RIP Alex Russell

Main subforum for all things Southport FC
SfcFPA
----------
----------

RIP Alex Russell

Post by SfcFPA »

I am very sad to have to announce that Alex Russell passed away yesterday evening.
I got to know Alex very well over the past few years running the former Players Association and nothing gave me more pride than being able to inducted into the hall of fame in 2019.
For the Football Club to lose arguably its greatest ever manager and it's greatest ever player within the same week is quite simply unfathomable.
It is a very sad week indeed.
Last edited by SfcFPA on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
One Club Since 1888
https://amzn.to/3BlNHHM
---
Visit our website: Southport FC Former Players Association
formerplayers@southportfootballclub.co.uk
@SouthportfcFPA
Join our lottery for a chance to win £25,000
Http://sfc1881.uk/Lottery
siddle
----------
----------

Re: RIP Alex Russell

Post by siddle »

What horrendous news. I hope we honour Billy and Alex suitably. Condolences to the Russell family.
puskas
----------
----------

Post by puskas »

It is dreadful news. . . I grew up with Billy and Alex at Haig Avenue and they were the heroes of the great team of the 1960's that I was brought up supporting. . . It is like a lump taken out of your childhood. . . Later Alex will always be remembered for the famous Championship winning goal against Hartlepool in 1973. . RIP in to both and we all think about their families.

First the greatest manager in the clubs history dies, then three days later probably his best player dies too. . .

Worth a look at the link below

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... ssell.html
From the Shores of the River Ribble
To the Banks of Fine Janes Brook
superbike999
----------
----------

Post by superbike999 »

Really sad to hear this news. Alex used to sit in front of my season ticket seat with his good friend Colin Alty, who I know will be very upset. RIP Alex and condolences to his family and friends.
Redrobe fan
----------
----------

Post by Redrobe fan »

He really was super to watch, a great player.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

My favourite Port midfielder. Can’t believe we have lost 2 great men within 4 days. A very sad weekend for all Port old stagers. He also sat in front of us in the stand. Condolences to all his family and friends.
TrickyDicky
----------
----------

Post by TrickyDicky »

RIP Alex and condolences to all you family.
He was a terrific player throughout his long service and a loyal stalwart and supporter as loyal as any other player I don’t doubt we’ve had in our history. What a loss what we wouldn’t give to have a player remotely of your class and temperament bolster our ranks. He too should be a worthy candidate to have a side of the ground named after him maybe the blowick end could be the Alex Russell terrace
Very sad news 💛🖤
Pirate Jim
----------
----------

Post by Pirate Jim »

Agreed. Would be a great tribute to our always to be remembered heroes.
badger
----------
----------

Post by badger »

Great Player and a very nice man . Well known in Churchtown sad loss. RIP .
Stratford Excile
----------
----------

Post by Stratford Excile »

Another tremendous loss to our club-an amazing player and a real hero of my teenage years.

RIP Alex.
haigavel
----------
----------

Post by haigavel »

Thoughts go out to Alex's family.
As a youngster believed we had the best in John Fielding and then along came Alex.
To this day Eusebio never disputed that Russell was better than him.
In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age."
yellosoul
----------
----------

Post by yellosoul »

Heartbreakingly sad news coming so soon after Billy

Southport’s greatest ever midfielder, arguably our greatest ever player, who I had the privilege of watching during his prime

Losing people of this calibre is too much for us 60’s kids to take
john riley
----------
----------

Post by john riley »

Again more sad news for Southport Football Club R.I.P. Alex
old gold and black
----------
----------

Post by old gold and black »

What a sad few days for our club, Billy and Alex gave us all such pleasure in the 60s. The memories will live on and in the minds of many they will always be remembered as two very special people. Sympathy to their families, RIP Billy and Alex.
Liamisdoingagreatjob
----------
----------

Post by Liamisdoingagreatjob »

Sad news.
Personally never saw him play but he was clearly loved and valued by many around me in the mainstand.
Equally he clearly cared deeply for the club. Regularly there in the stands even recently.
RIP Alex
kiaken
----------
----------

Post by kiaken »

More bad news Remember Alex playing and that goal. Was great to see him still watching the port with Colin. RIP Alex.
Yellow River
----------
----------

Post by Yellow River »

Once again, a tremendously sad day for our club. Alex was a wonderfully gifted player whose skilful play was a joy to behold. He was one of my boyhood idols. Thank you so much Alex. RIP.
OLD GOLD
----------
----------

Post by OLD GOLD »

Oh how sad -- RIP Alex another hero from a golden era gone , after Southport he went to Blackburn and I remember watching him playing against Everton in the FA Cup in around 1970 , had a great game then also ... sadly missed
exile
----------
----------

Post by exile »

It's a very sad period...
yellowfever
----------
----------

Post by yellowfever »

As a 10 year old in 1965,I'm not sure I appreciated him as much as I possibly should in the handfull of games I saw him play.He scored in that debut game of mine- the trio of Russell,Alty and Spence against Luton Town that day.

Many also forget the important role that he played later on his career in the soon to be commerated season of 1972/73 where he played half of the season from that December onwards helping the club to it's only Football league title.

A fantastic achievment under Jimmy Meadows and Brian Green.

I do remember a pivotal home game in March 1973 against Mansfield Town-at the time our biggest rivals with the Port running out 3.1 winners with Alex Russell breaking the deadlock on the night early in the second half.Not forgetting standing behind the goal in the Scarisbrick End as his now famous free kick against Hartlepool in stoppage time somehow squirmed under Barry Watling to secure the title.
I'm sure many people have forgotten that spell of his career.....

Undoubtably a club legend who would be worth a fortune in today's "market"

I wonder if their are any details of the funeral available,as I'm sure many people would want to pay respects to him?

Many condolences to his family.