Squad assessment

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
Paulisi
----------
----------

Squad assessment

Post by Paulisi »

As the season is over, it may be worth assessing the squad we currently have.
I make it 17 players, of which we never saw Marcus Wood, so difficult to asess:

Dan Hanford - late re- signing, wasn't initial choice. Good shot stopper, but prone to silly errors and poor kicking.
Suspect he will probably leave, if we can find a suitable replacement.
Tony Macmillan - good solid backup for his age.
Jack Doyle - not as impressive as previous seasons, played as wing back, but quality into the box was poor.
Matty Challinor - brought in as a raiding full back, but played as wing back and again quality in the box was poor.
Adam Anson - solid as a rock despite being played on the left side.
Mo Ali - brought in to play on the left, but caught out there and shifted to the right. Plenty of pace and good in the air, but vulnerable against teams who play football on the deck.
Charlie Oliver - talked up as a player cable of moving up into the league, but never really stood out and got dropped to the bench.
Jack Bainbridge - struggled to find a position that suited. Was vulnerable at centre half and started to get to grips in midfield the longer the season went on
Dean Winnard- good defender, injury prone again and unlikely to return unless in a coaching role.
Russ Benjamin - plenty of talent, but seemed a little lazy, often you would get good patches and then go missing for long spell.
Dylan Vassalo - really talented, driving from midfield and has a creative spark
Marcus Wood - missed the season, unable to assess
Niall Watson - plenty of pace, but in and out of the team and a bit inconsistent
Jordan Archer - done well when he played, better when picking to ball up from deep
Marcus Carver - workhorse, similar to Jack, but with more pace. Needs more goals.
Connor Woods - huge talent, but a bit of an enigma. Tried him in a free role or as part of the front three, but seemed best when playing in the right side of midfield. Most creative player
George Newell - out until the end of the year with a leg break, but a natural goal scorer. Needs to work on his upper body strength and fitness.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Re: Squad assessment

Post by Ste_B »

I think it's a little difficult to judge some while we've been playing a pretty ineffective formation.

If get back to proper 4-4-2 Watson stuff I don't think we need many additions, but I think we need 'star players' in several key positions if we want to compete with the playoff teams.

I don't know anything about our wage bill but assuming the older, more experienced players are paid the most, do we get our monies worth on Hanford, Challinor, Winnard, Benjamin, Archer and Carver? One or two I think yes, others I'm yet to be convinced.
Port on the Kent
----------
----------

Post by Port on the Kent »

For me, I would keep twelve out of that lot. Doyle, Challoner, Anson, Ali, Benjamin, Vassallo, Wood, Woods, Watson, Archer, Carver, Newell.

Given how many times we start from scratch, that is not a bad basis. A few of them I see as squad players. I doubt this is our aim, but for me, there's about half a promotion winning eleven there.

GK: ?
RB: Challoner
CB: ?
CB: Anson
LB: Doyle
CM: ?
CM: ?
RW: Woods
LW: Watson
CAM:
CF: Archer

As that shows, it's the centre of the pitch we are lacking, particularly after Morgan's departure. Depends what route we go down, but we need a spine of hard working battlers of the Lee and Moogan variety to pull that team together. We were pushovers last season. If we can get the middle of the pitch sorted, an experienced centre half to pair with Anson and a more commanding goalkeeper it will go a long way. Recruitment is massive. Squad was too unbalanced last season, the ages were all wrong and we had half a team full of centre backs. It's fine to go young, but these players need blending with experience or everybody suffers. Long way off, six months to get this right.
Four iron
----------
----------

Post by Four iron »

If LW is still manager the route we will be taking is the aerial one.
Exiled Port Fan
----------
----------

Post by Exiled Port Fan »

The best Watson teams were a similar set up. Solid battles in the middle and pace out wide with hard working lads up top.

From what I saw this season it felt like we lacked that solid spine. We needed another solid centre mid who owned the centre circle and let no one through and a rock in central defence (Earl/Grand/Kilbane/Astles etc). We always looked vulnerable to a break and very vulnerable at set pieces.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

It will be season 2021/22 the world and and football has moved on.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Post by John Glendenning »

Four iron wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:01 pm If LW is still manager the route we will be taking is the aerial one.
Our most successful non-league manager ever (yes I am including the great Kettle in that). Look across Liam's career and it is possible to argue that he has been one of the finest most successful non-league managers of the last 15 years. "route one" as in "hoof-boing" has featured, most especially with his usually SUCCESSFUL Southport sides, but then, at the same time so have spells of one touch passing football. Watson cuts his cloth according to what resources he has and when he is able to attract solid experienced players (like Moogs) or raw diamonds like Carl, his accustomed blend of experience and relatively untried youth works well (witnessed by two titles and a couple of good runs in National league).
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

YTT wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm It will be season 2021/22 the world and and football has moved on.
I am not sure what you mean, YTT, in relation to tactics and squad assessment. Would you elucidate?
Four iron
----------
----------

Post by Four iron »

John Glendenning wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:35 pm
Four iron wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:01 pm If LW is still manager the route we will be taking is the aerial one.
Our most successful non-league manager ever (yes I am including the great Kettle in that). Look across Liam's career and it is possible to argue that he has been one of the finest most successful non-league managers of the last 15 years. "route one" as in "hoof-boing" has featured, most especially with his usually SUCCESSFUL Southport sides, but then, at the same time so have spells of one touch passing football. Watson cuts his cloth according to what resources he has and when he is able to attract solid experienced players (like Moogs) or raw diamonds like Carl, his accustomed blend of experience and relatively untried youth works well (witnessed by two titles and a couple of good runs in National league).
What has he done in the last 6 years?
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

Not as much as he did in the previous six. This does not mean that the next few years can not see success under his management.
John Glendenning
Best Landlord Ever
Best Landlord Ever

I would love to see Alan Moogan found a role within the club.
YTT
----------
----------

Post by YTT »

Redrobe fan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:42 pm
YTT wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm It will be season 2021/22 the world and and football has moved on.
I am not sure what you mean, YTT, in relation to tactics and squad assessment. Would you elucidate?
If you take the last 3 season (you can find an excuse for every season in terms of change transition or interruption, counter argument being more time to prepare etc and that will never change) we are averaging 53.5 Points per season. That's 14th or 15th place every season in a 42 game NLN season.

If you go back to Liam's record since leaving Southport April 2013 his record is actually 45.5 league points per season.

So unless something changes it will be more of the same.

Times have changed the lads keep themselves in good shape these days so be it 2 nights a week training or 3 days the important bit is what are they getting in the time we have them? Coaching and player development has really moved on in the last 5 to 6 years as have the players coming through in the game and the requirement coaching wise is different.

We all know LW has never been a tracksuit manager in terms of time spent on the grass and not sure when the last time he did a coaching course or a badge was? Some will say badges aren't relevant but up to date methods and understanding are.

Jon McCarthy and Liam Watson are two very experienced operators within the game at our level and have they represented value for money or delivered results? Could understand if the dynamic was a Manager cutting his teeth with experienced Assistant/Coach or vice versa but we are neither.

The interview with IK & LW covered briefly the board and the players but didn't touch upon the obvious consideration and understand may be difficult to do so with a party with vested interest on the call but i get the sense it won't change or worse still not even a consideration?

Liam as a Director, in a recruitment role, or advisory capacity to the next new up and coming manager/Head Coach i can get and he should be ideally placed to identify those people within the game who provide the best option to replace him. As First Team Manager not anymore me he retired once for a reason.

I'd like to hear the alternative view but i just can't see how or where or what the progression on the playing side has been or is coming from? This season the squad looked more unbalanced and can't even say we had a style of play and yet heard so much about identity?
Alan Spences Pupil
----------
----------

Post by Alan Spences Pupil »

Whoever the next Coach Manager is, they somehow need to get together a squad that will excite the fans a bit more, this Best Manager we have ever had is wearing a bit thin, it is the here & now, I hate the fact we appear to be a nurturing ground for other clubs, we never hear how much money has changed hands on a transfer deal.....I have nothing against Watson I am sure he has done his best & had some difficult decisions to make , but the Fans desperately need a good season to enjoy, particularly Home performances that in General have been abysmal for years.
In my time Bingham excelled Kettle performed miracles, Watson had his finest day at Harrogate, Futcher was really good as a Player Manager perhaps that's the way to go.
Its disappointing to see clubs of a similar ilk moving forward Accrington Chorley Alty, etc why cant we? There must be something or someone out there to find the missing link all very frustrating for us all.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

Thanks, YTT. I've got the message.
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

Somehow we need to either bring in the cash, or generate it, so that we can retain the good players have / get for a while longer before selling them on.
This requires outside investment in the club or a significant increase in crowds. Supping an extra beer in the bar pre match isn't going to achieve this. Understandably the crowds are not going to flock in to see a mediocre team playing mid table football. So trying to find outside backing seems to be the answer, how to do that is the problem.
During this season for example, how much higher up the table would we have been, if we had managed to bring in 1 or 2 good new players from the start and also hang on Dion & moogs until the seasons end (before selling them on)?. Play offs for sure methinks. With a couple of good loan signings even higher maybe.
Finally, bringing in a new manager isn't the answer, giving the one we have the resources he needs is.
Ste_B
----------
----------

Post by Ste_B »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:20 pm Somehow we need to either bring in the cash, or generate it, so that we can retain the good players have / get for a while longer before selling them on.
This requires outside investment in the club or a significant increase in crowds. Supping an extra beer in the bar pre match isn't going to achieve this. Understandably the crowds are not going to flock in to see a mediocre team playing mid table football. So trying to find outside backing seems to be the answer, how to do that is the problem.
During this season for example, how much higher up the table would we have been, if we had managed to bring in 1 or 2 good new players from the start and also hang on Dion & moogs until the seasons end (before selling them on)?. Play offs for sure methinks. With a couple of good loan signings even higher maybe.
Finally, bringing in a new manager isn't the answer, giving the one we have the resources he needs is.
We won’t get the same money if we keep hold of our players until the end of the season. It’s a sellers market once the season has started, but there is a lot more for clubs to choose from in the summer when so many players are out of contract.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Exiled Port Fan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:51 pm The best Watson teams were a similar set up. Solid battles in the middle and pace out wide with hard working lads up top.

From what I saw this season it felt like we lacked that solid spine. We needed another solid centre mid who owned the centre circle and let no one through and a rock in central defence (Earl/Grand/Kilbane/Astles etc). We always looked vulnerable to a break and very vulnerable at set pieces.
We need some better players and a fresh start in the manager department. :(
SfcFPA
----------
----------

Post by SfcFPA »

I hesitate to say this for fear of a backlash but if it hadn't been for Liam's careful management of the budget over the past two years and his incredible record for getting players into the league I am under very little doubt that we would not have a football club to support at all.
I am quite happy to accept that with the resources we have available to us we have found our level and it is abundantly clear that the decisions he makes are in the long term interests of the club and not his own management career. It would be very easy for him with a manager's hat on to not want to sell players or slash the wage bill but thankfully he did not choose that route.
Jonny Smith
----------
----------

Post by Jonny Smith »

SfcFPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:20 pm I hesitate to say this for fear of a backlash but if it hadn't been for Liam's careful management of the budget over the past two years and his incredible record for getting players into the league I am under very little doubt that we would not have a football club to support at all.
I am quite happy to accept that with the resources we have available to us we have found our level and it is abundantly clear that the decisions he makes are in the long term interests of the club and not his own management career. It would be very easy for him with a manager's hat on to not want to sell players or slash the wage bill but thankfully he did not choose that route.
Nobody is doubting what you are saying re Watson but in a director capacity only. This is where his role should be. As for being our manager his best days are over I’m afraid and he should move upstairs and a fresh start is needed.
Four iron
----------
----------

Post by Four iron »

SfcFPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:20 pm I hesitate to say this for fear of a backlash but if it hadn't been for Liam's careful management of the budget over the past two years and his incredible record for getting players into the league I am under very little doubt that we would not have a football club to support at all.
Think two of the three sold on were not LW signings. We will never know but another manager may have obtained better transfef fees.