Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
pbg

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by pbg »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:29 am
Sand74 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:17 am Bit surprised at how down people are on the Team.
Are you really surprised?! :lol:
New Port Chat, same as the old Port Chat!
Portchat has always been “Blessed” with an abundance of whingers and moaners. They whinge and moan about anything and everything. I think maybe some of the players enjoy playing in a stadium with no spectators, because then they don’t have to suffer the abuse from the main stand moaners every time they make a mistake. I could tell you right now what the moans will be on Saturday if we don’t get a win against Chorley, the moaners are so predictable. Anyway, in this era where free speech is under attack, we need to defend the right of the moaners to talk a load of rubbish!!
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

You will find very little criticism of players on here.
I offer no apologies for my whinge about LWs interview and in the past my concerns and questions when PH took over (some of which were deleted).
The whole point of Portchat is to provide a forum for observation, reflection, praise and criticism. It’s pub talk, not a refereed journal.

Now, main stand moaners are another matter. They can demoralise players and spoil the experience of other spectators. On several occasions I’ve challenged them face to face.

I don’t think that a bit of criticism on here is at all comparable with the main stand moaners.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Kempster911 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:16 pm
port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm
Looked fine to me.
We're a 6th tier regional league football club with a media team of volunteers not Sky Sports
There's 1 camera, it needs to follow the action on the pitch, which it did.
Can you explain what sort of variation and imagination you're looking for?
Fine in Spain, I've 100 meg, suggest that you look at you internet speed. Great coverage...
Some find denial sweeter than reality.
Explanation unwarranted, should be obvious to anyone.
I LIKE DENIAL, I THINK IT'S GOOD
pbg

Post by pbg »

Redrobe fan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 am You will find very little criticism of players on here.
I offer no apologies for my whinge about LWs interview and in the past my concerns and questions when PH took over (some of which were deleted).
The whole point of Portchat is to provide a forum for observation, reflection, praise and criticism. It’s pub talk, not a refereed journal.

Now, main stand moaners are another matter. They can demoralise players and spoil the experience of other spectators. On several occasions I’ve challenged them face to face.

I don’t think that a bit of criticism on here is at all comparable with the main stand moaners.
Redrobe fan, if I were to compile my list of the top 50 Portchat whingers, your name may, just may, sneak in at about no. 49. We have some truly world class whingers on Portchat but you are not one of them. If you want to move up the whingers top 50, one of the things you need to do is to stop posting positive comments when we win and when we loose you must post lots of negative posts. The whingers have been mainly silent of late, due to the good preseason, but they are there in the background, just waiting.
UPTHEPORT
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I'd have put myself at about 90! :D
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

I thought you were a bit younger than that.
Formula Port

Post by Formula Port »

pbg wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 am You will find very little criticism of players on here.

Redrobe fan, if I were to compile my list of the top 50 Portchat whingers, your name may, just may, sneak in at about no. 49. We have some truly world class whingers on Portchat but you are not one of them. If you want to move up the whingers top 50, one of the things you need to do is to stop posting positive comments when we win and when we loose you must post lots of negative posts. The whingers have been mainly silent of late, due to the good preseason, but they are there in the background, just waiting.
UPTHEPORT
Where is Michael? I miss his unrelenting defence of Charles Clapham MBE
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:56 pm I thought you were a bit younger than that.
Well, I'm a lot younger than you.
David_1276

Post by David_1276 »

I'm not sure whether I speak for the majority, or just myself, but the reason I've been fairly critical so far is because I don't want the team to fail. We have such a strong nucleus, with some real individual talents, and I don't want that to go to waste in an as yet unproven tactic. I also feel that if we don't get it sorted quick enough, we'll be dangerously close to falling into the oblivion of mediocrity we have been every season since we were last in the Conference Premier. I have a lot of respect for Liam, he is undoubtedly our best manager post-2000 but with such a strong team you have to ask if, come the end of this season and we aren't top 7, whether he should have his managerial contract renewed for next season. He seems to have gotten very comfortable in his position, something which is not usually indicative of a coach who should want to be looking towards the National League come the end of May next year. Don't get me wrong, if we play a good game tomorrow, with our midfield sorted and win the game comfortably, and there is some indication of tactical tweaking, I'm going to be very happy, secure in the knowledge we have at least some versatility and ability to adapt tactics situationally, which in turn could suggest he maybe isn't as content as he sounds.

I watched Chorley last week in their game vs Gloucester, and they struggled keeping up with the wing backs, especially Alex Whittle, whom you could compare fairly closely with Jack Doyle, which hopefully puts us in good stead tactics wise. Wing backs in this league seem invariably dangerous, every team that plays them are causing problems for those who don't.

I love this club as much as the next fan, but I just really, really, don't want another season of 'what could have been', or that we're 'rebuilding' again. We are never going to be perfect, and there will always be points of imperfection, or something for people to moan about, but I really implore Liam and co.,

Give us something to cheer.
BackoftheNet

Post by BackoftheNet »

I am with David. I just want to cheer and shout and applaud my team all day long. We know football is full of ups and down and can be a real heartbreaker..... that is the beauty of our national sport and long may it continue. I am full of re renewed optimism and in to many seasons recently that has extended until November when grim reality sets in. I don’t want grim reality again, I would like to remain full of optimism through to the end of the season. Just give me something to sing and shout about. Thankyou one and all.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:26 am
port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Fine in Spain, I've 100 meg, suggest that you look at you internet speed. Great coverage...
Anticipating further ineptitude saturday .. are you with me ..
completely out of denial .. bring your own.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Kempster911 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 pm
Thanks for your support. I'm sure the club appreciate it.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Listening to the interview, you do wonder whether Liam’s heart is still in it or his he just doing the job because he has to?

Interesting to hear him refer to Andy Preece as a mate. Did a great job.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Kempster911 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 pm
RIGHT, I WILL DO THEN
YTT

Post by YTT »

Bobby wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 pm Listening to the interview, you do wonder whether Liam’s heart is still in it or his he just doing the job because he has to?

Interesting to hear him refer to Andy Preece as a mate. Did a great job.
How someone’s results and your perceived performance at the club linked to people’s personal relationship status?

Strange comment.
becbee

Post by becbee »

Port Chat does have moaners and whingers but I doubt any more than any other football club forum and certainly less than some I've seen. The main problem is that the moaners and whingers on all sites tend to post more often than other posters so it gives a false impression of a fanbase.