National League Funding

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Redrobe

National League Funding

Post by Redrobe »

BBC Tyne & Wear page states that funding split agreed on an average crowd basis. We are due to get £30k a month while a handful of clubs in the North and South, eg Chester, Hereford and Torquay, to get £36k a month.
Redrobe

Re: National League Finding

Post by Redrobe »

Obviously mis typed funding but don’t know how to correct it.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Chester probably included the £100k they pay for their 2 managers in their budget -Waldorf and Statler :shock:
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

Another correction, Torquay are in the National League. The other three clubs at our level to get the £36k are York, Dulwich and Maidstone.
Sandgrounder SE

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

That is more than I expected. Given how much bigger gates York get, they don’t get much more of this money than we do.
Ronnie Hotdogs

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

This is all York's fault, and they are Err Nerrs anyway. They should donate their money to decent Lancastrian/Geordie causes, like black pudding for the inner cities or a pit pony sanctuary.
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

I guess it’s all about fixed and variable costs, rather than potential income. - or should be.

I've just seen Chester's manager on the BBC news. They are bleating about not getting enough.

The distribution algorithm is difficult to envisage. Should those who normally have more money than the others continue to have more? Is that a valid justification? In a competitive situation should it be the same for all clubs? Should it be based on the wage bill - if so, profligate clubs with big squads would get more than thrifty clubs. It would be interesting to know what the formula was.
Last edited by Redrobe fan on Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Devil was always in the detail. Looks like the distribution model didn't bother with much detail either!

So we receive £90k over 3 months and the example everyone will use is Curzon who last season averaged 382 but will receive £90k. Where as Boston who averaged 1410 will also get £90k.

Gloucester return home and would have expected bigger attendances and have spent some cash must now be left with significant shortfalls versus Curzon who are better off.

Always going to be winners and losers but i think from our perspective even with the central funding things will be very tight. Although none of us know the knock on impact on sponsorship deals and be great if we can get supporters back in the ground before the end of the season 2021 it's difficult and i'm sure some teams wouldn't have started the campaign if they knew then what they know now.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Not sure what the wage bill is these days, but 30k should be close to covering the monthly wage bill.
Don't forget we have streaming money to come in and furlough money in January.
I think we will be reasonably happy with that.

The clubs with the lowest budgets and smallest crowds will be best off.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Don't forget average gates and gate receipts should not correlate due to advanced season ticket sales.
Kempster911

Post by Kempster911 »

TrickyDicky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:53 pm Chester probably included the £100k they pay for their 2 managers in their budget -Waldorf and Statler :shock:
Another well known north west incumbent located on another
planet and whose name shall be useless pulls in half of this.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Surprise surprise- York are moaning about the funding...
gazaprop

Re: National League Funding

Post by gazaprop »

The problem with York is that for a number of seasons, they've suffered from delusions they are bigger and better than they actually are.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

York as we have said got a £2 + m sell on clause for Ben Godfrey which I suspect they knew was happening before they scabbed their vote to try and shaft the rest of the league. It would have been justice if they had received sweet fanny adams.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Hereford moaning as well.
Wrea Green Gold

Post by Wrea Green Gold »

Chester moaning as well.

So all the teams in NLN on bigger funding than us really do believe they are bigger than they actually are.
It will be interesting to hear the view from James about our package in his interview with Rob later.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Attendances are relevant to budget as most clubs biggest income streams and the ones you'd expect that draw the bigger crowds are the one raising it as an issue and same at National League level. As to whether is was prudent to budget on that basis this season is a different point but i have to say if we were averaging 1500 per home game i suspect wouldn't have been happy either.

Last Seasons Averages:

York 2706
Hereford 2047
Chester 2019
Darlo 1471

Fortunately Our Board have been prudent in terms of cloth cutting over the last 18months but imagine if this were two season ago.
Wrea Green Gold

Post by Wrea Green Gold »

So good to hear James( & Rob) sounding optimistic about the funding and income stream with memberships,season tickets ,match streaming in his interview.

COYY