Southport 1-0 Chorley - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Port on the Kent

Re: Southport 1-0 Chorley - Match Thread

Post by Port on the Kent »

Good game that. It ebbed and flowed, both teams took turns to be the more dominant while trying to get around an incredibly fussy referee. A draw would have been fair, Chorley hit the bar and missed a sitter, while we missed a one-on-one and Sampson and Newell both fluffed free headers.

Morgan stood out a mile away, his quality makes him the best player on the pitch most weeks and although it would ruin the man of the match award to give it him every game, you could do! I was also impressed by Anson who covers a lot of ground, is responsible with the ball and good in the air. He has all he assets needed to be a top defender.

I still feel we are learning the system, when it all comes together we look good but it doesn't come together for long enough spells. I think the front three need to show a little more movement, quite often the wing backs were prevented from bombing on as they were (on a couple of occasions, literally) running into the wide men in front of them. The two wide attackers need to tuck in when we are on the break, drag their full backs with them and create the space, that doesn't happen often enough. I am not sure about Carver as a wide player either, would like to see him through the middle over Sampson.
Last edited by Port on the Kent on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Good win in tight game. This is Southport, so always on edge, but we were solid in defence and played the ball nicely at times. Young players show promise, and Winnard his best for some time.
Excellent coverage, liked the unforced chat between Nicola and Rob rather than pretending they were on Sky Sports. With a good view of the game, some fruity language in the background and Rob’s programme to consult in the boring bits, was almost like being there.
Well, almost.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:31 pm Good win in tight game. This is Southport, so always on edge, but we were solid in defence and played the ball nicely at times. Young players show promise, and Winnard his best for some time.
Excellent coverage, liked the unforced chat between Nicola and Rob rather than pretending they were on Sky Sports. With a good view of the game, some fruity language in the background and Rob’s programme to consult in the boring bits, was almost like being there.
Well, almost.
I didn't mind the effing, but the jeffing was going too far.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

A win is a win so well done, similar to SS game where again we ran out of steam around 65 mins , fortunately changes made on time and we continued to defended stoutly, got lucky due to poor finishing and just got over the line.
No goals yet in 4 in the Jack Carr stand end . The result sets us up nicely for the Trip to Blyth . Up the port have a good rest of the weekend now 👍
pbg

Re: Southport 1-0 Chorley - Match Thre

Post by pbg »

A hard fought win, well done to Liam, Jon and the boys, well done to Nichola and Rob for the excellent commentary, at short notice, I thought the moments of banter between you were good. Well done to the camera operator and the whole media team. My stream was excellent, only about 5 seconds of buffering in the entire match.
Last edited by pbg on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
port4ever

Post by port4ever »

Excellent coverage from the media team. Perfect for the whole game in Spain..
kiaken

Post by kiaken »

After half time fine tuning great picture second half. Thanks to all concerned.
mark thomas

Post by mark thomas »

Three points, another clean sheet, good, hard working performance.
Thought Winnard had a top game, but so did all our defenders and Dan Hanford, two great stops second half.
Congrats to Dylan on netting the winner, all quite encouraging really.
Streaming excellent throughout, well done the media crew and commentators.
portchat
Site Admin

Post by portchat »

Just wanted to pop on and say thank you for the kind words about the commentary this afternoon. I was very prepared to be on the receiving end of a good old fashioned Port Chat slating! :D

Myself and Rob had big shoes to temporarily fill, Alan and James have been excellent and get better each game.

We covered the roles at short notice and I’ll admit it’s been a very long time since I did any commentary to that extent, but it’s also a big dream come true and wanted to thank the club for being given that opportunity.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

You both did really well. Congratulations!
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Excellent coverage for your first effort, well done
tonyhey

Post by tonyhey »

Top job Nic and Rob, really enjoyed your commentary. It’s certainly not the same as being there, but I’m beginning to enjoy the streaming service.
Kenickie

Post by Kenickie »

Top class commentary Nic and Rob. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to you both.

As for the game... Great to get the win and a clean sheet. A narrower margin and tighter finish than I would have preferred but it was good to see us close the game out relatively confidently.

A good result against a much better team than the table would have you believe.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

Much better interview this time. Explained team choice, injuries etc. Referred to good and weak incidents on the field. Showed that he cares👍
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:53 pm
You can’t have effing without jeffing like you can’t have fish without chips, Ronnie, face facts.
mario

Post by mario »

Excellent commentary, loved Nicola's comment about sanitizing balls! Thanks to both of you.
Thought we were solid if a little laboured at times, imo, sometimes we need to speed things up a bit, but we stood firm and got 3 points against a team who I think will do well,
Thought Dan was superb and kept us in the game.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

SteH90 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:12 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:53 pm
You can’t have effing without jeffing like you can’t have fish without chips, Ronnie, face facts.
Some managers have gone straight to the jeffing stage.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

mario wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:42 am Excellent commentary, loved Nicola's comment about sanitizing balls! Thanks to both of you.
That spoilt the whole afternoon for me, as at that point my monocle fell into my champagne glass and smashed. Naturally I will be sending the club a bill in due course.
Port Yellow

Post by Port Yellow »

Just a relief to get a win on the board. 4 points from 2 games in what already feels like a stop/start season. Well done to Liam and the lads.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:50 pm
mario wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:42 am Excellent commentary, loved Nicola's comment about sanitizing balls! Thanks to both of you.
That spoilt the whole afternoon for me, as at that point my monocle fell into my champagne glass and smashed. Naturally I will be sending the club a bill in due course.
Thank goodness we don't have John Coleman!