield spot, but a decent showing. It's also evident that unless Charlie Oliver starts making runs forward from his sweeper spot and actively joins Morgs and Benjamin in the midfield we can't play 3 forwards as we got completely overrun in the second half, which led to their goal. Newell looked knackered after 50 minutes save for a few bursts nearing the end of his time on the pitch. We need some more pace in the channels, and someone who has the ability to beat a man, which is Watson's best attribute for me. Their full backs went unchallenged too often, which is yet another area for improvement, but can be expected when your wingers are actually an attacking midfielder and an out-and-out poacher. Very poor man management from Liam today, and whilst he has had some questionable substitutions in the past, bringing Anson on was a big mistake, as we really didn't need another centre back when Bainbridge didn't even look that tired. Niall should have definitely been subbed for Newell early 2nd half, and then we could have played a proper counterattacking tactic, as he would have the pace to take the ball the length of the pitch, or at least the inclination. Vassalo was probably our best player when he came on and I think his versatility is unmatched in this side. We also don't close down well enough but with an assortment of ball players and Mo Ali, the only 'traditional' centre back who can put in a proper tackle, we need to adapt and close down in the wings and the midfield even more than we are doing, and treat Bainbridge and Oliver more like defensive playmakers. Morgan and Benjamin were good today as always, but they can't combat sometimes 5 midfielders alone, which is why I think we'd be better utilising the 5-2-3 vs teams which play a back 3/5, and 5-3-2 against a 4 at the back tactic, because we have the physicality and pace in the forward line with Carver and Watson as a front 2, for me George seems to have lost a bit of fitness or something, with his opposite number Gilchrist far outperforming him as a poacher. We also need to hold our shape in the forward line, Connor drifted too much for me tonight when we needed him on his man at all times, Challoner can't be expected to control the whole wing by himself.

Plenty of room for improvement, but as we learn this tactic, or the 5 at the back in general, there will be teething issues, and despite all said above we still played better than Shields for 2/3 of the match, which shows the enormous potential this tactic with these players can have. The football we played tonight was far easier and more fluid on the eye than it was when we played South Shields last year, and as we build on performances I think by January-ish (if the season makes it that far) we will have a formidable set up with quite the host of talented footballers. We do perhaps need an experienced winger to bring in as our 19th squad player, we lack depth in that position and no matter the tactic, you can always benefit from wingers in the squad.

If you're still reading, well done.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

So once again a transitional season, nowhere near a challenging team?
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:40 pm So once again a transitional season, nowhere near a challenging team?
I think we have the quality, but tactically Liam needs to get his act together and start playing to our strengths, which I hate to say don't appear to be in the hard tackling defensive, nor the goalscoring side of the game.
YELLOWTAXI

Post by YELLOWTAXI »

Excellent stream tonight. No glitches whatsoever. Well done to all the media team.👏
We should of been 3/4 up in the 1st half. We really need to learn to take our chances & kill off teams & not allow teams to get back into a game.
Gutted but we move onto the more important matter of the League on Saturday 💛🖤
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

Thought we were very good in the first half, aside from scoring more! Played some excellent football (on the ground) and should have been several goals in front. As has been mentioned by others I think our lack of competitive match practice/fitness cost us in the second half, although we still could have nicked it at the end. I'm certainly not writing off our season just yet..!
Port Yellow

Post by Port Yellow »

Really frustrating evening. We should have been comfortably ahead at half-time. There was always a danger they'd come back into it. Far too early to assess where we're at.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

My picture started to break up whenever the camera moved. Is the problem at my end or theirs?
GoalHanger

Post by GoalHanger »

Well done to the media team, for getting the stream spot on. It struggled last week to keep up with play so much improved. I missed our goal and was convinced the equaliser was offside by the fact the scorer was waiting for the flag to go up.

we had chances, they looked decent again. not concerned although disappointed to go out.

hoping to see more of the attacking play from pre-season alongside the Delapkrieg tactics of last season.
port4ever

Post by port4ever »

The streaming and commentary was excellent. No issues whatsoever.
BackoftheNet

Post by BackoftheNet »

It is still early days but having played 3 and won 1 drawn 1 and lost 1our start to the season is decidedly average. Last nights match was an opportunity to generate some much needed revenue from a Cup run and as such was very disappointing. South Shields are a decent team and will probably win promotion to our league. (They were a certainty for promotion last season and were robbed of the prize.) Pre season friendlies are a world away from competitive games and whilst we had a good pre season the last 3 games should be a wake up call.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:56 am It is still early days but having played 3 and won 1 drawn 1 and lost 1our start to the season is decidedly average. Last nights match was an opportunity to generate some much needed revenue from a Cup run and as such was very disappointing. South Shields are a decent team and will probably win promotion to our league. (They were a certainty for promotion last season and were robbed of the prize.) Pre season friendlies are a world away from competitive games and whilst we had a good pre season the last 3 games should be a wake up call.
Won 1 drawn 2 - you can’t really count a loss on penalties as a defeat!