Southport 1-0 Chorley - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Ronnie Hotdogs

Re: Southport 1-0 Chorley - Match Thread

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:50 pm
mario wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:42 am Excellent commentary, loved Nicola's comment about sanitizing balls! Thanks to both of you.
That spoilt the whole afternoon for me, as at that point my monocle fell into my champagne glass and smashed. Naturally I will be sending the club a bill in due course.
Thank goodness we don't have John Coleman!
I was getting through ten monocles a game at that point, it was becoming ruinously expensive. The Brick End is no better, with expressions like "r*ddy m*lon" or "d*ft p*ll*ck" thrown around with g*y abandon by the coarser elements of our fanbase.
Port on the Kent

Re: Southport V Chorley - Match Thread

Post by Port on the Kent »

David999 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:03 pm Chorley appear to squad names n shirts - always been an annoying feature of playing in NLN but Chorley seem to have overcome that - could we ?
York City have put on twitter that they are also adding names to shirts.

Had been impossible in previous seasons as there were no fixed squad numbers at this level, but now there are it appears to be at the club's discretion. Worth a look?
CheeseAndPort

Post by CheeseAndPort »

Just looking for YTT’s comments... or do they not comment when we win? :?
old gold and black

Post by old gold and black »

Well done Rob and Nic the coverage was great, no one has mentioned the camera operator who also did a fantastic job following the play in to the stand side corners which didn`t happen in the previous matches. Liams summing up was a fair reflection of the match and shows he is striving to make improvements within the squad, definitely agreed with him Winnard man of the match all day long with Hanford a close second.
gazaprop

Post by gazaprop »

old gold and black wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 pm Well done Rob and Nic the coverage was great, no one has mentioned the camera operator who also did a fantastic job following the play in to the stand side corners which didn`t happen in the previous matches. Liams summing up was a fair reflection of the match and shows he is striving to make improvements within the squad, definitely agreed with him Winnard man of the match all day long with Hanford a close second.
See pgb's post on page 2 re camera operator ;)
SteH90

Post by SteH90 »

I know Liam said he won’t be rotating every match but the players who came in mostly played well & improved our football. His praise of Winnard was particularly relevant as the other central defenders are both 23 so his Football League experience will have helped - I also think he uses the ball more thoughtfully than the massive hoof! The other players who came in were also good - Vasallo is a quality player so it’s mystifying he spent so long at a lower level, Anson continues to impress, Dan made sure we kept the three points with some excellent saves while Carver & Watson did OK (although the ref may disagree on Niall!).
I think it’s important to win a match that was quite even over the ninety minutes and that Chorley came into very well in the second half. I’m concerned we’re still running out of steam around the hour mark but must remember it was still only our 4th competitive match. Pushing up in the last few minutes worked well but then again we should always be on the front foot at home not just when defending a 1-0 lead!
Anyway I’m pleased to have got the win and hope we can build on it at Blyth.
The stream was excellent and the commentary team very good.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

Just wanted to add to the praise for the commentary and camera work, all excellent, thank you.
Liam's interview much better than previously and a good solid performance from the whole team on the field.
Keep up the good work everybody!
John Glendenning

Post by John Glendenning »

portchat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:55 pm Just wanted to pop on and say thank you for the kind words about the commentary this afternoon. I was very prepared to be on the receiving end of a good old fashioned Port Chat slating! :D

Myself and Rob had big shoes to temporarily fill, Alan and James have been excellent and get better each game.

We covered the roles at short notice and I’ll admit it’s been a very long time since I did any commentary to that extent, but it’s also a big dream come true and wanted to thank the club for being given that opportunity.
Personally I thought you were rubbish :D :lol: ;) (Well done 8-) )
YTT

Post by YTT »

CheeseAndPort wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 pm Just looking for YTT’s comments... or do they not comment when we win? :?
Yes only slightly disappointed it was only 1-0 and not the 2-0 i predicted in the other thread...keep up :roll:

Pleased it made you go to the trouble of registering though and welcome back good first post!
CFORD-SIX

Post by CFORD-SIX »

Firstly, the game. I thought we worked hard deserved at least a draw and the win was deserved if only for the great save Hanford made in the second half - I was sure it was destined for the back of the net. Two areas I wish we would improve on - closing down just outside the box, I feel we always give teams too much space in this area and secondly, try to use more width when we attack - we look so much better when we attack down the flanks and get good balls into the box. For me, Samson needs to gamble more and try get on the end of things in the 6 yard box. I like the movement Carver, Watson and Newell make - I would like to see the three of them start up front in one game. However, lets not be too negative - I enjoyed watching and good to get the win.

Secondly, the coverage - great effort well done to all those concerned.

Thirdly, this new forum has been refreshing as it has had good debate, contrasting views and some humour. Lets keep it that way and avoid some of the rubbish and personal ego massaging which took too much space on the old board. Well done to the moderators and keep it up please.
Ste_B

Post by Ste_B »

CFORD-SIX wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm...this new forum has been refreshing as it has had good debate, contrasting views and some humour. Lets keep it that way and avoid some of the rubbish and personal ego massaging which took too much space on the old board. Well done to the moderators and keep it up please.
Agreed. Well done all except Ronnie Hotdogs.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ste_B wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:39 pm
CFORD-SIX wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm...this new forum has been refreshing as it has had good debate, contrasting views and some humour. Lets keep it that way and avoid some of the rubbish and personal ego massaging which took too much space on the old board. Well done to the moderators and keep it up please.
Agreed. Well done all except Ronnie Hotdogs.
Don't UNDERESTIMATE me. I have just noticed the "add friend/foe" feature - you are in for it now.
Liamisdoingagreatjob

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

CFORD-SIX wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm Firstly, the game. I thought we worked hard deserved at least a draw and the win was deserved if only for the great save Hanford made in the second half - I was sure it was destined for the back of the net. Two areas I wish we would improve on - closing down just outside the box, I feel we always give teams too much space in this area and secondly, try to use more width when we attack - we look so much better when we attack down the flanks and get good balls into the box. For me, Samson needs to gamble more and try get on the end of things in the 6 yard box. I like the movement Carver, Watson and Newell make - I would like to see the three of them start up front in one game. However, lets not be too negative - I enjoyed watching and good to get the win.

Secondly, the coverage - great effort well done to all those concerned.

Thirdly, this new forum has been refreshing as it has had good debate, contrasting views and some humour. Lets keep it that way and avoid some of the rubbish and personal ego massaging which took too much space on the old board. Well done to the moderators and keep it up please.
Agree totally. Nice to come on here and all be respectful to each other but retaining often opposing views and some banter. Long may it continue, encouraging as many users as possible to give opinions without fear of ridicule.