Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe fan

Re: Southport 1-1 South Shields - Match Thread

Post by Redrobe fan »

I’m sorry that my innocent technical question sparked a debate. My PC is pretty good and the broadband is supposed to be fast - or so Virgin Media tells me.

Despite the problem with picture quality on my PC, I would not want the club to spend money on camera equipment etc. It’s OK for the current situation.

I thought the commentary was easily as good if not better than BBC local radio and better than many on Radio Five.

As for the game...the second half was so depressing. Some thought needed about the system as the midfield was very thin.

It was also notable that Gilchrist shoots whenever given a half chance, whereas our lads tended to pass or take an extra touch. And often they just didn’t strike the ball cleanly.

I expected some chat on here about Gilchrist. He scores a lot of goals. His departure from Haig Ave was an unfortunate business.
badger

Post by badger »

Port on the Kent wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:33 pm No interview with Liam?
You do not need a interview to say " It Is what It Is." :o
YTT

Post by YTT »

Redrobe fan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:48 pm I’m sorry that my innocent technical question sparked a debate. My PC is pretty good and the broadband is supposed to be fast - or so Virgin Media tells me.

Despite the problem with picture quality on my PC, I would not want the club to spend money on camera equipment etc. It’s OK for the current situation.

I thought the commentary was easily as good if not better than BBC local radio and better than many on Radio Five.

As for the game...the second half was so depressing. Some thought needed about the system as the midfield was very thin.

It was also notable that Gilchrist shoots whenever given a half chance, whereas our lads tended to pass or take an extra touch. And often they just didn’t strike the ball cleanly.

I expected some chat on here about Gilchrist. He scores a lot of goals. His departure from Haig Ave was an unfortunate business.
If Gilchrist and others were still at the club we would be fast heading into administration as we simply couldn't afford them and that period was unsustainable. We are now talking about lads that are part time and on about half or less money wise.

In terms of Tuesday night i think it highlights an ongoing problem for us and no slight on the lad personally but Jack Sampson influences the way we play (lures Liam into his turn to style) and i just can't see what we have in the group working be that in a 1-2 or a 3 up top. For me it simply doesn't fit together Sampson, just doesn't score enough goals and rest is very hit and miss, Newell, still unproven at the level and will he get enough game time? Carver, again not prolific in terms of goal return at the level & Watson, again unproven and raw.

i do think Liam needs to be brave and blood Niall as he has raw pace and ability. He has clearly set out with a plan this season in terms of squad make up and Saturday becomes a big game and one for me that with the current Chorley squad we should be winning.

As for fitness i don't think there are any excuses for running out of steam these days at 60 minutes at any level of football.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Yes YTT, I understand why he had to go, but nevertheless it was a very unfortunate business.

I agree about Sampson and Watson. In addition I think that we need to play 3 in midfield. Maybe move Oliver forward?
Last edited by Redrobe fan on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sand74

Post by Sand74 »

Bit surprised at how down people are on the Team.

We outplayed South Shields, who I suspect have a much larger wage budget than us, for long periods and they only scored due to a terrible error by the Linesman.

There are more options in the squad this season and maybe a player here or there could have been changed. I think the substitutions were right but made 5-10 minutes late, but I still think there are grounds for optimism.

They are at least better to watch than recent years.
Big Mac 1985

Post by Big Mac 1985 »

Sand74 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:17 am Bit surprised at how down people are on the Team.
Are you really surprised?! :lol:
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I just listened to Liam's interview. I thought that it was a bit lightweight and to me it seemed a bit complacent, bearing in mind that we lost at home to a team from a lower league and terminated an important income stream.
I don't really want to hear repeated congratulations to the opposition and him wishing them luck for the next round. It brasses me off when we lose, I have no concern for the opposition. I'm not asking for an apology to the fans or anything like one, but I want to hear a deeper analysis of where we did it right and where we went wrong, what he's going to do about it, and maybe some assurances for the future. Professional players (even part-timers) shouldn't be running out of steam after a dozen games, and missing penalties isn't a joking matter.
We've had a string of mediocre seasons and I'd like to think that we might do something this time. I have no expectations but I'd like some hope.
signed
Mr Grumpy
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

Port on the Kent wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:33 pm No interview with Liam?
Interview with Liam on website.
Gloucester

Post by Gloucester »

I’m not too surprised at the result South Shields they are a good side who are well backed financially.
They were very unlucky not to be promoted last season and I think they will be promoted this time.
Ralphy Rylance

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm we lost at home to a team from a lower league
They're only in a lower league because last season was declared null and void at their level.
All things being equal they'd be playing in our division this season and would probably be amongst the favourites for another promotion.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I know the reason, but they are from a lower league.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:14 am Yes YTT, I understand why he had to go, but nevertheless it was a very unfortunate business.

I agree about Sampson and Watson. In addition I think that we need to play 3 in midfield. Maybe move Oliver forward?
Oliver is a ball playing centre half and if we are going to play out from the back that's fine but we tend to revert to type and boom it and hook it too often. Given the Marcus Wood situation we are a body down in central midfield.

I 100% agree that we should be beating South Shields at home and don't get those on here whom think otherwise or are almost accepting of it as irrespective of budget (and we should know) it's only as good as the team you put together with it and we did dominate for a period but same old story.

Having listened to Liam it came across to me like he was almost resigned to it and not that bothered. Cash is king and with his Directors head on i''m sure he will be having a word with himself with benefit of hindsight.
Portoldie

Post by Portoldie »

Agree with the above comments. The opposing managers and coaches also all seem to be his mates.
I don't see the hunger any more.
Don't get me wrong, I''m glad we've got a club we'll hopefully be able to watch in person again sometime.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

I totally agree with Mr Grumpy (Redrobe Fan).
I look forward to all the matches, even the Friendlies, and went to a couple of them.
I get upset and dispirited when we lose - ask my wife! So does my pal, (ask his wife!).
Liam seems to be not too bothered in his interviews. We have lost some good income, desperately needed.
We should be winning every game, especially at home. I don't see why we have to 'accept' that other teams are better than us.
Running out of steam after 60 minutes is ridiculous. We played 13 pre-season games which was supposed to get us match fit. Are the rest of you just happy to accept that 'we are where we are'? I know this is going to be a crazy season, but so far it is not good enough. I don't believe it is the players' fault. They seem to be trying their best. I'm now looking forward to us beating Chorley.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm I just listened to Liam's interview. I thought that it was a bit lightweight and to me it seemed a bit complacent, bearing in mind that we lost at home to a team from a lower league and terminated an important income stream.
I don't really want to hear repeated congratulations to the opposition and him wishing them luck for the next round. It brasses me off when we lose, I have no concern for the opposition. I'm not asking for an apology to the fans or anything like one, but I want to hear a deeper analysis of where we did it right and where we went wrong, what he's going to do about it, and maybe some assurances for the future. Professional players (even part-timers) shouldn't be running out of steam after a dozen games, and missing penalties isn't a joking matter.
We've had a string of mediocre seasons and I'd like to think that we might do something this time. I have no expectations but I'd like some hope.
signed
Mr Grumpy
Quite agree, I hope he is not hanging his Directors coat on selling his best players to further their careers, good luck to them mind, I think his time as Manager has gone & you cant keep harking back to past glories, another mediocre season(s) that we have endured for too long now and patience will be thin, its his team now lets see some of the attacking intent that we heard of in pre season...
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

port4ever wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm
Ralphy Rylance wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm
Kempster911 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Once again abysmal cheap camcorder footage shot at
distance with no variation or imagination and blurred
images.
Looked fine to me.
We're a 6th tier regional league football club with a media team of volunteers not Sky Sports
There's 1 camera, it needs to follow the action on the pitch, which it did.
Can you explain what sort of variation and imagination you're looking for?
Fine in Spain, I've 100 meg, suggest that you look at you internet speed. Great coverage...
Some find denial sweeter than reality.
Explanation unwarranted, should be obvious to anyone.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

Alan Spences Pupil wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:27 pm
Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm I just listened to Liam's interview. I thought that it was a bit lightweight and to me it seemed a bit complacent, bearing in mind that we lost at home to a team from a lower league and terminated an important income stream.
signed
Mr Grumpy
Quite agree, I hope he is not hanging his Directors coat on selling his best players to further their careers, good luck to them mind, I think his time as Manager has gone & you cant keep harking back to past glories, another mediocre season(s) that we have endured for too long now and patience will be thin, its his team now lets see some of the attacking intent that we heard of in pre season...
100% in agreement
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:29 am
Sand74 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:17 am Bit surprised at how down people are on the Team.
New Port Chat, same as the old Port Chat!
gazaprop

Post by gazaprop »

'ey - it is what it ;)
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 pm
Big Mac 1985 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:29 am
New Port Chat, same as the old Port Chat!
P1 W0 D1 L0 F0 A0 PTS 1.

Season well and truly over.