Nelson 0 - 3 Southport

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
portchat
Site Admin

Nelson 0 - 3 Southport

Post by portchat »

Port are back in action this afternoon for a pre-season friendly at Nelson.

Kick off is at 2pm and you can follow live updates via the club twitter @southport_fc

Line up: McMillan, Challoner, Doyle, Ali, Anson, Oliver, Benjamin, Vassallo, Woods, Newell and Trialist.
Bench: Winnard, Morgan, Wood, Carver and Trialist.
The Commander

Re: Nelson 0 - 1 Southport

Post by The Commander »

Port 1-0 up at HT. Connor Woods goal.
haigavel

Re: Nelson 0 - 3 Southport

Post by haigavel »

Encouraging to note Wood on the bench.
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Finding it odd that we are still in pre-season as the PL starts. Convinced in my mind we always start before them...
Redrobe fan

Post by Redrobe fan »

It would be nice to have the observations of someone who was at the game.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Ok so I went today and here is my opinion.

I know it’s difficult given the level of opposition to know where we are at but I thought we looked decent.

We kept the ball on the deck and physically we look very strong. Big mention to the two wing backs Doyle and challinor who I thought were excellent some of the crosses put in thought were world class.

Connor woods will get more deserved game time this season and I feel he has the capability of having a decent season he played very well today.

Watson looked lively on the left wing and always looking fir the ball and newell put a good shift in and got a deserved goal. He has an incredible turn of pace over a short distance.

The three centre half’s of Ali, Anson and Oliver looked very commanding and quick. Big mention to the latter who looked much sharper than at times last season.

Special mention to Dylan Vassalo who I thought was excellent, very tidy on the ball and lovely left foot.

All in all a comfortable win and Tony Mc didn’t have an awful lot to do.

Early days but some very promising signs for the season ahead.

MOM today Jack Doyle
Four iron

Post by Four iron »

Apart from getting match fit what is the point in playing much poorer teams? I hope were not in for a big shock when we start the league against sterner opposition.
Alan Spences Pupil

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Four iron wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:56 pm Apart from getting match fit what is the point in playing much poorer teams? I hope were not in for a big shock when we start the league against sterner opposition.
Yes the results mean little apart from the winning mentality, not long to wait now before we find out how good the team is.
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Early prediction I know but we will finish in the top 3 this season.
Brianm

Post by Brianm »

Well done Jonny! Can't beat raging optimism in this dark world!
And to answer another poster, of course it is worth playing these games. As a training exercise for Liam it must be excellent, much better than standard training. Winning becomes a habit and a great habit to get in to. Admittedly these are lower standard teams now, but Bamber Bridge were a strong side and gave us a really good workout. Nelson were weaker and we could have scored more but great to see the attacking format of the team with these new tactics. Trialist (Niall - whisper it!) looks really impressive too and will score a good few goals in NLN. Biggest plus - there will be competition for places!
Exiled Port Fan

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

Four iron wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:56 pm Apart from getting match fit what is the point in playing much poorer teams? I hope were not in for a big shock when we start the league against sterner opposition.
Is it any different to playing Everton U15s? You need match practise, even more so when it will be 6.5 months between league matches. What matters is the players being on the pitch and getting game time. With the EFL back playing, there aren't many higher standard teams around!
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

You’d hope that the club have a friendly or two organised against National League opposition before the start of the season to provide a more stern test.
YTT

Post by YTT »

I hope we sign the trialist and cant understand why we don't get that done or have we and not announced?
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

YTT - Pretty convinced we will sign him up
Jonny Smith

Post by Jonny Smith »

Brianm wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 pm Well done Jonny! Can't beat raging optimism in this dark world!
And to answer another poster, of course it is worth playing these games. As a training exercise for Liam it must be excellent, much better than standard training. Winning becomes a habit and a great habit to get in to. Admittedly these are lower standard teams now, but Bamber Bridge were a strong side and gave us a really good workout. Nelson were weaker and we could have scored more but great to see the attacking format of the team with these new tactics. Trialist (Niall - whisper it!) looks really impressive too and will score a good few goals in NLN. Biggest plus - there will be competition for places!
Thanks Brian I think with all the doom and gloom around the pandemic we need to cling onto something to keep is cheerful, hopeful and positive and I just have this gut feeling this will be Southport’s year. I really like the set up of the team and I am only going off the tactics seen in a number of pre season games yes I get the level opposition leaves something to be desired but as you mention you still have to confidently beat these teams despite much sterner tests to come, however saying all this I really like what I am seeing and their is plenty of reason for us fans to be positive. Just want to all give a big mention to the fantastic work James, Christine etc... are doing for the club through these unprecedented times. Absolutely sterling work and huge credit must be given.

Good times ahead and come May I am convinced we will celebrating silverware(As in the National North Title).
Redrobe

Post by Redrobe »

My assumption is that he is keeping his options open in the hope a league 2 or National League club will come in for him. Obviously could be wrong.
Paulisi

Post by Paulisi »

Redrobe wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 am My assumption is that he is keeping his options open in the hope a league 2 or National League club will come in for him. Obviously could be wrong.
He has played all pre-season with us.
He will sign, may be a contractual issue delaying the announcement.
YTT

Post by YTT »

Paulisi wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:37 pm
Redrobe wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 am My assumption is that he is keeping his options open in the hope a league 2 or National League club will come in for him. Obviously could be wrong.
He has played all pre-season with us.
He will sign, may be a contractual issue delaying the announcement.
He was offered terms by Accy but hasn't signed according to their press release. So free agent hence Trialist for us. I cant help but fear a bit of a conflict of interest here as if it weren't Liam's son and had performed like he has pre-season i'm pretty sure we would have tied him down. Must be difficult for his dad as his dad you may be tempted to hold out and see what else comes along, whats best for your son, versus as Southport manager surely you want him in your squad. Lets see tricky one as i would imagine he will get a harder not easier time in the dressing room and from is old man.
mario

Post by mario »

Must be a tricky decision for Liam and his son to make, obviously if a club in a higher league came in, he would go. A tough one, would you really want to manage your son and the reverse, would you want to be managed by your father? I'm not sure what my opinion is.
What's yours?
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

The manager shouldn't be on the board of directors and the manager's son shouldn't be in the playing squad. That would be in the ideal world but this is the tinpot world of non-league football.