Peterborough Sports Predictions

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Route66
----------
----------

Re: Peterborough Sports Predictions

Post by Route66 »

I live in hope that we will try another kick off one day where we retain possession!!!
IBarch
----------
----------

Post by IBarch »

3-2 port
1121, 43 away
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Just as a matter of interest, why do teams all now kick the ball backwards from the kickoff? When the rules changed to allow this, I assumed that this would give another option but that we would still see the ball being kicked forwards. In fact I have only seen the ball go forward once since the rule change. The rules still say you can score a goal from the kickoff. Someone should try.
Bizarrely, if you kicked back into your own goal from the KO, though, it would be a corner!
optimickstic
----------
----------

Post by optimickstic »

Let Cam take a goalkick kick off with the wind behind could be on target and quickest attempt on target or the earliest goal scored by a goalkeeper anywhere on the day. ;)
Gloucester man
----------
----------

Post by Gloucester man »

1-1 ,893
Scotch Egg
----------
----------

Post by Scotch Egg »

Not sure whether anyone on Port Chat knows enough to answer this, but what sort of fanbase do Peterborough Sports have? I've always assumed if you're a football fan from Peterborough, you'd support United, but then again, a Sports fan might find that imsulting, like assuming everyone from Nottingham would support Forest.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

Scotch Egg wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:01 am Not sure whether anyone on Port Chat knows enough to answer this, but what sort of fanbase do Peterborough Sports have? I've always assumed if you're a football fan from Peterborough, you'd support United, but then again, a Sports fan might find that imsulting, like assuming everyone from Nottingham would support Forest.
Just over 300 on Saturday.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/pete ... /2021-2022
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:03 pm Well they certainly won’t be bringing many - only had 360 for their first game at this level, and a fair share of those would have been fans of the visitors
Despite a remarkable rise from district league level in less than a decade it's difficult to see why anyone in Peterborough would choose them rather than Peterborough United.
We are the nutters, we come from the sea.
We must be nutters to watch SFC.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Scotch Egg wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:01 am Not sure whether anyone on Port Chat knows enough to answer this, but what sort of fanbase do Peterborough Sports have? I've always assumed if you're a football fan from Peterborough, you'd support United, but then again, a Sports fan might find that imsulting, like assuming everyone from Nottingham would support Forest.
Agree with your point other than the Nottingham comparison. Histortically Notts County have often been on a par with or higher than Forest.
hoofball
----------
----------

Post by hoofball »

3-1 archer, Walton, Bainbridge
LIAM WATSON'S YELLOW ARMY
sneekes
----------
----------

Post by sneekes »

Route66 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:14 pm I live in hope that we will try another kick off one day where we retain possession!!!
I saw a variation of the Southport kick-off routine in a Premier League game last season, which seemed more sensible to me. Instead of aiming for a player on the wing, it was aimed at a player running 10-15 yards infield, and a little bit deeper than Port aim it. This meant two positive things: Firstly, if they connect and a team mate picks it up - that team mate is in a much more dangerous area, and secondly, that if they miss the header - the fullback bombing down the wing has a second chance for a positive outcome.
portexileinbath
750 posts
750 posts

Post by portexileinbath »

I predict an amazing 5-2 victory and less than 3 posts complaining about our style of play. LW manager of the week and 2 players in team of the week.
Anyone know when we last won 3 league games on the trot, scoring 5 goals in each game ?.
Ralphy Rylance
Who is Ralphy Rylance?
Who is Ralphy Rylance?

Post by Ralphy Rylance »

Sandgrounder SE wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 pm Just as a matter of interest, why do teams all now kick the ball backwards from the kickoff? When the rules changed to allow this, I assumed that this would give another option but that we would still see the ball being kicked forwards. In fact I have only seen the ball go forward once since the rule change. The rules still say you can score a goal from the kickoff. Someone should try.
Bizarrely, if you kicked back into your own goal from the KO, though, it would be a corner!
More likely to retain possession a little longer with a pass back to where there's no opposition players rather than putting a team mate under immediate pressure with a forward pass.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:33 pm Get an early goal and it is relaxing afternoon, so knowing us a sift goal conceded early putting us under the cosh scrabbling for a late equaliser.

1-1
Sounds about right.
micky finn
----------
----------

Post by micky finn »

I usually have some sort of expectation, but is it ok to say that I'm going on Saturday with no clue what to expect, 5:0, 0:0, 0:5, something else, who knows?
My prediction ......... Southport or Peterborough will win unless it's a draw or called off.
It'll be interesting to see how accurate my prediction is.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Redrobe fan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:51 pm
Exiled Port Fan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:33 pm Get an early goal and it is relaxing afternoon, so knowing us a sift goal conceded early putting us under the cosh scrabbling for a late equaliser.

1-1
Sounds about right.
After 25 years, I've learned...
BlankPort
----------
----------

Post by BlankPort »

I have seen Peterborough Sports play last season against Bromsgrove Sporting and they were a solid force in that league and had some decent players. They shouldn't be written off so easily.

Southport 2 - 1 Peterborough Sports
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Peterborough 3-4 Southport
Competition: League
Date: 03/10/1960
Attendance: 17106

Southport Line-Up: Bert Harris, Fred Leeder, Bryan Griffiths, Roger Darvell, Jack Hannaway, Bill Rutherford, Eric Jones, Reg Blore, Ken Booth, Peter Harrison, Jimmy Blain,
Subs:
Goals: Eric Jones, Eric Jones, Reg Blore, Peter Harrison,

Admitedly that was United on a Monday..remember being glued to the wireless. We drew 3-3 in the return fixture at Haig Ave.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
Sandgrounder SE
----------
----------

Post by Sandgrounder SE »

Remember it well. My favourite team. Can recite it like people can recite Spurs’ double-winning team of 1961 or the World Cup winners of 1966.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

That was the team when I started supporting the Port. John Fielding is in my memory rather than Ken Booth.

Great days at Haig Ave.