Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Sandgrounder SE
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I do. I bet the management does too, if only because it’s yet another loss of income. Perhaps glass-half-full optimists can make up the shortfall.
Three indifferent performances whichever way you view it.
User avatar
SteH90
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by SteH90 »

Very good analysis from David above, most of which I agree with. We should have gone through and while not in the habit of making excuses (as we should be beating lower league opponents at home) if you create that amount of chances in the first hour you’ll win most games. It was South Shields 8th competitive match of the season and our 3rd due to COVID circumstances so fitness is certainly a factor. We looked tired by the hour mark yet didn’t substitute anyone until the 74th minute after Shields had equalised. We’ve got a good bench so should be using them more and earlier if players haven’t got the stamina yet to last much past an hour. Try to get ahead in the first hour then refresh things. South Shields took over, deserved the equaliser & were better on penalties.
On a final, more personal point - can everyone please stop calling penalties ‘a lottery’? Penalties are part of the game, something that can be practiced (particularly if you’ve got a Cup tie which can be decided by them coming up) & you can choose your best takers. A lottery is defined as ‘a situation whose success or outcome is governed by chance’. Penalties aren’t down to chance therefore penalties aren’t a lottery. It’s just a cliché that’s now part of the games lexicon but no one seems to have thought about it - you get to penalties so someone will say ‘they’re a lottery’. They’re not.
Rant over!
Last edited by SteH90 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BackoftheNet
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by BackoftheNet »

Exiled wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:19 am
BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:56 am It is still early days but having played 3 and won 1 drawn 1 and lost 1our start to the season is decidedly average. Last nights match was an opportunity to generate some much needed revenue from a Cup run and as such was very disappointing. South Shields are a decent team and will probably win promotion to our league. (They were a certainty for promotion last season and were robbed of the prize.) Pre season friendlies are a world away from competitive games and whilst we had a good pre season the last 3 games should be a wake up call.
Won 1 drawn 2 - you can’t really count a loss on penalties as a defeat!
How would you list last nights match then - it’s wasn’t a draw......because we are not in the hat for the next round.
Alan Spences Pupil
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Frustrating tactics these poor Doyle must be knackered running miles trudging from one touch line to the other, if Samson gets the ball the move falters & we lose possession time & again, Morgan fights a lone battle with 3 or 4 tacklers all around him. Poor spectacle as we are crying out for some width, at this level it is always a matchwinner, positives Ali & Oliver good defenders & will serve us well. Will Watson or whoever sorts these things out change it around? At the moment it looks the same as last season apart from different personnel....
Exiled Port Fan
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:40 pm So once again a transitional season, nowhere near a challenging team?
We've played 1 league game, we've been out of the FA Cup earlier as well. It has been a bitty start, on the off then mothballed then on again. Played Saturday, Tuesday then postponed then another match. All on the back of a pretty unusual preseason set of fixtures. I'm not entirely sure what you wanted after 3 games, a set of 10-0 victories?

We are P3 conceeded 2. The issue is scored 3. But if we stay tight at the back you don't need to score 3 a game. We ain't perfect but we are a long way from writing off the season jusr yet....
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:40 pm So once again a transitional season, nowhere near a challenging team?
We've played 1 league game. It's a bit early to write the season off.
issy
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:13 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by issy »

No problem with streaming. Well done team and the commentators. Big improvement on Hereford and a game that was good to watch. More width with Woods on the wing and the wing backs getting up the pitch. It was encouraging to see more modern tactics, but if you are pressing relatively high up the pitch, you need to be super fit - and we weren't. We backed off in the second half and it showed. Feel sorry for Doyle, had a good game defensively, going forward, taking throw ins and corners! Another good ref. Let's build on this, improve fitness and less of the 'hoof' ball.
Exiled
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Exiled »

BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:18 am
Exiled wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:19 am
BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:56 am It is still early days but having played 3 and won 1 drawn 1 and lost 1our start to the season is decidedly average. Last nights match was an opportunity to generate some much needed revenue from a Cup run and as such was very disappointing. South Shields are a decent team and will probably win promotion to our league. (They were a certainty for promotion last season and were robbed of the prize.) Pre season friendlies are a world away from competitive games and whilst we had a good pre season the last 3 games should be a wake up call.
Won 1 drawn 2 - you can’t really count a loss on penalties as a defeat!
How would you list last nights match then - it’s wasn’t a draw......because we are not in the hat for the next round.
I would say that after 90 minutes (i.e. the length of a normal football match) it was a draw. Is that difficult to understand? Any other year and we'd be heading to South Shields for a replay...
Sam
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Sam »

Usually i'd want a cup run, especially for the money. But to be honest i feel like cup games are superfluous this year and will just get in the way.

But it was obvious that South Shields have played more competitive matches. No need for the doom mongers to be so gleeful yet.
yellosoul
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by yellosoul »

We lost

Dominated much of the first half without too many clear cut chances (bizarre goal aside) or their goalie making many saves

SS always looked threatening, particularly with Gilchrist on the ball and were the better side after the break, when I thought we were poor and resorted to ineffective long ball tactics. Madness to have Doyle taking virtually every throw in on both sides of the pitch, none of which created anything. Their penalties were much better than ours and the shoot out certainly wasn't a lottery.

Anyone thinking this game was an inconvenience needs to consider the lost prize money in a cash-strapped season
Sand74
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 am

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Sand74 »

At least a yard offside...

Image
Brianm
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Brianm »

Who decided on the penalty takers?
Benjamin (1 shot in the game), Oliver (0 shots in the game).
Watson should have been on near the end if only to take a penalty, Anson wasn't required as a substitute.
Sampson??
Fitness was poor and after so many pre-season games! Management should be doing better! Much needed revenue lost.
TrickyDicky
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by TrickyDicky »

Exiled wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:37 am
BackoftheNet wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:18 am
Exiled wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:19 am

Won 1 drawn 2 - you can’t really count a loss on penalties as a defeat!
How would you list last nights match then - it’s wasn’t a draw......because we are not in the hat for the next round.
I would say that after 90 minutes (i.e. the length of a normal football match) it was a draw. Is that difficult to understand? Any other year and we'd be heading to South Shields for a replay...
Spot on it had a replay written over it. Interesting that forwards sometimes are reluctant penalty takers, they’re an instinctive lot and don’t like to have time to think and miss. I like Russ but I knew he was going to miss the barn door as soon as he strolled up and Charlie Oliver who is showing himself to be a decent defender just kicks hit as hard as he can . We should have made the 2/3 substitutions in the 70 th minute when we were running out of gas closing down their football playing back four who drained the legs out of george and jack and created all kinds of space to get at us midfield. We won at Prescott and Tamworth in cups previously so luck wasn’t on our side last night.
Kempster911
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Kempster911 »

Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:47 pm My picture started to break up whenever the camera moved. Is the problem at my end or theirs?
Once again abysmal cheap camcorder footage shot at
distance with no variation or imagination and blurred
images.

As for benching the two most productive strikers .......
User avatar
Ralphy Rylance
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Kempster911 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Once again abysmal cheap camcorder footage shot at
distance with no variation or imagination and blurred
images.
Looked fine to me.
We're a 6th tier regional league football club with a media team of volunteers not Sky Sports
There's 1 camera, it needs to follow the action on the pitch, which it did.
Can you explain what sort of variation and imagination you're looking for?
port4ever
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by port4ever »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Once again abysmal cheap camcorder footage shot at
distance with no variation or imagination and blurred
images.
Looked fine to me.
We're a 6th tier regional league football club with a media team of volunteers not Sky Sports
There's 1 camera, it needs to follow the action on the pitch, which it did.
Can you explain what sort of variation and imagination you're looking for?
Fine in Spain, I've 100 meg, suggest that you look at you internet speed. Great coverage...
Port on the Kent
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Port on the Kent »

No interview with Liam?
User avatar
SteH90
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by SteH90 »

Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Once again abysmal cheap camcorder footage shot at
distance with no variation or imagination and blurred
images.
Looked fine to me.
We're a 6th tier regional league football club with a media team of volunteers not Sky Sports
There's 1 camera, it needs to follow the action on the pitch, which it did.
Can you explain what sort of variation and imagination you're looking for?
Coverage was excellent in my opinion. No problem with the picture all night and good commentary again. Thanks to the media team.
Port on the Kent
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Port on the Kent »

Kempster911 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:47 pm My picture started to break up whenever the camera moved. Is the problem at my end or theirs?
Once again abysmal cheap camcorder footage shot at
distance with no variation or imagination and blurred
images.

As for benching the two most productive strikers .......
I assume you are being a wazzock intentionally, but volunteers have managed to produce a streaming package in a very short time frame. It is functional and similar to many others in non-league.

However, I would ask whether it's worth exploring other angles and more cameras, there are teams who are doing this at our level. There are numerous contractors who will produce professional coverage... for a fee. I have argued that things like floodlight rams are not what supporters should be paying for, but match coverage certainly is. If the cost of professional coverage ran into several thousands, so what, this should be exactly the kind of thing TIY are looking to support. When we thought streaming was only going to be for a handful of games then banging a camera in the stand was job done, now it looks like it will be most (if not all) of the season, all options are worth looking into at least.
Route66
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 pm

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Route66 »

Media team did a good job and the camera work was fine. It is not as if we have thousands of pounds spare to splash out on match of the day coverage! We are not going to get a big FA Cup payout for a plum tie in round 3!!!
Post Reply