Southport 2-0 Hereford - Match Thread

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
yellowfever
----------
----------

Re: Southport 2-0 Hereford - Match Thread

Post by yellowfever »

A fantastic victory..
When you consider that almost an entire defence was missing in Doug Tharme, Jack Doyle and Chris Doyle with Jack Bainbridge and Dylan Vassalo filling in brilliantly in unfamiliar roles-this made the performance and result even more outstanding.As others have said quite rightly,the workrate in once again awful conditions for football was truly remarkable from start to finish and from every single player. The team ethic is well and truly on show for fans to see and enjoy.I just hope we can keep our forward options available throughout the season because the Archer/Carver combo with yesterday Connor Woods running from behind will be too much for most defences in this league-as proved yesterday and gives us a great chance to progress further up the table. Niall Watson too with Isaac Buckley Ricketts also and with George Newell hopefully to return in January.
I hear that Hereford's Josh Gowling is the latest Manager to moan about coming away from SFC with nothing-well long may it continue.He should be grateful his team didn't have to deal with Doug Tharme's long throw all afternoon yesterday-they probably got off lightly..
My main concern remains in defence with the Chris Doyle injury and the pending Liam Edwards departure not mentioned again in Liam's latest interview.
A big run of proposed away games now, but we can only approach one at a time.My personal opinion is that I'll be amazed if Guiseley goes ahead looking at the weather forecast for Tuesday and who knows for Saturday at Blyth too?
There's always a bit of fortune involved at how the fixtures pan out-lets hope we get to play.
Well done to the Management and squad-great day..
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Having just watched the highlights on the Club Site,am convinced that Connor will soon score while in mid-somersault.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
portexileinbath
----------
----------

Post by portexileinbath »

When we had 4 pts after 8 games and I said we would make the play offs, I was told "to wake up and smell the coffee"...... I am not an expert on coffee but I think it had an aroma of Arabaca cadabara and things have been magic since :D
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:38 am When we had 4 pts after 8 games and I said we would make the play offs, I was told "to wake up and smell the coffee"...... I am not an expert on coffee but I think it had an aroma of Arabaca cadabara and things have been magic since :D
It's still premature to be talking about playoffs when you've only played a third of the season and 4 more home games than away.
Lets keep our feet on the floor here-celebrate that we have a Management and playing squad that are together as a team and squad.Something that we havn't had for many seasons at SFC. They are capable of improving too-I'm sure of that, providing that we are able to keep the vast majority of this squad together.
We are going into Winter with the threat of Covid still around and make no mistake-other clubs will come calling in January too.Instead though of always looking at it as a negative that other clubs are interested in our players-lets look at this as a positive for Southport FC.What the club must do is strike a balance so that if a player is good enough to be moved on that the transfer deal is totally correct for the football club in all it's parts AND that a perecentage of that fee is ALWAYS re invested back into the playing side.
That way everyone wins-player,club and very importantly-the incredibly loyal supporters of SFC.
exile
----------
----------

Post by exile »

portexileinbath wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:38 am When we had 4 pts after 8 games and I said we would make the play offs, I was told "to wake up and smell the coffee"...... I am not an expert on coffee but I think it had an aroma of Arabaca cadabara and things have been magic since :D
It's quickly reaching the point where people will be disappointed if we don't make the play-offs..!

I think the thinness of the squad and injuries are our main worries, but the lads have done us proud...
Sam
----------
----------

Post by Sam »

exile wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:04 pm It's quickly reaching the point where people will be disappointed if we don't make the play-offs..!

I think the thinness of the squad and injuries are our main worries, but the lads have done us proud...
For me it was confidence I thought they were lacking, before for the run they showed flashes of good football, but when getting the ball didn't really want to hold onto it for any length of time. Alty took advantage of that, but that was it, at times there wasn't that much difference between the two teams.

This run will have undoubtably brought them some confidence and I hope they kick in and continue it, or if there is a defeat treat it like the bump that it is. Similar to the great run we had a decade ago.

Hereford was a big test and we came through it, hopefully on the road performance improves. It seems odd to be talking about a Southport team with a good home record!